Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMO might be negative, need help! Ive been here for 2 years :(

Wikiposts

LMO might be negative, need help! Ive been here for 2 years :(

Old Jul 4th 2013, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

PieroG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO might be negative, need help! Ive been here for 2 years :(

Hello!

I am a 20 years old brazilian guy, at first I went to toronto to study english for 8 months in 2010, went back to brazil after that but then I enrolled Vancouver film school to study game design for one year, after studying ... i got a post-graduate work permit, I´ve been working in my company for almost 11 months now, my work permit is going to expire before i complete 12 months but I REALLY want to continue working for my company, they can´t get an LMO because the LMO requirements apparently are higher now, my job falls under a graphic designer position (But really i am a game designer) and I don´t get paid the median wage described in the work in canada website for this position, so probably my LMO will get refused?

I am just searching for options, can anybody give me any good advice? I really need it ... I´ve been here for so long and I really love canada and my job.

Piero
Old Jul 4th 2013, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO might be negative, need help! Ive been here for 2 years :(

How about the PNP? No LMO required.

Although it would take 8-10 weeks to get to the nomination stage (when you get a work permit) and a few weeks to gather all the paperwork, so you'll need to get cracking and be prepared to stop working for a few weeks in between the two.

HTH.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How about the PNP? No LMO required.

Although it would take 8-10 weeks to get to the nomination stage (when you get a work permit) and a few weeks to gather all the paperwork, so you'll need to get cracking and be prepared to stop working for a few weeks in between the two.

HTH.
I was searching the requirements, do you think I could apply? by the time my work permit expires, it will be 11 months that I've been working in my company, but I am not sure Vancouver film School is a legible canadian institution since it is private.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PieroG
I was searching the requirements, do you think I could apply? by the time my work permit expires, it will be 11 months that I've been working in my company, but I am not sure Vancouver film School is a legible canadian institution since it is private.
I've no idea, you'll need to see if you meet the eligibility criteria yourself I'm afraid! Look in to it asap and if you do, then speak to your employer and try and apply urgently.

If you don't qualify for PNP, then you're out of luck and have no other options if you can't get a LMO.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

yoyoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also BR.

I think once you complete 12 months of work you can try CEC, but unless you get some kind of extension to wait for this process in Canada, you will have to leave the country. After a few months, if they confirm you are elegible, they can give you an open work permit, while the rest of the process goes (not sure if this will happen if you are outside Canada).

Another fair option is to get a raise

Anyway, if you just applied for the LMO, you are already screwed. I am waiting for it for 3 months now. I believe you will have to leave the country anyway...
Old Jul 5th 2013, 3:05 am
Just Joined

I can apply for an work permit before i get my lmo response, just i have to submit proof that i applied.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I can apply for an work permit before i get my lmo response, just i have to submit proof that i applied.
How does that work? A work permit will not be issued until a positive LMO has been issued by Service Canada and you are in possession of said LMO.
Making an application is one thing being issued is another.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:44 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you spoken to HR at VFS? I'm sure you're not the first person who's done this. I'm not sure what you mean by the private statement? My understanding is they just need to be a registered BC company. Check out the website for the BC PNP all the info you need is on there.