LMO - Job Offer

Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice
Default LMO - Job Offer

Hi

Been a while since I've been on here!

All the family are here now since March 2013 and settling nicely in Beaumont nr Edmonton, AB.

We all have PR except eldest daughter.

After 4 months in our eldest daughter has decided to visit us and has decided she would like to stay. So we visited a local company that has open LMO ready. She went for interview today and has a job offer.

So, question how do you apply for a temp visa whilst in Canada, as I know you normally have to apply outside Canada ??

Not sure which application forms to use or how to go about it.

Any thoughts

Cheers

Angela.M
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO - Job Offer

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi

Been a while since I've been on here!

All the family are here now since March 2013 and settling nicely in Beaumont nr Edmonton, AB.

We all have PR except eldest daughter.

After 4 months in our eldest daughter has decided to visit us and has decided she would like to stay. So we visited a local company that has open LMO ready. She went for interview today and has a job offer.

So, question how do you apply for a temp visa whilst in Canada, as I know you normally have to apply outside Canada ??

Not sure which application forms to use or how to go about it.

Any thoughts

Cheers

Angela.M
Congrats!

If you are within driving distance of the border, your daughter could take a copy of the LMO together with her contract and obtain a TWP at the point of entry.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:27 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by siouxie
Congrats!

If you are within driving distance of the border, your daughter could take a copy of the LMO together with her contract and obtain a TWP at the point of entry.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Note, that if the job requires a medical, she can't "flagpole"
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

I thought about flag polling would be the best way but didn't know if u still had to apply beforehand!

As far as I'm aware there's no medical required, is it something your employer would mention?

Guess it's a long trip to the boarder then!

Is it better to fly out/in rather than drive out/in, as far as visa entitlements goes, or does it not make any difference? Just something I heard!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Forgot to mention, if you have an LMO for 2 yrs can you apply for PR/PNP if you are then offered the job permanently?

Regards

Angela
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I thought about flag polling would be the best way but didn't know if u still had to apply beforehand!

As far as I'm aware there's no medical required, is it something your employer would mention?

Is it better to fly out/in rather than drive out/in, as far as visa entitlements goes, or does it not make any difference? Just something I heard!
If flying in then you would need to apply for an ESTA prior to travelling which costs $14 and valid for 2 years or less if passport expiring before 2 years.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
If you drive down then you just apply for the I94 waiver at the border and pay the $6.

I would say a 7 to 8 hour trip one way in a vehicle would be cheaper than flying.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi

Forgot to mention, if you have an LMO for 2 yrs can you apply for PR/PNP if you are then offered the job permanently?

Regards

Angela
If her job is in the medical profession or she is working with children then she would be required to have a medical prior to a TWP being issued.

If you read the link I gave you earlier, it explains the various ways of obtaining a TWP, the easiest being at the point of entry - just take the LMO, job contract, passport and $150.

If she has been offered a permanent full time job then she could either
1) Apply for FSW2 (with job offer) immediately (Federal Skilled Worker) provided her job is classified as AO or B.
2) Ask her employers if they would be willing to sponsor her for Provincial Nomination (if they qualify) and apply for PNP. Once nomination is received from the Province she would apply for PR
3) Wait a year and then apply for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If flying in then you would need to apply for an ESTA prior to travelling which costs $14 and valid for 2 years or less if passport expiring before 2 years.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
If you drive down then you just apply for the I94 waiver at the border and pay the $6.

I would say a 7 to 8 hour trip one way in a vehicle would be cheaper than flying.

Hi

Yes it would! Just got to work out the best border to drive to from Edmonton.

Cheers

Angela
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by siouxie
If her job is in the medical profession or she is working with children then she would be required to have a medical prior to a TWP being issued.

If you read the link I gave you earlier, it explains the various ways of obtaining a TWP, the easiest being at the point of entry - just take the LMO, job contract, passport and $150.

If she has been offered a permanent full time job then she could either
1) Apply for FSW2 (with job offer) immediately (Federal Skilled Worker) provided her job is classified as AO or B.
2) Ask her employers if they would be willing to sponsor her for Provincial Nomination (if they qualify) and apply for PNP. Once nomination is received from the Province she would apply for PR
3) Wait a year and then apply for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Hi

Yes I did read through quite a few notes, although it can be a little confusing depending on situation.

And I did read out medicals, so no she doesn't need a medical as she's not working with vulnerable people etc, etc.

Didn't know about the CEC, will swat up on this.

Cheers for the help, most appreciated!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes it would! Just got to work out the best border to drive to from Edmonton.

Cheers

Angela
The USA one
Head for either Coutts or Carway for flag pole as some of the smaller ones are not always equipped to issue work permits.
Coutts is on highway 4 south of Lethbridge which joins onto Interstate 15.
Avoid it on weekends if possible as it can get busy.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The USA one
Head for either Coutts or Carway for flag pole as some of the smaller ones are not always equipped to issue work permits.
Coutts is on highway 4 south of Lethbridge which joins onto Interstate 15.
Avoid it on weekends if possible as it can get busy.
What do you say at the boarder when u enter USA, you're just visiting or obtaining a temp visa?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What do you say at the boarder when u enter USA, you're just visiting or obtaining a temp visa?
Depends if you want lunch or a bit of shopping in the USA. There again not much in that area unless you drive further south to Shelby or Great Falls.
A lot just say they want to go straight back to Canada to obtain a work permit or become a PR so USCBP are used to this.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Depends if you want lunch or a bit of shopping in the USA. There again not much in that area unless you drive further south to Shelby or Great Falls.
A lot just say they want to go straight back to Canada to obtain a work permit or become a PR so USCBP are used to this.
Hi

OK cheers and thanks all for the advise!

Angela