Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMO & IEC Work Permits- can i have both at same time?

LMO & IEC Work Permits- can i have both at same time?

Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:43 am
Just Joined

sarah_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Question LMO & IEC Work Permits- can i have both at same time?

Hi, got an odd question about work permits- my prospective employer applied for a LMO in Dec 2010 which got turned down- they are now applying for it again under a different NOC code which judging by last time's processing time we should hear back on sometime this month. In the meantime i applied for the IEC and got the confirmation letter for a year's work permit really quickly. I have been waiting to hear back on the LMO instead of using the IEC permit as then in theory i could get almost 2 years work straight off- use the LMO permit for a year (i've heard most people are only getting 1 year permits at the minute, but obviously in theory i could get more than that, which would be great), then use IEC permit after that if i needed to, or if it comes to it, use the IEC one if i got laid off in the winter construction slowdown or whatever.

I emailed my Canadian employer today to check on the status and it turns out that somehow they havent sent off the correct main application form. i dont know how, maybe the government changed the form number, who knows. Anyway, as a result of this no doubt the LMO application will be delayed further and being desperate to start work I am thinking of just using my IEC permit now.... the question is, if i'm working under the IEC permit, but then got a positive LMO, could i go get the LMO permit AS WELL just to see if i get given 2 years? Is there any issues with having 2 work permits? I wouldnt want to risk it if border control thought i was taking the mickey and wouldnt give me a new one and took my old one away. And i wouldnt really want to exchange the IEC one for the LMO one as the IEC one means i could get 2 jobs or change employer if i wanted to. I know this is odd... i'm not a crook or anything, i just genuinely want to work and as i'm planning on settling here i want to be able to give myself as much working time as possible from the off, nothing worse than being here feeling temporary this entire time!!

Thanks in advance- sorry for the long post but i find the best answers on here are when people are given sufficient background

Sarah
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO & IEC Work Permits- can i have both at same time?

If you apply at the Port of Entry after both the LMO and IEC is approved, the immigration officer will see two entries on the CAIPS database, and you will have to make sure they choose the right one when issuing the work permit. In terms of time spans, the LMO will only be valid for 6 months after it is issued, and the clock starts ticking on the IEC once that has been approved so you can't really bank the time in the way you seem to be describing I'm afraid.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO & IEC Work Permits- can i have both at same time?

As CJ says, you do have a potential time issue with the IEC visa, as I believe they need to be activated within a certain timeframe from their issue. Double check when you can activate it at the latest.