LMO?? Help!

Old Jun 20th 2010, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

RB08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO?? Help!

Hi all,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with this. I am currently in Edmonton, but just visiting....AGAIN. My girlfriend lives here and for the past 2 years I have spent more time in the air, than on land. My work visa should be another 4 months (approx). I have an application on hold with the Edmonton police, as apparently they over-recruited last year, and I have another job offer for when my visa comes through. But I would really like to stay and work here (legally).
How does the "LMO" work? And is anyone on here currently in work as a result of completing an LMO? How long? How much? Etc, etc.

Any pointers would be a huge help, thank you.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO?? Help!

Originally Posted by RB08
Hi all,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with this. I am currently in Edmonton, but just visiting....AGAIN. My girlfriend lives here and for the past 2 years I have spent more time in the air, than on land. My work visa should be another 4 months (approx). I have an application on hold with the Edmonton police, as apparently they over-recruited last year, and I have another job offer for when my visa comes through. But I would really like to stay and work here (legally).
How does the "LMO" work? And is anyone on here currently in work as a result of completing an LMO? How long? How much? Etc, etc.

Any pointers would be a huge help, thank you.
What work visa are you waiting for?

For the LMO, it's something that your potential employer has to apply for (you can't). It's free to apply for, and to get it the employer has to prove that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Then once HRSDC are satisfied, they issue a LMO which is specific to that one job so ties you to it.

It can take up to 6 months to get the LMO, although can also be quicker but it depends on how much proof of advertising the employer provides etc, so it's very case dependent.

Depends if you can get your potential employer to apply for one asap, but it's worth a try as it may just come through quicker than your work permit.

Good luck.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:44 am
Just Joined

RB08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMO?? Help!

Apologies, not a work visa. My girlfriend is sponsoring me for PR as a common-law-partner, as we have been living(ish) together for a year.
Thank you for your info. regarding the LMO, my future employer is now looking into it and he will get back to me in a couple of days.