LMO exempt IT work permit

Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

_Aidan_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO exempt IT work permit

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help with this...

I'm in Toronto on a one year working holiday visa (from the UK) that expires in 3weeks. I'm working in an IT role for a company that are happy to give me a job offer letter so I can receive my work permit through the IT LMO exempt process.

My question is, how do I get this? I've read that you just have to go to a POE and present the job offer and proof of experience.
So is it as simple as going to Pearson Airport in Toronto and them issuing it to me there and then?
Or would I have to fly back to the UK and then come back into Canada on the new work permit??

Thanks for any help,
Aidan

Last edited by _Aidan_; Aug 16th 2010 at 12:59 am.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:12 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO exempt IT work permit

You need to leave Canada and return to present at a POE. Easiest option would be a trip to the US.

Or you could look into doing it by applying in Canada, details are on the CIC site.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you G77.

Have you ever heard of people being turned down for the IT work permit even though they have a valid job offer/experience?

My worse nightmare is crossing the boarder hoping to come back in on the new work permit and being told I cannot come back into Canada.

Aidan
Old Aug 16th 2010, 9:38 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Is it work permit or PNP?

Which area of IT are you in if you don't mind me asking?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Aidan_
Thank you G77.

Have you ever heard of people being turned down for the IT work permit even though they have a valid job offer/experience?

My worse nightmare is crossing the boarder hoping to come back in on the new work permit and being told I cannot come back into Canada.

Aidan
Very nearly happened to me during a round the flag post trip to Seattle and back to at Calgary airport when I changed jobs due to by original employer closing down their operation in Canada. I had a young immigration officer who had never heard of the LMO exempt IT classes. Fortunately a more experienced officer overheard what was going on.

You need to make sure that you have a watertight case regarding the applicability of your experience and job to one of the as I recall six job categories. Have all you letters of reference, certificates, etc as well as a letter from your employer stating what you have to offer that he can't get from a Canadian.

As G77 says, you can do it in Canada although it can be a little slow. The only reason that I did it the POE route was that I couldn't afford to be unemployed for 3 months or so with a family to support. At least doing in in Canada, you can't get a nasty shock!!!!!

Last edited by Posidrive; Aug 16th 2010 at 9:59 am.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone.

I will be applying through the 'Software Developer - Services' role. I've experience as an IT Developer and a Network administrator. In both my positions I've experience with the requirements from the table they require. I'm sure there's not going to be a test at the boarder though right?

Does anyone know if the boarder people at Niagara are particularly strict? I've a lot riding on it as my girlfriend and I are applying together as common law partners - meaning if I get it she gets it.

I'm hoping to go this weekend - I'll let you all know how it goes!

Aidan
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

I will be applying through the 'Software Developer - Services' role. I've experience as an IT Developer and a Network administrator. In both my positions I've experience with the requirements from the table they require. I'm sure there's not going to be a test at the boarder though right?

Does anyone know if the boarder people at Niagara are particularly strict? I've a lot riding on it as my girlfriend and I are applying together as common law partners - meaning if I get it she gets it.

I'm hoping to go this weekend - I'll let you all know how it goes!

Aidan
It tends to depend on the individual officer. Apart from the round the flagpole TWP application I occassionally had a few uncomfortable moments returning from business trips outside of Canada. Don't arrive either late at night or too early in the morning when their nature is not at its best.

Don't quite get what you mean by applying together as common law partners. I thought it was just a case that if you get a TWP for a skilled job, then your wife/partner automatically gets an open (subject to a few restrictions) TWP that would be issued along with yours (as long as she is there with you) at the POE. Make sure that you have enough documentation to satisfy the officials that you are in fact common law partners. You can of coarse apply in Canada for her TWP, subject to the usual slow processes

Fingers crossed for you.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Posidrive
It tends to depend on the individual officer. Apart from the round the flagpole TWP application I occassionally had a few uncomfortable moments returning from business trips outside of Canada. Don't arrive either late at night or too early in the morning when their nature is not at its best.

Don't quite get what you mean by applying together as common law partners. I thought it was just a case that if you get a TWP for a skilled job, then your wife/partner automatically gets an open (subject to a few restrictions) TWP that would be issued along with yours (as long as she is there with you) at the POE. Make sure that you have enough documentation to satisfy the officials that you are in fact common law partners. You can of coarse apply in Canada for her TWP, subject to the usual slow processes

Fingers crossed for you.
Sorry yes I meant my girlfriend/CLP is hoping to get her TWP issued along with mine at the boarder.

Thanks for the advice about early in the morning/late at night. I'm thinking a nice early afternoon arrival would be best. Or maybe Friday afternoon when the officers are looking forward to the weekend.

Two last questions -
1) Is there any benefit of doing it through an immigration lawyer? I'm guessing no since I'm going to go to the boarder myself to submit my forms?

2) My current working holiday visa expires on September 8th. If I go to the boarder this weekend will they issue me with a new work permit from September 9th or will it be from this weekend - August 28th?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry yes I meant my girlfriend/CLP is hoping to get her TWP issued along with mine at the boarder.

Thanks for the advice about early in the morning/late at night. I'm thinking a nice early afternoon arrival would be best. Or maybe Friday afternoon when the officers are looking forward to the weekend.

Two last questions -
1) Is there any benefit of doing it through an immigration lawyer? I'm guessing no since I'm going to go to the boarder myself to submit my forms?

2) My current working holiday visa expires on September 8th. If I go to the boarder this weekend will they issue me with a new work permit from September 9th or will it be from this weekend - August 28th?

My employer hired an immigration consultant /lawyer to do the paperwork and write a covering letter plotely requesting the immigration authorities to let me it. But at the end of they day they didn't do anything that you can't do yourself, and my employer only did it because they are a big international company who as a matter of course out sources immigration paperwork.

Just make sure that you have the letter of employment, etc, from your employer and you should be OK.

I'm pretty sure that the new work permit will be valid from the start your new position commences since the two are tied.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Posidrive
My employer hired an immigration consultant /lawyer to do the paperwork and write a covering letter plotely requesting the immigration authorities to let me it. But at the end of they day they didn't do anything that you can't do yourself, and my employer only did it because they are a big international company who as a matter of course out sources immigration paperwork.

Just make sure that you have the letter of employment, etc, from your employer and you should be OK.

I'm pretty sure that the new work permit will be valid from the start your new position commences since the two are tied.
Thanks Posidrive. This forum has been a fantastic help.

I've got a meeting scheduled with an immigration lawyer on Thursday for a free consult. I may as well see what they think/what they can offer and how much it would cost.

Thanks again everyone, I think I've got all the information I need - I'll let you know how it goes!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering will they try and contact my employers at the POE? Because I'm planning on going this Saturday and thinking it might be difficult for them to do so at the weekend.

Thanks for any help,
Aidan
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

I GOT IT!!

Got it on Saturday at port of entry at Niagara Falls.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Aidan
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:46 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats - glad you got it sorted and get to stay! Next hurdle is PR....