LMO and duration of TWP

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:58 am
  #1  
Animal Member
Thread Starter
 
FelisCattus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Blighty
Posts: 55
FelisCattus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO and duration of TWP

Hi Folks,

My LMO states 1 year for the duration of employment, but my job offer letter says the position is permanent. When I apply for my TWP at the POE, will they look at the LMO or the job offer letter when deciding how long to issue a TWP for?
I read on another post that an immigration officer said that if the job offer letter had given a time frame i.e. 2/3 years then he could have issued a 2/3 year TWP.
So if I ask my employer to write me a letter stating 3 years - will that make any difference or is the LMO going to outweigh it?

Cheers guys.
FelisCattus is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:30 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 337
crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice
Default Re: LMO and duration of TWP

Job offer is wrong - you cannot have permanent position on temporary work permit. The position must be temporary. You need temporary job offer for WP, especially if you want to get one at POE.

Work Permit will not be issued for period longer than validity of LMO.
crazy72 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:34 am
  #3  
Animal Member
Thread Starter
 
FelisCattus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Blighty
Posts: 55
FelisCattus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMO and duration of TWP

Right, so should I get him to change it to say that the job is a one year contract then?
FelisCattus is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:43 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 744
chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO and duration of TWP

Originally Posted by FelisCattus
Right, so should I get him to change it to say that the job is a one year contract then?
i think you need a letter saying that the position is for 1 year but they would be prepared to offer you a permanent position if you obtained a permanent residency visa.

You can then use this letter + the LMO to apply for PR (after you get your TWP)
chanceUK is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:45 am
  #5  
Animal Member
Thread Starter
 
FelisCattus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Blighty
Posts: 55
FelisCattus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMO and duration of TWP

Great thanks guys
FelisCattus is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:20 pm
  #6  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO and duration of TWP

Originally Posted by chanceUK
i think you need a letter saying that the position is for 1 year but they would be prepared to offer you a permanent position if you obtained a permanent residency visa.

You can then use this letter + the LMO to apply for PR (after you get your TWP)
My OH's LMO also states 1 year as the duration of the job, even though he has been offered permanent employment. I think that is just what they do in the first instance so that you can only get a 1 year TWP and then have to leave if you have not been granted PR. If you only have a Temporary 1 year Contract I don't think you can apply for PR under the Arranged Employment route, as that obviously potentially leaves you without a job after a year!
If you want to apply for PR, then your employer must write a letter to say that they will employ you for an "indeterminate period", subject to the granting of PR status. You need a notarised copy of your TWP to put in your PR application with this letter as well.
I think I have got that right
helcat12 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:02 pm
  #7  
Animal Member
Thread Starter
 
FelisCattus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Blighty
Posts: 55
FelisCattus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMO and duration of TWP

Originally Posted by helcat12
My OH's LMO also states 1 year as the duration of the job, even though he has been offered permanent employment. I think that is just what they do in the first instance so that you can only get a 1 year TWP and then have to leave if you have not been granted PR. If you only have a Temporary 1 year Contract I don't think you can apply for PR under the Arranged Employment route, as that obviously potentially leaves you without a job after a year!
If you want to apply for PR, then your employer must write a letter to say that they will employ you for an "indeterminate period", subject to the granting of PR status. You need a notarised copy of your TWP to put in your PR application with this letter as well.
I think I have got that right
Well that makes sense, so I'll get them to change the job offer letter to a one year position, then provide a separate letter offering a permanent position for the PR application.

Cheers!
FelisCattus is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.