Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMO chances? - Network/system Administrator

LMO chances? - Network/system Administrator

Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

chaddsuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO chances? - Network/system Administrator

Hi All

My potential employer is sending away for an LMO for me shortly, I am a Cisco Network administrator/System admin which falls under NOC B, I am looking to move to Manitoulin and the company have been trying to fill this position for around three years unsuccessfully.

The wage and benefits package is competitive so I am not worried about that, I am wondering if when service Canada look at this do they look at the specific area (Manitoulin) or do they look at Ontario as a whole when they make their judgment as to whether there are labour shortages in my field of work?

Obviously common sense dictates that there are labour shortages in that area however not sure how service Canada actually determine this?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: LMO chances? - Network/system Administrator

Also to add...

I have been researching at workingincanada.ca and have found that they expect there to be more people looking for work in my area than job openings....

see here

Does this mean I am unlikely to get an LMO or will they actually take the facts into account (the company have been looking for 3 years for someone for this position and its on a remote island with a small population of 12000 people)

Stressing out now lol
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

A the risk of making this thread a one man show I found the following quote at this link ......

"Previous Rules for LMO Applications

In the past, Service Canada accepted applications for certain occupations considered to be occupations that were in demand. Such occupations are those where a company demonstrates that it had advertised on the Government of Canada’s national Job Bank for a minimum of 7 calendar days or it could be shown that the company had established sincere recruitment efforts to hire workers. This standard for these occupations in demand has now been cancelled. Now a new standard applies to all occupations regardless of whether they are in demand are now subject to the new minimum recruitment requirements."

I am thinking that maybe service canada maybe do not take a look at which occupations have the highest demands rather just that the employer can show that they were unable to find a Canadian suitable for the role and that they have advertised the role correctly etc?

Hoping someone can offer me some advice before I go crazy constantly second guessing myself!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

And at this link its says "whether the temporary foreign worker is likely to fill a labour shortage;"

I am thinking I'll just give up and see what comes back in 12 weeks or whatever lol
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:00 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that nobody wants to move to Manitoulin ? Have you done any research into the place ? It isn't exactly the center of the universe !
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Could it be that nobody wants to move to Manitoulin ? Have you done any research into the place ? It isn't exactly the center of the universe !
Haha well I do want to move there, its only a small place but its great for families and I have a friend there also so know a fair bit about the place

That being said the last two candidates (Canadian) who visited the Island turned down the position as they thought the Island was too remote so you probably have a point!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:06 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaddsuk
And at this link its says "whether the temporary foreign worker is likely to fill a labour shortage;"

I am thinking I'll just give up and see what comes back in 12 weeks or whatever lol
HRSDC will take into account the local and Provincial situation and also the job specifics in deciding whether to approve LMO.

I would suggest that it is likely that if your employer can prove that they have advertised and made all possible efforts to recruit a Canadian, then you should be fine.

It can do no harm to provide extra information to support your case, as my husband's company did.
They included the recruitment procedures they had gone through, details of the applicants they had had for the job, their scores on the job-related test and their performance at interview - all to support the fact that these applicants did not have the required experience, competency or knowledge to be awarded the post.

I would say that if your company has offered people the post and yet had them turn it down because of the location (which, of course they cannot change or do anything about!) then they could include that to support why they need to look for a foreign worker.

That won't sway the process significantly, but it is all evidence that they are failing to fill the post from within Canada.

Other than that, don't worry about the LMO process.
There isn't anything you or the employer can do but provide what HRSDC ask for and over and above that if they can and then just wait and hope for the best.
Good Luck.