LMO from Alberta

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

mweness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO from Alberta

Hi All,

We have opted to secure a job offer and go the TWP route and apply for PR as soon as we land in Canada. We come fully packaged as a family of 4 with 2 girls (5 and 10).

We have had a good start to our plans, have a few active interviews in the pipeline and also managed to get a job offer from one of the potential employers. They applied for a LMO in December 2010 and we are now waiting for the verdict and the nerves are kicking in. The LMO is for an IT position that falls in the NOC 2171 category. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience they can share with me on how long a LMO from Alberta can take to process.

Thinking positively, the employer is based in Sherwood Park, Alberta so any thoughts about moving a young family to this area are most welcome.

Thanks for reading!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO from Alberta

Can take 2 weeks, or can take several months - sorry, but nobody can really tell you as each application is different! If your employer has provided plenty of proof of advertising, etc, then hopefully it won't be too long.

Do make sure you have a plan to apply for PR as soon as poss, unfortunately TWP's are far from secure particularly in the current economic climate, and particularly not ideal with a family. We've seen many people on this forum be made redundant with a TWP and have to return to the UK just as their kids have settled in.

Re: Sherwood Park, there are a few forum members that live there so have a quick search and hopefully you'll find some relevant threads.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mweness View Post
Hi All,

We have opted to secure a job offer and go the TWP route and apply for PR as soon as we land in Canada. We come fully packaged as a family of 4 with 2 girls (5 and 10).

We have had a good start to our plans, have a few active interviews in the pipeline and also managed to get a job offer from one of the potential employers. They applied for a LMO in December 2010 and we are now waiting for the verdict and the nerves are kicking in. The LMO is for an IT position that falls in the NOC 2171 category. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience they can share with me on how long a LMO from Alberta can take to process.

Thinking positively, the employer is based in Sherwood Park, Alberta so any thoughts about moving a young family to this area are most welcome.

Thanks for reading!!!
We live in Sherwood Park, so if you have any questions about the area, please feel free to ask. We have two children also (girls, 3 & 5).

I had a new LMO granted last year and it took about 6 months, but I think it's supposed to take only around 2 months.

Good luck!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Finally got the LMO yesterday and now for the TWP, I am not a British Citizen so need to apply for visa as well.

Thanks for the offer Jericho, we are busy plotting our way through the map trying to pick out target schools and areas within Sherwood park, trying to take it 1 step at a time so that we do not get too far ahead of ourselves.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:34 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I am considering a very similar route.

What area of IT do you work in? How did you find the job hunting and Market in Edmonton? How does the pay compare

I work in IT as an Enteprise Architect, 15 yrs experience in a number of sector, and am looking to move to Edmonton with my wife and 2 girls (1 and 4)

I have sent of a few job applications via monster.ca really just to test the water, but would appreciate any info from someone who has done it.

Have family in Edmonton and have been to sherwood park a few times, nice area, really like the leisure centre there with the pools and ice rink. Though we would probably move near my family who are in Grizbeck area.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:37 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mweness View Post
Finally got the LMO yesterday and now for the TWP, I am not a British Citizen so need to apply for visa as well.

Thanks for the offer Jericho, we are busy plotting our way through the map trying to pick out target schools and areas within Sherwood park, trying to take it 1 step at a time so that we do not get too far ahead of ourselves.
Sherwood Park isnt that big, so if you move here, you'll never be more than 5/10 mins away from anywhere else. In other words, I wouldnt worry too much about specific subdivisions; there are no bad areas and the schools are all of an equal standard.

If you're interested, it was -25 last week, but spring has finally decided to make an appearance and the snow has just about started to melt.
These photos were taken on Sunday...

Any questions, feel free to send me a PM...
Attached Thumbnails LMO from Alberta-p1080046.jpg   LMO from Alberta-p1080047.jpg  
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:45 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

If your LMO doc advises you to apply for provincial nomination I'd got hat route to PR. Getting the provincial nomination means you don't have to get another LMO in order to extend your TWP if needed. Just getting a response from my PR application from Buffalo has taken 6 months.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

I here you on that, and that is my plan of action, my LMO is only for a year so too short to expect status change to PR in that timeframe, so will apply for provincial nomination first to extend stay.

I work as an ERP implementation consultant (JDE and SAP) and used monster.ca and indeed.ca to look for posting and also targeted companies using the above applications and posted my resume on there career pages. I had a few hits but big draw back was most companies wanted me to have already landed in Canada.

I did not specifically target Edmonton, I spread my applications around Canada.

Just grateful to finally have an opening, now hopefully the TWP application is a formality.

-25 wow, good thing we will come when it has warmed up