Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMIA and Work Permit as a IEC Working Holiday status

LMIA and Work Permit as a IEC Working Holiday status

Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:04 am
Just Joined

bigmick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMIA and Work Permit as a IEC Working Holiday status

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently in Canada under the IEC working holiday category. I am about 5 months into my 1 year working holiday and possess a second Letter of Introduction for an additional 2 years under IEC Working Holiday.

I have a full-time (40 hour per week) job where my employer wouldn't mind putting in a LMIA application in for me to support my stay here in Canada.

My questions to you guys:
  1. For the express entry CEC is 1 year work experience without a LMIA backed job going to provide me with enough points to gain permanent residence? Would it provide me with any points?
  2. I've read on the CIC website that you cannot apply for a work permit whilst you are in Canada unless you already possess a work permit and just need to extend it. What I'm not sure about is if this includes an open work permit? (which I currently have with the IEC Working Holiday visa).
  3. Can my employer at least apply for a LMIA whilst I am working for my employer here in Canada?

Thanks in advanced for any help and guidance you can provide me, I'm looking for answers from people who've been through this already and can talk from experience.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMIA and Work Permit as a IEC Working Holiday status

Hi,

1. We can't know how many you score, so won't know if it's enough points without a LMIA or not (although it's unlikely tbh). You can see what scores are getting ITA's, irrc the lowest so far has been about 470, so if you score less than that you will need the LMIA. And of course, the LMIA will pretty much guarantee you get picked as you'll be well over that score then, so if your employer is prepared to do it, just go for it.

2. yes you can apply for a TWP - when it says you can't apply inside Canada it just means that you have to 'flagpole' to get a TWP.

3. Yes, and you can also apply for a TWP - see above. Loads of people on the forums get new TWP's every week, they just go to a POE and apply there, there's a Wiki article on where to obtain a TWP which may help.

HTH, good luck.