Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Lmia timeline and reasons for not being approved

Lmia timeline and reasons for not being approved

Old Aug 24th 2022, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Ceris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lmia timeline and reasons for not being approved

Hi,

LMIA was applied for by employer in June and at the time, the timeline for approval was around 48 business days. Its been over 48 business days and we’ve still not had an answer so Im in complete limbo with it all, it is driving me insane!

Is there anyone in the same position? Does anyone know reasons an LMIA could be refused?

tia
Old Aug 24th 2022, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lmia timeline and reasons for not being approved

Originally Posted by Ceris
Hi,

LMIA was applied for by employer in June and at the time, the timeline for approval was around 48 business days. Its been over 48 business days and we’ve still not had an answer so Im in complete limbo with it all, it is driving me insane!

Is there anyone in the same position? Does anyone know reasons an LMIA could be refused?

tia
Their processing times are always crazily optimistic, and they do say they have delays at the mo. About 3-4 months is the norm, so you've got a way to go and I really wouldn't worry yet.

Reasons for refusal would be those that you'd expect - not high enough salary, job not being advertised widely enough or in the right places, Canadians that could do the job etc.

Good luck, hope you get a positive result soon.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply!
Its so frustrating having to wait so long and not being able to plan ahead but knowing that it could take 3-4 months helps lots so thank you 🙏
The employer has never employed anyone through LMIA before so I just hope she did enough for them to approve me 🤞

thanks again 🥰
Old Aug 26th 2022, 8:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your reply!
Its so frustrating having to wait so long and not being able to plan ahead but knowing that it could take 3-4 months helps lots so thank you 🙏
The employer has never employed anyone through LMIA before so I just hope she did enough for them to approve me 🤞

thanks again 🥰
No worries.

Did the employer advertise in all the required places for the minimum length of time? And evidence who applied and why they weren't suitable if Canadian/submit the Transition Plan? And is paying you at least the median wage for your NOC? If so, and all the other requirements have been met (i.e. she's submitted the required business docs etc), then there's no reason for it to be refused, so fingers crossed you'll get a positive result soon.

Good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Hi,
she advertised at 4 different jobsites including Job.ca (which is a must). I assume she gave good reasons for not employing the applicants who applied. As for the wage, I think it was appropriate for the job, having researched other positions available so lets hope its good enough 🤞🤞
It certainly is an emotional rollercoaster of a journey before planning the actual move 😩🙈 Every day is different, I want to go then I dont want to go 🤣
thank you once again for your reply. I will keep you posted 👍
Old Oct 23rd 2022, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi again, still no update on the LMIA and its well over 4 months since the employer submitted the form. Is anyone else in the same situation as me?
Old Oct 24th 2022, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi again, still no update on the LMIA and its well over 4 months since the employer submitted the form. Is anyone else in the same situation as me?
I'm sure they are, there's such a big backlog at the moment with all apps. Which NOC is it for and which province are you going to?
Old Oct 24th 2022, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

NOC 6341 and Calgary, Alberta

I did think it may still be a backlog and I cant make any plans for anything until I get a yes or a no. I just hope I know before the New Year!
Old Oct 24th 2022, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi,

NOC 6341 and Calgary, Alberta

I did think it may still be a backlog and I cant make any plans for anything until I get a yes or a no. I just hope I know before the New Year!
Hopefully it won't be too much longer, it's horrid being in limbo I know.

I appreciate it's a bit of a 'chicken and egg' situation where you may not want to get the certificate of qualification side of things started until you have the LMIA in hand, but it can quite a while to get licensed so might be worth looking at if you don't already have it sorted.

Good luck, hope you hear soon.

Old Oct 24th 2022, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

can I do that from the UK?

Thanks I appreciate your input on it, it is really horrid being in limbo (
Old Oct 24th 2022, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

can I do that from the UK?

Thanks I appreciate your input on it, it is really horrid being in limbo
I think you can only sit the exam in Canada IIRC, not sure about the rest of it though.
Old Oct 24th 2022, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

I didnt think you could. Thanks for the info 👍