Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

LMIA step by step guide for employers

LMIA step by step guide for employers

Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMIA step by step guide for employers

Originally Posted by scotty1974
How does this option work exactly? A friend of mine's application for the CEC visa was too late for one of the 8000 spots. He is going to apply for EE and has a permanent skilled job with a bank. Does his employer just apply for an LMIA to support his application and say they want to keep him? Or do they still need to advertise the role first?
Hiring Skilled Workers and Supporting their Permanent Residence | ESDC

This doesn't mention a reduced fee though if you need a TWP as well.

"Employers who wish to hire skilled foreign workers through 1 of these immigration programs may also want to hire these workers temporarily while their application for permanent residence is being processed by CIC. As a result, employers can apply for a dual intent Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which requires paying the processing fee. These dual intent LMIAs can be used to support the foreign nationals’ application to CIC for a: permanent resident visa; and temporary work permit."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...14-12-01.asp#8

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 30th 2015 at 10:33 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:36 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

If only I had come out to canada a couple of years before. I could have got a years experience and applied for CEC without the need of an LMO/LMIA and without having to get ECAs and English test done up front. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Do you think it might be better for me to wait to get a years experience in my role. If I change jobs and get another full time job can the time in both jobs count towards the year or does have to be from only one job?
Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
If only I had come out to canada a couple of years before. I could have got a years experience and applied for CEC without the need of an LMO/LMIA and without having to get ECAs and English test done up front. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Just to clarify, but you'd still have needed an IELTs done prior to applying, even before EE, as it had to be sent with the initial application. Can't recall off the top of my head if an ECA was a requirement of CEC, but if so that would have had to be sent as part of the initial app too.

HTH.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:03 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to clarify, but you'd still have needed an IELTs done prior to applying, even before EE, as it had to be sent with the initial application. Can't recall off the top of my head if an ECA was a requirement of CEC, but if so that would have had to be sent as part of the initial app too.

HTH.

Oh well it doesn't really matter anymore any way

Could someone please answer my question in regards to full time work with two seperate jobs for the year for CEC. If I start a new job does the year start with my new job or can I use my previous time with my previous employer count towards CEC

This would be more useful for me at the moment
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

Oh well it doesn't really matter anymore any way

Could someone please answer my question in regards to full time work with two seperate jobs for the year for CEC. If I start a new job does the year start with my new job or can I use my previous time with my previous employer count towards CEC

This would be more useful for me at the moment
Under CEC so long as the work experience is full-time, within the last 3 years, more than 30/hours a week and in Skill Class 0, A or B then it's supposed to count, including having more than 1 employer.

However from reading on other forums it appears the actual CRS point calculator is being picky when it comes to recognizing non-continuous employment, not sure if it's a bug or by design.

But to surmise, you should be fine using more than one employer so long as the role satisfies the minimum requirements.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 4:27 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by doubleym
Under CEC so long as the work experience is full-time, within the last 3 years, more than 30/hours a week and in Skill Class 0, A or B then it's supposed to count, including having more than 1 employer.

However from reading on other forums it appears the actual CRS point calculator is being picky when it comes to recognizing non-continuous employment, not sure if it's a bug or by design.

But to surmise, you should be fine using more than one employer so long as the role satisfies the minimum requirements.
Thank you
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

The form for LMIA has clear info about what is required of employer so just check them.

anyhow, if your employer can't be bothered with doing all those activities such as Ads/stalls he can choose to support your PR; and on the employer Transition plan schedule C form- he can just do this single activity of support your PR i.e. give you a permanent job then he can apply for TWP LMIA to get a positive response.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 4:38 am
Bex in the city

Slightly off topic but is there any point in someone applying through express entry if there is no hope in hell in getting a positive LMIA.

It seems the minimum amount of points is around 800 right now

I see people have said that my company can support me with my PR. How would that work if they can't get an LMIA. Is this through CEC, after I have a years experience as I thought I still needed an LMIA for the crucial 600 points?
Old Feb 4th 2015, 5:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Slightly off topic but is there any point in someone applying through express entry if there is no hope in hell in getting a positive LMIA.

It seems the minimum amount of points is around 800 right now

I see people have said that my company can support me with my PR. How would that work if they can't get an LMIA. Is this through CEC, after I have a years experience as I thought I still needed an LMIA for the crucial 600 points?
1. No way around the 600 points for no LMIA, except for those that have an approved PNP nomination.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 6:44 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. No way around the 600 points for no LMIA, except for those that have an approved PNP nomination.

So how would I get myself nominated for PNP as a skilled worker?
Old Feb 4th 2015, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So how would I get myself nominated for PNP as a skilled worker?
Read this link
Welcome BC - For B.C. Employers

for other streams
Welcome BC - The BC PNP
Old Feb 4th 2015, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

scotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the reply guys. Turns out my friend's company really want to keep him, they are offering him the services of an immigration lawyer at their expense
They are applying for the dual intent LMIA, to support his PR application and to get a TWP if required also.
They are an international bank and have sponsored employees to work in Canada in the past, so looks like he might be one of the lucky ones if he can get the LMIA approved
Old Feb 4th 2015, 1:33 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thanks. Il have a read and forward the information on to my employers

Will this be an easier route then getting the LMIA in theory?
Old Feb 4th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Il have a read and forward the information on to my employers

Will this be an easier route then getting the LMIA in theory?
As far as I know, all the PNP requires is a permanent job offer in a NOC A/B/0, no LMIA is required.

The processing times for the old PNP are quite long - these times are just to get the nomination (you still need to apply for PR)

Welcome BC - Processing Times

The Express Entry PNP stream is also an option

Welcome BC - Express Entry British Columbia

Still no LMIA needed.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 8:29 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by bc2015
As far as I know, all the PNP requires is a permanent job offer in a NOC A/B/0, no LMIA is required.

The processing times for the old PNP are quite long - these times are just to get the nomination (you still need to apply for PR)

Welcome BC - Processing Times

The Express Entry PNP stream is also an option

Welcome BC - Express Entry British Columbia

Still no LMIA needed.
Thanks, this is looking pretty positive although I have only skim read the eligibility criteria for employer and employee.

I will send this information when I go into work tonight.

It is possible that my other job has an opening coming up very soon - they have previously completed PNP applications for employees but the job will only be contacted at the moment and from what I have read that means I am not eligible to apply and have to apply for another role or perhaps wait for it to go full time