Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living in Windsor, working in Detroit - PR status?

Living in Windsor, working in Detroit - PR status?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

mr.cheerful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Windsor, working in Detroit - PR status?

I have a dilema. I've been offered a job in Detroit, but I would like to live in Windsor, ON to preserve my Canadian PR status. However, I am getting differing opinions as to whether this would count towards my PR days, since I would be commuting over the border each day. Does anyone know?
Thanks. John.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Windsor, working in Detroit - PR status?

Is it a transfer from a Canadian company? If so, it would count towards your PR status anyway.

But according to CIC "for the purpose of calculating the number of days to comply with the residency obligation in IRPA A28(2)(a), a day includes a full day or any part of a day that a permanent resident is physically present in Canada. Any part of a day spent in Canada, or otherwise in compliance with A28(2)(a), is to be counted as one full day for the purpose of calculating the 730 days in a five-year period.

So IMO, if you're only working there 9-5 (or probably 7-9 if it's US hours!), then that should count towards your PR.

HTH.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

mr.cheerful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is it a transfer from a Canadian company? If so, it would count towards your PR status anyway.

But according to CIC "for the purpose of calculating the number of days to comply with the residency obligation in IRPA A28(2)(a), a day includes a full day or any part of a day that a permanent resident is physically present in Canada. Any part of a day spent in Canada, or otherwise in compliance with A28(2)(a), is to be counted as one full day for the purpose of calculating the 730 days in a five-year period.

So IMO, if you're only working there 9-5 (or probably 7-9 if it's US hours!), then that should count towards your PR.

HTH.
Thanks for you reply. It's a German company, with Canadian and US subsidiaries. I'll be paid by the US subsid. so it looks like I can't actually live in Detroit "on Canadian business" as it were. But, thanks for the reference about numbers of days in Canada - it's quite a relief!

If you don't mind, I have followup questions.

1. Should I pay Canadian or US taxes?
2. Which healthcare plan should I use?
3. Should I post these questions in a new thread!?

Thanks again. John.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr.cheerful
Yes please! This part of the forum is for visa related stuff, so the tax experts may not see it buried here, post it in the main Canada forum which is for general lifestyle stuff.

I'd also suggest you post it in the US forums too.

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:28 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for you reply. It's a German company, with Canadian and US subsidiaries. I'll be paid by the US subsid. so it looks like I can't actually live in Detroit "on Canadian business" as it were. But, thanks for the reference about numbers of days in Canada - it's quite a relief!

If you don't mind, I have followup questions.

1. Should I pay Canadian or US taxes?
2. Which healthcare plan should I use?

Thanks again. John.
1.) The company will withhold US taxes so you'll need to file a US tax return. Not entirely sure if you'll be resident or non-resident in the US for tax purposes - you'll need to look that up. You should then get a credit for US taxes paid on your Canadian tax return so you won't be double taxed. Unsure how Social Security/Medicare vs EI/CPP will work.

2.) I'd say you'd be best get OHIP (pretty sure you have to anyway as an ON resident) and US health insurance through your employer (if you will qualify as a non-resident...) so that if you have a heart attack at work you don't go bankrupt. You can then work out whether you do dental/optical etc in Canada or US.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Interesting questions.

I actually know somebody who also works for a German company located in the US and lives in Canada, but near Niagara falls. I had not thought of these issues.

Please post a link to your other thread!
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:50 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots and lots of people work in Detroit and live in Windsor - personally I don't know the best answers to your questions, but I do know it's not an unusual situation. There are lots of local accountants that will do both returns for you and likely have some advice or contacts for the other questions...
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have a dilema. I've been offered a job in Detroit, but I would like to live in Windsor, ON to preserve my Canadian PR status. However, I am getting differing opinions as to whether this would count towards my PR days, since I would be commuting over the border each day. Does anyone know?
Thanks. John.
Are you permitted to work in the US?