Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living temporarily in Canada on a tourist visa, and continuing to work for a UK compa

Living temporarily in Canada on a tourist visa, and continuing to work for a UK compa

Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:50 am
Just Joined

CATHERINEH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living temporarily in Canada on a tourist visa, and continuing to work for a UK compa

Hi - hoping someone can help me...
The company I work for in the UK employs me as a homeworker - ie. I have remote access, a work laptop with access to all the necessary systems, and can essentially work from anywhere.
If I enter Canada on a tourist visa for the usual permitted length of time (up to 6 months), can I continue to work for my UK employer, from Canada? I would be getting paid into my UK bank account as normal, and obviously wouldn't be engaging in any work with a Canadian employer.
Any guidance/help gratefully received. thanks, Catherine
Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living temporarily in Canada on a tourist visa, and continuing to work for a UK c

Originally Posted by CATHERINEH
Hi - hoping someone can help me...
The company I work for in the UK employs me as a homeworker - ie. I have remote access, a work laptop with access to all the necessary systems, and can essentially work from anywhere.
If I enter Canada on a tourist visa for the usual permitted length of time (up to 6 months), can I continue to work for my UK employer, from Canada? I would be getting paid into my UK bank account as normal, and obviously wouldn't be engaging in any work with a Canadian employer.
Any guidance/help gratefully received. thanks, Catherine
Short answer Yes you can continue working for your employer
What kind of activities are not considered to be "work"?
long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
Temporary Foreign Worker Program: What is work?