living part year in Canada

Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

peut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nice
Default living part year in Canada

My husband and I are of retirement age and would like to live part of the year in Canada. I understand that we can only stay for six months of the year. Question is - how long do we have to be away visiting or staying with friends back home or if we still have a property in U.K., when could we go back for another six months?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

boro97 has a brilliant futureboro97 has a brilliant futureboro97 has a brilliant futureboro97 has a brilliant futureboro97 has a brilliant futureboro97 has a brilliant futureboro97 has a brilliant future
Default Re: living part year in Canada

Originally Posted by peut-etre
My husband and I are of retirement age and would like to live part of the year in Canada. I understand that we can only stay for six months of the year. Question is - how long do we have to be away visiting or staying with friends back home or if we still have a property in U.K., when could we go back for another six months?
30 days you have to be out the country for i believe,
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:43 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Such requirement doesn't really exist. No matter how long (days, weeks, months) you'll be out of Canada - if examining officer at the port of entry determines that you are really living in Canada (not just visiting) you will be refused entry or granted very short admission with enough days to allow you to pack and leave. It is not the question if it will happen, as it will for sure. The only question is how many times you will get lucky and re-enter with new 6 months admission before being caught.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hi there......i have a freind..she is american..she had at last time i spoke with her...entered Canada numerous times over the years..however..the last few years..she has been visiting for the summers.(6mths)...and at the last entry that i know of..they were realy questioning her..and basicaly told her..she wont' get 6 months granted on her next (visit)...as she is deemed to be seen partly living here.

just a heads up!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 8:39 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

What is the problem here? You are allowed to be in Canada 6 months and 6 months in UK.

Numerous Canadians (snowbirds) go to USA for 6 months each year and there is no problem, so why can't you go to UK for 5-6 months say, and live here 6 months. Conversely why can't a British resident come here for 6 months in summer and live back in their home 6 months?
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
What is the problem here? You are allowed to be in Canada 6 months and 6 months in UK.

Numerous Canadians (snowbirds) go to USA for 6 months each year and there is no problem, so why can't you go to UK for 5-6 months say, and live here 6 months. Conversely why can't a British resident come here for 6 months in summer and live back in their home 6 months?
i think andrews post..realy says it all.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Because the person normally resident in the UK wouldn't have PR and it's not the same as a Canadian citizen going south as they have the right to live in Canada.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beebop
Because the person normally resident in the UK wouldn't have PR and it's not the same as a Canadian citizen going south as they have the right to live in Canada.
There is no fundamental difference between a Canadian citizen spending 5 months in the U.S. each year (while living in Canada) and a British citizen splitting time between Canada and the United Kingdom the same way.

Obviously a British citizen can't try to split time between Canada and the U.S. that way.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:47 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody is allowed to be in Canada for 6 months - person may be allowed (get the 6 months admission) . There is no guarantee for admission nor for the period of admission granted.

It is not what original poster's intentions are. Read again the first post - "how long do we have to be away visiting or staying with friends back home". It indicates that really OP wants to live in Canada, not just visit for 6 months once per year. It just won't work.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

peut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nice

I have read your replies with interest, especially as there seems to be confusion on this issue. With regard to Andrew's information, this is where my information must have been incorrect. We did want to live in Canada and four years ago went through all the proccesses and would have been allowed to come to farm but family events got in the way. We were not trying to "get in the back door", have more sense than that, but I did believe that we could own a house in Canada and live in it for six months at a time. Our idea was that we sell the English farm and have a house in France and a house in Canada. (north-eastern Vancouver Island). I did not realise that the six months permission was granted optionally. My original post was to see if we needed be away a full-six months, but now the whole idea has gone up in smoke. Thank you for the information Andrew. It's far better to have the facts even if they aren't the ones you wanted!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

i wish you all the best. sometimes matters come to light we are not aware of in out pursuit for other answers. i am truly glad you are getting yours as it could have been very costly.

each time i have come into Canada..4 in total so far. i have been asked at customs. have you been to Canada before.? have you had a 6mth visitor stay granted ever?

good luck!