Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living outside of Canada whilst citizenship application is being processed

Living outside of Canada whilst citizenship application is being processed

Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:53 am
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living outside of Canada whilst citizenship application is being processed

Haven't posted on here for quite a while! Still enjoy reading everyone's stories and hearing all the banter! I know this forum is a good source of information so would like a bit of help please (I have spent the last hour on google and can't find a definite answer).

I currently have PR status in Canada, and sent my application for citizenship in September last year, receiving the confirmation letter and booklet early this year. I presume it will be at least another 10 months before I am contacted for the test.

If I were to leave Canada to reside in another country, would I lose my PR status after a certain length of time, or is that status permanent? (I know it is called "permanent" resident, but is it as simple as that?)

Also, as my citizenship application is "in progress", would my residing elsewhere have any effect, apart from having to return for the test and ceremony?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:09 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living outside of Canada whilst citizenship application is being processed

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle
If I were to leave Canada to reside in another country, would I lose my PR status after a certain length of time, or is that status permanent? (I know it is called "permanent" resident, but is it as simple as that?)
Yes, you have to maintain your two years in Canada out of every five but if you have a citizenship application of progress it should be through long before then.

Also, as my citizenship application is "in progress", would my residing elsewhere have any effect, apart from having to return for the test and ceremony?
Not at the moment but you might be given very little notice of the test and ceremony so be prepared for two expensive return flights.

I understand the new citizenship rules will require a new citizen to have the intention to continue living in Canada. Hopefully, someone will be able to confirm that these rules will not apply to applications already in process.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living outside of Canada whilst citizenship application is being processed

Haven't posted on here for quite a while! Still enjoy reading everyone's stories and hearing all the banter! I know this forum is a good source of information so would like a bit of help please (I have spent the last hour on google and can't find a definite answer).

I currently have PR status in Canada, and sent my application for citizenship in September last year, receiving the confirmation letter and booklet early this year. I presume it will be at least another 10 months before I am contacted for the test.

I'm no expert but your PR card will have an expiry date on it. Make sure you have returned by the point of expiry to renew it.

Also to renew it you will I believe have to have been living in Canada for 3 of the 5 years.

Lastly where are you based? You could be called for your citizenship exam at any point and they tend to only give 2 weeks notice.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:11 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes, you have to maintain your two years in Canada out of every five but if you have a citizenship application of progress it should be through long before then.

Not at the moment but you might be given very little notice of the test and ceremony so be prepared for two expensive return flights.

I understand the new citizenship rules will require a new citizen to have the intention to continue living in Canada. Hopefully, someone will be able to confirm that these rules will not apply to applications already in process.
Yup what he says.

Two of five not three of five.

See I'm no expert.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:12 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by JonboyE

I certainly wouldn't tell them during your Citizenship interview that you are already residing elsewhere either.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:18 am
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'm no expert but your PR card will have an expiry date on it. Make sure you have returned by the point of expiry to renew it.

Also to renew it you will I believe have to have been living in Canada for 3 of the 5 years.

Lastly where are you based? You could be called for your citizenship exam at any point and they tend to only give 2 weeks notice.
Currently based in Vancouver, BC
Old Nov 18th 2014, 11:53 am
Get me out of here ...

Thanks guys
Old Nov 19th 2014, 7:38 am
Get me out of here ...

Originally Posted by JamesM
I certainly wouldn't tell them during your Citizenship interview that you are already residing elsewhere either.
UPDATE!!!!! This morning I received my citizenship test date ... 9th December

Still residing in Vancouver, so no problems on that front now.

Now ... Where did I put the study book ...

Anyone have any advice on the test? It's been a long time since I was in an exam situation!
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPDATE ... Citizenship test on 9th December!

Anyone have any advice on the test? It's been a long time since I was in an exam situation!
Read the instructions with the book, regarding what you have to know.

Read the book a couple of times

Find the online mock test questions and have a go at them. Repeat.

Finally, RELAX, its a reading comprehension test, if you speak english as a first language you would have to actively try to fail the test. Remember, you dont need to get all the answers right. They have eliminated the mandatory "must get right" questions, so while the test now has more info to remember, the pressure of those questions is now gone.

If you are not the kind of person that thrives in an exam situation, trying to relax and not stress are the most important things. The questions are not that hard, read them twice before jumping in, eliminate the obviously wrong answers and if you still are not sure, go on to the next one and come back to the ones you left at the end. Once you are done, take the time to re read your answers before handing in the test. There is no bonus prize for being the first to finish! They give you 30 mins, thats plenty of time for 20 questions.

You will be fine

Good Luck, but you wont need it.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 19th 2014 at 8:15 am.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:39 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Wot he said.
Ours was so easy that a chimp armed with a pencil could pass.
I've heard rumours that it is slightly trickier now. So maybe a chimp who has read the book is needed
Old Nov 19th 2014, 9:16 am
Get me out of here ...

Originally Posted by iaink
Read the instructions with the book, regarding what you have to know.

Read the book a couple of times

Find the online mock test questions and have a go at them. Repeat.

Finally, RELAX, its a reading comprehension test, if you speak english as a first language you would have to actively try to fail the test. Remember, you dont need to get all the answers right. They have eliminated the mandatory "must get right" questions, so while the test now has more info to remember, the pressure of those questions is now gone.

If you are not the kind of person that thrives in an exam situation, trying to relax and not stress are the most important things. The questions are not that hard, read them twice before jumping in, eliminate the obviously wrong answers and if you still are not sure, go on to the next one and come back to the ones you left at the end. Once you are done, take the time to re read your answers before handing in the test. There is no bonus prize for being the first to finish! They give you 30 mins, thats plenty of time for 20 questions.

You will be fine

Good Luck, but you wont need it.
Thanks iaink ... All sounds like sensible advice! I suppose I am panicking because it now all seems to be happening so quickly!

Is it true that ALL the questions will be based on the study guide? Am I likely to be asked anything outside of the guide?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 9:17 am
Get me out of here ...

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Wot he said.
I've heard rumours that it is slightly trickier now. So maybe a chimp who has read the book is needed
Well, I have read the book so ...
Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true that ALL the questions will be based on the study guide? Am I likely to be asked anything outside of the guide?
See line one of my reply
Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Wot he said.
The tests/testing process have been revamped because of a citizenship judge recently found guilty and jailed for collaborating with a couple of Immigration "consultants" to the Chinese community. He was providing them with copies of the tests for money and sexual favours.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 12:29 pm
Get me out of here ...

Originally Posted by iaink
See line one of my reply
It's just that I have read on the forum that some people had questions that were not answered in the guide, so I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.