Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living in London with my Canadian wife

Wikiposts

Living in London with my Canadian wife

Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:25 am
Just Joined

vincemac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in London with my Canadian wife

Hi guys we are new to the forum so apologizes in advance for asking about what is probably old territory for you all. I've had my medical and just got my No Trace ACPO back, our plan is to get the forms filled out and post them to Canada ASAP and then travel to Canada next week for a 7 week holiday for the summer. Our questions are;
Can we travel on holiday while we are in the system?
And, can you guys direct us to some good advice reading to help avoid any common mistakes when filling out those forms for the Spousal Sponsorship Route?

Thanks in advance guys - lovin' the site

Cheers Vince and Debs
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in London with my Canadian wife

If your wife is a Canadian Citizen then it's important that you submit proof of your wife's intention to return to Canada once you obtain PR. Offers of employment (or proof of applications submitted), property purchase, house rental, or a letter of confirmation from family that you are staying with them) etc., copies of airline tickets booked, anything that shows intent to return... alternatively, she could return to Canada and you could submit an outland (through UK) application whilst you reside in Canada with her.

If you look at the manual http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf you will see what kind of information they are looking for, generally, for applications for spousal sponsorship.

If your wife is not a Canadian Citizen (ie only has Permanant Residence Status) she cannot sponsor you unless she is residing in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/ip02-eng.pdf

Canadian citizens residing outside Canada
• may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children without dependent children of their own
• must satisfy immigration officials that they will reside in Canada once their spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and dependent children become permanent residents in Canada
• must forward their applications directly to CPC-M, where their plan to return to Canada will be assessed based on documentary evidence and/or interview assistance from the visa office where necessary

As to your question, there is not a problem with travelling whilst your application is in place as long as you give them an email address to contact you should they require any information whilst you are away from home.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada will help you with the forms.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 29th 2010 at 8:03 am.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worthwhile for your Canadian wife to apply for British citizenship, if she doesn't already have it.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the great input - and yes Debs has already got her British naturalization. You mentioned that we have to prove that we are moving back to Canada, we both have work here in the UK and are not looking for work in Canada as yet, we are fortunate to already own a house and some land outright and have a share of income from a family farm. Do you think we still have to set up jobs etc to qualify?

thanks Vince and Debs
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:15 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vincemac
Thanks for the great input - and yes Debs has already got her British naturalization. You mentioned that we have to prove that we are moving back to Canada, we both have work here in the UK and are not looking for work in Canada as yet, we are fortunate to already own a house and some land outright and have a share of income from a family farm. Do you think we still have to set up jobs etc to qualify?

thanks Vince and Debs
No you don't have to have work lined up. An accompanying letter stating that you own property, land, a family farm, and fully intend leaving your UK jobs etc once application is successful.

That'll do.

Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

thanks, we been travelling back and forth twice a year for years now and Debs who is a university course leader was considering changing her working year to working two terms with gaps ie 3 months in london back to Canada for 3 months and back to the UK and so on - is that a potential issue do you think?

Vince
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vincemac
thanks, we been travelling back and forth twice a year for years now and Debs who is a university course leader was considering changing her working year to working two terms with gaps ie 3 months in london back to Canada for 3 months and back to the UK and so on - is that a potential issue do you think?

Vince
A potential issue for what?

Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Hi vincemac,

Welcome to the site, loads of really useful information here and several threads on spousal sponsorship.

We've just gone down the same route (we live in London, wife is Canadian) and we're looking to move permanently by the end of the year/early 2011) - our application has just been approved and is on its way to london for the next bit!

If you have any specific questions about any of the forms, feel free to drop me a PM.

Good luck,

Chobert
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

thanks Chobert, yeah the site is great - it help to know there is others out there going through the same experiences, I'll take you up on your offer of a PM contact you soon

Cheers Vince
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

P-O-B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
No you don't have to have work lined up. An accompanying letter stating that you own property, land, a family farm, and fully intend leaving your UK jobs etc once application is successful.

That'll do.

Agree with this, I was initially worried about being able to prove our intent to move back to Canada. In the end we just sent a letter explaining that until we got approval for my PR we could not make commitments to move (my wife is Canadian, but also has British citizenship), if we didnt get PR approved we would have to stay in the UK, where we have jobs a house etc. It was all approved ok.