Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living in Canada... thinking of staying

Living in Canada... thinking of staying

Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

toonlad84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Canada... thinking of staying

My fiancee and I are currently living in Vancouver. We came here in September 09 as she got a job at a university on a one-year contract. As things stand we plan to stay until 4th October 2010. However I am finding myself drawn more and more to the idea of staying, however the likelyhood of her contract being extended is slim, so we will both be looking for work.

In terms of visa situations, she is here on a TWP linked to her job, and I am on an open TWP but as of yet have not found a job, hopefully this will change soon.

Qualifications and skills, my girlfriend is an academic and her highest qualification is her PhD in geography/criminology. I have worked in many jobs but my latest (before leaving the UK) was in university administration as a marketing and recruitment officer. My highest qualification is a masters degree. My degrees are in the field of environmental sciences.

Should we want to stay, could we apply for the BUNAC work programme? Is this possible within Canada? Or should we seek more long-term employment and get our employers to seek LMO.

This is all theoretical of course as my other half is still assuming we are going home, but I know she is taken with the place too
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

bikeguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Canada... thinking of staying

ask her if your allowed to stay first, then worry about the visa's tbh. we all know shes going to make the decision anyway :P

as for visa's find a job which can support you both if her contract isnt extended then you can get pr status through the LMO route which i think is easiest. im still notin canada and i haven't tried it myself.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

drabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant futuredrabux has a brilliant future

Her job - if she's a university lecturer - is on the list. I think she needs to have a minimum of a year's experience of this job. Obviously, she'd need to meet the points criteria etc as well. The process would take about 8 or so months.

Alanb
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:50 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toonlad84

Should we want to stay, could we apply for the BUNAC work programme? Is this possible within Canada? Or should we seek more long-term employment and get our employers to seek LMO.
I know you're supposed to be outside Canada for that but it has been done before, especially in cases whereby people have had a UK address and someone there to forward on the paperwork. The closing date for Bunac applications for this year is 31st January though.

For skills like yours though I don't see any reason why at least one of you can't receive an LMO and then the other one would stay as common law, particularly in the case of your girlfriend's qualifications. Incidentally, how old are you both?