Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living in Canada, is it that bad?!!!

Living in Canada, is it that bad?!!!

Old May 12th 2002, 8:20 am
Henrik

Default Re: Living in Canada, is it that bad?!!!

"Meg Lamont" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Drew,
    >
    > I agree with you. As a citizen of the United States, I believe the quality of life
    > in Canada is much better than it was in the States. It's not as materialistic as
    > the States, and the life is more laid back and back to basics. I think it's a much
    > simpler life, which I don't think is a bad thing. If people are only looking here
    > to come and get rich, it's the wrong place, In fact, I'd go to say that immigrating
    > to such a place, any place, based upon income potential is probably a wrong
    > decision. It's the total package they are getting. I think it's worth it, and I
    > can't think of a better place that I would want to raise a family.
    >
    > Meg

Meg, I am (or was? a US citizen living in Canada for almost 3 years now (landed
PR)and I agree with you 100% indeed. Thanks for the most objective insight about
immigration.

Ironically I've learnt more about my birth country and the world in 3 years than 31
years in the States. For my job, I am only making just a little bit more over of the
half of what I made before but me and my growing family enjoy our life tremedously. I
see a lot of Canadian-born Canadians hurry over to the States when they can, or
working there but living in Canada, I can understand the power of exchange rates but
I think people need to be honest with their decision and be responsible for it. After
all, money is not everything and money can only make you ever more thirsty.

Cheers,

Old May 12th 2002, 11:20 am
Don R.

On 12 May 2002 12:05:25 -0700, [email protected] (Henrik) wrote:

>> I agree with you. As a citizen of the United States, I believe the quality of life
    >> in Canada is much better than it was in the States. It's not as materialistic as
    >> the States, and the life is more laid back and back to basics. I think it's a much
    >> simpler life,

Amen to that! I am in total agreement!

I'm a native-born Canadian who became a US citizen prior to the law change in 1977
and is now no longer recognized as a Canadian citizen. My only option appears to be
applying for 'landed immigrant' status and my Scottish heritage says:
"xxxxxxxxxxxx", I mean: "No thank you!!" My plan now is to spend 4 - 6 months a year
in Canada and the remainder in the SouithWest US.

The sad thing about Canada, at least in the west, is the rotten economy, the
destruction of their medical services system, and the inability of the people to have
much say in how the government runs the country. I can't believe some of these
politicians ever get elected more than once, or even once for that matter!

The province of Saskatchewan has been experiencing negative migration for a
number of years.

Portions of British Columbia are very dependent upon forest products and fisheries.

The lumber companies are, for the most part, US owned. Yet, the US has imposed
exhorbitant softwood tariffs on Canada that BC has already lost 10,000 jobs and
expect to lose many more!

As far as fisheries is concerned, the commercial fishery has been allowed over the
years to virtually elminate the herring and krill population which has been the diet
of the salmon. Further, they've allowed the 'cute' seals and sea lions to expand
their populations to the point where they're about to eliminate what salmon remain
and also the rock fish. I've spoken with commercial divers who watch seals rip out
and eat the stomach of rock fish and cod and leave the rest of the fish to be cleaned
up by various scavengers. It's a very common thing for salmon sport fishers to reel
in a salmon head without a body, lost to seals.

My suggestion to those considering Canada as a place of residence, is either come as
a retiree or a tourist and just stay on a temporary basis..

>> thing. If people are only looking here to come and get rich, it's the wrong place,

Right on!!

Old May 14th 2002, 12:20 am
George Prager

a lot of negative energy there, anonymous. But this is as personal an issue as you
can get so I cannot dispute your feelings about Canada though I do not share them.
However, saying that Canada is "far away from anything interesting" really takes the
cake, man!

Where in Canada did you live? Iqualuit? This is an incredibly varied and interesting
country. I cannot even begin to name all the great places here AND the ones in the
U.S. that are not too far. You don't find the Rockies interesting? Or Vancouver? Or
Quebec City? Or the cities of New York, Chicago, New Orleans, San Francisco - all but
a few hours' flight away? What exactly DO you consider interesting? Between Canada
and the big U.S. cities you can find anything and everything your heart desires - on
what grounds would you disagree with this?

George "Anonymous" <Nobody> wrote in message news:3cdb2de9@anonymous...
    >
    >
    > Of course not. In 1999 Canada was booming. Now there's a bust.
    >
    > >2) My Dad did not find a job. he is a >Ph.D. in economics and statistics.
    >
    > PhD's have a hard time wherever they are. People are intimidated. He
should
    > not put PhD on his resume.
    >
    > >3) The country is great, every summer >I just feel great to living the
life.
    >
    > But bear in mind it's not any better than *any* other western country if you have a
    > good job.
    >
    > >4) People are great,
    >
    > I disagree with this one. Some of the people are great but a great deal of the
    > people are only interested in you for what you can do for them.
    >
    > >5) The culture, environment and the >country absorbs you fast, you feel oneness
    > > with the country and any >patriotism you might have with your original country
    > > is soon converted to >be for Canada.
    >
    > Of course, *if* you came from a third world country. If you came from
another
    > industrialzied country the comparison is much less cut and dry. Canada has pros and
    > cons but it's not a paradise.
    >
    > >I am still not canadian but I am proud to be a part of it.
    >
    > Good for you. I am and I'm not.
    >
    > >All in all, don't expect to get a job >based on your experiance and qualification
    >
    > Why should you not expect that? Why do a lot of Canadians on this NG seem to
    > think that "it's a price worth paying for staying in 'such an excellent
    > country'." I say bullshit to that. There are many things that make a country
    > great but if you can't find a
job
    > you can hardly be blamed for thinking a country sucks ass. The problem is that
    > since Canada is an "advanced" country the expectation is that there are plenty of
    > jobs there. Facing facts, that's the real reason most people move there, to better
    > their lot economically. They don't move to Canada
because
    > of some mythical weepy bullshit idea that Canada is the best country on
earth.
    >
    >
    > >And be warned with the "No Canadian >Experiance", you will hear this 2000 times
    > >before you get a job.
    >
    > And you think this is a legitimate thing to say to a newcomer? What a
bunch
    > of crap. This is typical of the profiteering mindset you will encounter if you
    > choose to move there. Don't be surprised if after a year or so you
have
    > spent all of your hard won savings without finding a job. Also don't
expect
    > any gratitude from the Canadians for bringing your money to hand over to them.
    > Instead expect arrogance and spite such as "What did you expect?
Don't
    > come to our country without checking it out first etc etc". Again I say if you
    > can't expect to be able to make a reasonable living pretty quickly
after
    > arriving in a place then its inhabitants have NO RIGHT to say their
country
    > is wonderful.
    >
    > ON THE POSITIVE SIDE: *IF* you do manage to get a decent job then it's a not too
    > bad place to
live
    > apart from the seven months of winter. It will be lonely because it's not easy to
    > make friends there but after time you will. You can also expect a standard of
    > living that is reasonably good by western standards though by no means the best.
    > i.e you will be able to afford on an average salary to pay for a basement
    > apartment, a small car, eat out in a lower end
restaurant
    > such as kelseys maybe once a month. You won't get much vacation time (1-2 weeks)
    > but you won't be able to afford to fly anywhere either since Canada is so far away
    > from anything interesting so it won't really matter.
    >
    >
    >
    > TESTTESTTEST--== Posted via Newsgroups.Com - Uncensored Usenet News
==TESTTESTTEST-

> TEST--= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Ulimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers
=TEST--

Old May 14th 2002, 8:20 am
Rsg

[email protected] (Don R.) wrote in message news:<3cdee5b0.26221090@shawnews>...
    > On 12 May 2002 12:05:25 -0700, [email protected] (Henrik) wrote:
    >
    > >> I agree with you. As a citizen of the United States, I believe the quality of
    > >> life in Canada is much better than it was in the States. It's not as
    > >> materialistic as the States, and the life is more laid back and back to basics.
    > >> I think it's a much simpler life,
    >
    > Amen to that! I am in total agreement!
    >
    > I'm a native-born Canadian who became a US citizen prior to the law change in 1977
    > and is now no longer recognized as a Canadian citizen. My only option appears to
    > be applying for 'landed immigrant' status and my Scottish heritage says:
    > "xxxxxxxxxxxx", I mean: "No thank you!!" My plan now is to spend 4 - 6 months a
    > year in Canada and the remainder in the SouithWest US.
    >
    > The sad thing about Canada, at least in the west, is the rotten economy, the
    > destruction of their medical services system, and the inability of the people to
    > have much say in how the government runs the country. I can't believe some of these
    > politicians ever get elected more than once, or even once for that matter!
    >
    > The province of Saskatchewan has been experiencing negative migration for a number
    > of years.
    >
    > Portions of British Columbia are very dependent upon forest products and fisheries.
    >
    > The lumber companies are, for the most part, US owned. Yet, the US has imposed
    > exhorbitant softwood tariffs on Canada that BC has already lost 10,000 jobs and
    > expect to lose many more!
    >
    > As far as fisheries is concerned, the commercial fishery has been allowed over the
    > years to virtually elminate the herring and krill population which has been the
    > diet of the salmon. Further, they've allowed the 'cute' seals and sea lions to
    > expand their populations to the point where they're about to eliminate what salmon
    > remain and also the rock fish. I've spoken with commercial divers who watch seals
    > rip out and eat the stomach of rock fish and cod and leave the rest of the fish to
    > be cleaned up by various scavengers. It's a very common thing for salmon sport
    > fishers to reel in a salmon head without a body, lost to seals.
    >
    > My suggestion to those considering Canada as a place of residence, is either come
    > as a retiree or a tourist and just stay on a temporary basis..
    >
    > >> thing. If people are only looking here to come and get rich, it's the wrong
    > >> place,
    >
    > Right on!!

If you're looking to get rich, it's as valid as any place. It will all depend on you.
Many people come to Canada and do very well. Many people who have been born in
Canada, have not. It all comes down, circumstance, hard work, and luck.