Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living in Canada, is it that bad?!!!

Living in Canada, is it that bad?!!!

Old May 9th 2002, 11:03 am
Just Joined

lasbomodeu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Canada, is it that bad?!!!

Hi all!!!

Me and my wife have just started the immigration process to Canada. I was reading some of the forum´s messages and I am terrified!!!, some of the messages said that living in Canada for immigrants could be very tough. We thought about it very well before we decided to apply, and we certainly know that moving to another country, specially a country where the language spoken is different than ours (we are Argentineans), was going to be difficult, but also a nice experience.

Our country is going through a very difficult situation now, and we would like to have another experience. Both of us have a job here in Argentina, but most of the people in this country don´t.

I was wondering if you could tell as how was your experience as an immigrant (how long it takes to find a job, cost of living, the canadian people, etc) and if you like to give as your oppinion knowing that our goals are to know a different culture and have a nice experience.

Thank you very much!!!!!!
Old May 9th 2002, 1:20 pm
James Fowler

Default Re: Living in Canada, is it that bad?!!!

I've lived here in Halifax, Nova Scotia for five years and love it. Don't let the
complainers put you off.

Good luck with the immigration process.

"lasbomodeu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all!!!
    >
    > Me and my wife have just started the immigration process to Canada. I was reading
    > some of the forum´s messages and I am terrified!!!, some of the messages said that
    > living in Canada for immigrants could be very tough. We thought about it very well
    > before we decided to apply, and we certainly know that moving to another country,
    > specially a country where the language spoken is different than ours (we are
    > Argentineans), was going to be difficult, but also a nice experience.
    >
    > Our country is going through a very difficult situation now, and we would like to
    > have another experience. Both of us have a job here in Argentina, but most of the
    > people in this country don´t.
    >
    > I was wondering if you could tell as how was your experience as an immigrant (how
    > long it takes to find a job, cost of living, the canadian people, etc) and if you
    > like to give as your oppinion knowing that our goals are to know a different
    > culture and have a nice experience.
    >
    > Thank you very much!!!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > lasbo
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 9th 2002, 2:20 pm
Claudio Fernand

>I was wondering if you could tell as how was your experience as an immigrant (how
    >long it takes to find a job, cost of living, the canadian people, etc) and if you
    >like to give as your oppinion knowing that our goals are to know a different culture
    >and have a nice experience.

Getting a menial job there is no problem, but to get a good one you need a lot of
luck and patience.

Starting your own bussiness may be a better idea. I did so in 1999 and it was far
more easier than I expected. I will not go back to that forsaken land ever.

Don't be afraid and don't waste your time; always remember Tato Bores's prophecy
about the final Argentina doom. (:-

Old May 10th 2002, 12:20 am
Haider Kazmi

I moved to canada in 1999 and I had just come out of college. Here is what I feel

1) Finding a job was not difficult for me. I got a good job in 3 weeks.
2) My Dad did not find a job. he is a Ph.D. in economics and statistics. Where ever
he went for an interview he came accross B.Sc graduates taking the interview. So a
mixture of my Dads experiance and qualification compared to the interviewers often
acted against him. Obviously he was over qualified for lesser jobs.
3) The country is great, every summer I just feel great to living the life.
4) People are great, I did come accross students and street bums who are sometimes
racial and make racial comments, but the population on large is not and some of my
best friends are canadians.
5) The culture, environment and the country absorbs you fast, you feel oneness
with the country and any patriotism you might have with your original country
is soon converted to be for Canada. I am still not canadian but I am proud to
be a part of it.

All in all, don't expect to get a job based on your experiance and qualification (not
to say you wont), canadian job market is not good to say the least, but there are
jobs and in time you will get a good job. And be warned with the "No Canadian
Experiance", you will hear this 2000 times before you get a job.

cheers

hope this helped

> Hi all!!!
    >
    > Me and my wife have just started the immigration process to Canada. I was reading
    > some of the forum´s messages and I am terrified!!!, some of the messages said that
    > living in Canada for immigrants could be very tough. We thought about it very well
    > before we decided to apply, and we certainly know that moving to another country,
    >
    > Our country is going through a very difficult situation now, and we would like to
    > have another experience. Both of us have a job here in Argentina, but most of the
    >
    > I was wondering if you could tell as how was your experience as an immigrant (how
    > long it takes to find a job, cost of living, the canadian people, etc) and if you
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > lasbo
    >

Old May 10th 2002, 3:20 am
Anonymous

>1) Finding a job was not difficult >for me. I got a good job in 3 weeks.

Of course not. In 1999 Canada was booming. Now there's a bust.

>2) My Dad did not find a job. he is a >Ph.D. in economics and statistics.

PhD's have a hard time wherever they are. People are intimidated. He should not put
PhD on his resume.

>3) The country is great, every summer >I just feel great to living the life.

But bear in mind it's not any better than *any* other western country if you have
a good job.

>4) People are great,

I disagree with this one. Some of the people are great but a great deal of the people
are only interested in you for what you can do for them.

>5) The culture, environment and the >country absorbs you fast, you feel oneness with
    > the country and any >patriotism you might have with your original country is soon
    > converted to >be for Canada.

Of course, *if* you came from a third world country. If you came from another
industrialzied country the comparison is much less cut and dry. Canada has pros and
cons but it's not a paradise.

>I am still not canadian but I am proud to be a part of it.

Good for you. I am and I'm not.

>All in all, don't expect to get a job >based on your experiance and qualification

Why should you not expect that? Why do a lot of Canadians on this NG seem to think
that "it's a price worth paying for staying in 'such an excellent country'." I say
bullshit to that. There are many things that make a country great but if you can't
find a job you can hardly be blamed for thinking a country sucks ass. The problem is
that since Canada is an "advanced" country the expectation is that there are plenty
of jobs there. Facing facts, that's the real reason most people move there, to better
their lot economically. They don't move to Canada because of some mythical weepy
bullshit idea that Canada is the best country on earth.

>And be warned with the "No Canadian >Experiance", you will hear this 2000 times
    >before you get a job.

And you think this is a legitimate thing to say to a newcomer? What a bunch of crap.
This is typical of the profiteering mindset you will encounter if you choose to move
there. Don't be surprised if after a year or so you have spent all of your hard won
savings without finding a job. Also don't expect any gratitude from the Canadians for
bringing your money to hand over to them. Instead expect arrogance and spite such as
"What did you expect? Don't come to our country without checking it out first etc
etc". Again I say if you can't expect to be able to make a reasonable living pretty
quickly after arriving in a place then its inhabitants have NO RIGHT to say their
country is wonderful.

ON THE POSITIVE SIDE: *IF* you do manage to get a decent job then it's a not too bad
place to live apart from the seven months of winter. It will be lonely because it's
not easy to make friends there but after time you will. You can also expect a
standard of living that is reasonably good by western standards though by no means
the best. i.e you will be able to afford on an average salary to pay for a basement
apartment, a small car, eat out in a lower end restaurant such as kelseys maybe once
a month. You won't get much vacation time (1-2 weeks) but you won't be able to afford
to fly anywhere either since Canada is so far away from anything interesting so it
won't really matter.

TESTTESTTEST--== Posted via Newsgroups.Com - Uncensored Usenet News ==TESTTESTTEST-

TEST--= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Ulimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =TEST--

Old May 10th 2002, 3:20 am
Anonymous

On Fri, 10 May 2002 00:36:01 GMT, [email protected] (Claudio Fernandez) wrote:

>>I was wondering if you could tell as how was your experience as an immigrant (how
    >>long it takes to find a job, cost of living, the canadian people, etc) and if you
    >>like to give as your oppinion knowing that our goals are to know a different
    >>culture and have a nice experience.
    >
    >Getting a menial job there is no problem, but to get a good one you need a lot of
    >luck and patience.
    >
    >Starting your own bussiness may be a better idea. I did so in 1999 and it was far
    >more easier than I expected. I will not go back to that forsaken land ever.
    >
    >Don't be afraid and don't waste your time; always remember Tato Bores's prophecy
    >about the final Argentina doom. (:-

Yes starting your own business, may be the easier way of getting a good start in
Canada, but remember here in Quebec if the customer doesn't like your Accent in
French, you will be getting a nice letter from the OLF and maybe a large fine.

If Quebec is for the French, then doesn't it make since for BC to be for the Chinese

Old May 10th 2002, 4:20 am
Jp Jehu

Although the current labor market is very soft, prospects for the future are very
good. More and more articles are appearing about a huge labor shortage in the US and
Canada. Even in the IT sector. Also don't forget that applying for a PR visa will
take several months to several years. By that time it will be a different ball game.
Just know why you want to come here. If you feel that it is the right choice, do it.
Otherwise reconsider.

> Hi all!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > lasbo
    >

Old May 10th 2002, 5:20 am
Greg Del Pilar

Hi Anonymous?

Thanks for your honest comments. Do you have some advise to those new immigrants who
feel "trapped" between staying (and risking not finding ajob before their savings run
out), or leaving (and not having much left to start anew in their home country)?

Thanks!

Greg

"Anonymous" <Nobody> wrote in message news:3cdb2de9@anonymous...
    >
    > >1) Finding a job was not difficult >for me. I got a good job in 3 weeks.
    >
    > Of course not. In 1999 Canada was booming. Now there's a bust.
    >
    > >2) My Dad did not find a job. he is a >Ph.D. in economics and statistics.
    >
    > PhD's have a hard time wherever they are. People are intimidated. He
should
    > not put PhD on his resume.
    >
    > >3) The country is great, every summer >I just feel great to living the
life.
    >
    > But bear in mind it's not any better than *any* other western country if you have a
    > good job.
    >
    > >4) People are great,
    >
    > I disagree with this one. Some of the people are great but a great deal of the
    > people are only interested in you for what you can do for them.
    >
    > >5) The culture, environment and the >country absorbs you fast, you feel oneness
    > > with the country and any >patriotism you might have with your original country
    > > is soon converted to >be for Canada.
    >
    > Of course, *if* you came from a third world country. If you came from
another
    > industrialzied country the comparison is much less cut and dry. Canada has pros and
    > cons but it's not a paradise.
    >
    > >I am still not canadian but I am proud to be a part of it.
    >
    > Good for you. I am and I'm not.
    >
    > >All in all, don't expect to get a job >based on your experiance and qualification
    >
    > Why should you not expect that? Why do a lot of Canadians on this NG seem to
    > think that "it's a price worth paying for staying in 'such an excellent
    > country'." I say bullshit to that. There are many things that make a country
    > great but if you can't find a
job
    > you can hardly be blamed for thinking a country sucks ass. The problem is that
    > since Canada is an "advanced" country the expectation is that there are plenty of
    > jobs there. Facing facts, that's the real reason most people move there, to better
    > their lot economically. They don't move to Canada
because
    > of some mythical weepy bullshit idea that Canada is the best country on
earth.
    >
    >
    > >And be warned with the "No Canadian >Experiance", you will hear this 2000 times
    > >before you get a job.
    >
    > And you think this is a legitimate thing to say to a newcomer? What a
bunch
    > of crap. This is typical of the profiteering mindset you will encounter if you
    > choose to move there. Don't be surprised if after a year or so you
have
    > spent all of your hard won savings without finding a job. Also don't
expect
    > any gratitude from the Canadians for bringing your money to hand over to them.
    > Instead expect arrogance and spite such as "What did you expect?
Don't
    > come to our country without checking it out first etc etc". Again I say if you
    > can't expect to be able to make a reasonable living pretty quickly
after
    > arriving in a place then its inhabitants have NO RIGHT to say their
country
    > is wonderful.
    >
    > ON THE POSITIVE SIDE: *IF* you do manage to get a decent job then it's a not too
    > bad place to
live
    > apart from the seven months of winter. It will be lonely because it's not easy to
    > make friends there but after time you will. You can also expect a standard of
    > living that is reasonably good by western standards though by no means the best.
    > i.e you will be able to afford on an average salary to pay for a basement
    > apartment, a small car, eat out in a lower end
restaurant
    > such as kelseys maybe once a month. You won't get much vacation time (1-2 weeks)
    > but you won't be able to afford to fly anywhere either since Canada is so far away
    > from anything interesting so it won't really matter.
    >
    >
    >
    > TESTTESTTEST--== Posted via Newsgroups.Com - Uncensored Usenet News
==TESTTESTTEST-

> TEST--= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Ulimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers
=TEST--

Old May 10th 2002, 5:54 am
Just Joined

lasbomodeu is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your honest oppinion.
Old May 10th 2002, 8:20 am
Ahmadreza.Divsa

Hello there I wanted just to mention that, the country where you are living, won't be
a good country when you don't have money or you can not pay for every thing you like,

when your kid see somebody else's kid's motorobike or welldressing while you can not
be afford to buy even one simple bike, what do you feel at that time?

can you tell your son, we are living in an advance country?

what I am saying is something I exactly encountered here in UK for my son. but
fortunately I have my job and I am be able to satisfy my son now.

additional note, by hearing to these bad points of living in Canada I wanna ignore my
application and medical forms although I have paied the processing fee for my family.

thanks for all the friends who try to tell the reality cheers behnam

--

Make Unlimited phone calls from your PC to ANY phone in the World!
http://www.eboom.com/free/ lasbomodeu <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi all!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > lasbo
    >

Old May 11th 2002, 3:20 am
Rk

If you are asking about LIVING in Canada, it is great, really great. What is
difficult (and really difficult) is being well-received in the job market.

lasbomodeu <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi all!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > lasbo
    >

Old May 11th 2002, 6:20 am
Sad Willbe Cana

I totally agree with you: Canada is the best place to live and retire if you have
money. USA sucks, if you don't want to work. You must be young to live in USA, and
must be rich to live in Canada.

"RK" <[email protected]> Ã?´ÈëÃ?ûÃ?¢Ã?ÂÎÅ:9ha [email protected]...
    > If you are asking about LIVING in Canada, it is great, really great. What
is
    > difficult (and really difficult) is being well-received in the job market.
    >
    >
    >
    > lasbomodeu <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all!!!
    > >
    > > Me and my wife have just started the immigration process to Canada. I was reading
    > > some of the forum´s messages and I am terrified!!!, some of the messages said
    > > that living in Canada for immigrants could be very tough. We thought about it
    > > very well before we decided to apply, and we certainly know that moving to
    > > another country, specially a country where the language spoken is different than
    > > ours (we are Argentineans), was going to be difficult, but also a nice
    > > experience.
    > >
    > > Our country is going through a very difficult situation now, and we would like to
    > > have another experience. Both of us have a job here in Argentina, but most of the
    > > people in this country don´t.
    > >
    > > I was wondering if you could tell as how was your experience as an immigrant (how
    > > long it takes to find a job, cost of living, the canadian people, etc) and if you
    > > like to give as your oppinion knowing that our goals are to know a different
    > > culture and have a nice experience.
    > >
    > > Thank you very much!!!!!!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > lasbo
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Sergei Drachev

I think the whole problem with immigration is the way the government organizes the
process. They make you believe that you're welcome, and they ask you about your
"intended occupation" as if it's a guaranteed ticket for employment. So, naturally
people feel ecstatic when they FINALLY get the visa, not realizing that that was the
easy part.

Once they "land" in their new home, they quickly discover that the whole perception
of Canada WANTING THEM was false.

You have to prove - JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE - that you possess some valuable skills
which you can put to use for the benefit of the company that will hire you. And of
course you HAVE to speak the language fluently - because everyone else does.

Just because you're an immigrant who finally got his/her visa, doesn't mean you'll be
given your piece of the pie (with a nice home or condo, latest model car, big
projection TV) right away.

You have to be persistent. You must focus on the positive. You must believe that you
can do it.

Best luck,

Sergei Drachev Toronto

"Sad Willbe Canadian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I totally agree with you: Canada is the best place to live and retire if
you
    > have money. USA sucks, if you don't want to work. You must be young to
live
    > in USA, and must be rich to live in Canada.
    >
    >
    > "RK" <[email protected]>
Ã?´ÈëÃ?ûÃ?¢Ã?ÂÎÅ:9ha [email protected]...
    > > If you are asking about LIVING in Canada, it is great, really great.
What
    > is
    > > difficult (and really difficult) is being well-received in the job
market.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > lasbomodeu <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi all!!!
    > > >
    > > > Me and my wife have just started the immigration process to Canada. I was
    > > > reading some of the forum´s messages and I am terrified!!!, some
of
    > > > the messages said that living in Canada for immigrants could be very tough. We
    > > > thought about it very well before we decided to apply, and
we
    > > > certainly know that moving to another country, specially a country
where
    > > > the language spoken is different than ours (we are Argentineans), was going to
    > > > be difficult, but also a nice experience.
    > > >
    > > > Our country is going through a very difficult situation now, and we would like
    > > > to have another experience. Both of us have a job here in Argentina, but most
    > > > of the people in this country don´t.
    > > >
    > > > I was wondering if you could tell as how was your experience as an immigrant
    > > > (how long it takes to find a job, cost of living, the
canadian
    > > > people, etc) and if you like to give as your oppinion knowing that our goals
    > > > are to know a different culture and have a nice experience.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you very much!!!!!!
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > lasbo
    > > >
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >
    >

The Wizzard

i don't think you have to be rich to live in Canada, i know lots of people there and
family there who are not rich, but jsut have regular jobs and average incomes, but
they can afford much more than they could in equivilant positions here in UK. bigger
houses with more land, cheaper cars, etc. i think its easier to make a living and
havea good standard of life in Canada than her ein UK. i think if you are rich any
country is a good place to be, especialy any industrialised country cos you can buy
the same things anywhere if you are rich. but i think the average person has a higher
quality of life in Canada. and i compare the poor areas in Toronto with here in
Manchester or Salford and id rather be in Canada.

Drew

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old May 11th 2002, 3:20 pm
Meg Lamont

Drew,

I agree with you. As a citizen of the United States, I believe the quality of life in
Canada is much better than it was in the States. It's not as materialistic as the
States, and the life is more laid back and back to basics. I think it's a much
simpler life, which I don't think is a bad thing. If people are only looking here to
come and get rich, it's the wrong place, In fact, I'd go to say that immigrating to
such a place, any place, based upon income potential is probably a wrong decision.
It's the total package they are getting. I think it's worth it, and I can't think of
a better place that I would want to raise a family.

Meg

"The Wizzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:51c27ece238426c5811cdbe88298a7f...e.mailgate.org...
    >
    > i don't think you have to be rich to live in Canada, i know lots of people there
    > and family there who are not rich, but jsut have regular jobs and average incomes,
    > but they can afford much more than they could in equivilant positions here in UK.
    > bigger houses with more land, cheaper cars, etc. i think its easier to make a
    > living and havea good standard of life in Canada than her ein UK. i think if you
    > are rich any country is a good place to be, especialy any industrialised country
    > cos you can buy the same things anywhere if you are rich. but i think the average
    > person has a higher quality of life in Canada. and i compare the poor areas in
    > Toronto with here in Manchester or Salford and id rather be in Canada.
    >
    > Drew
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.