Living in Canada!!!

Old Aug 13th 2002, 6:16 am
Aung

Default Living in Canada!!!

Hi all;

I understand that everyone in this newsgroup is interested to migrate to Canada.
Lately I heard from some new comers to Canada were complaining bitterly about they
were misled by lawyers or immigration officers when they applied for permanent
resident status in Canada.

So,I would like to take few minutes to let you all know the reality of working and
living in Canada.

Living in Canada which is the best country in the world for many years in the social,
health, environment, multicultural, racial harmony and equality fields.

The positives are:

1. Canada is the best country selected by the one of the United Nation committees.

2. Canada is the first country that select one of the immigrants as the
governor general.

3. Canada is famous for hockey, lacrosse, Toronto blue jays, CN tower, Calgary
stampede, etc.

4. Canada is one of the country that outlaws racial discrimination, enact law to
protect individual belief and religion.

5. There are more positives describe in the CIC booklets.

But here are the facts that you should know.

6. LIVING IN CANADA: It doesn't where you are in Toronto or Calgary, if you are
coming from Asia or Africa, please be prepare to endure the winter weather ( -30
C with wind chill factor or constant rain, dark at 0700 am and 0400 pm ), foods (
better variety of foods than 20 years ago ), transportation ( digging out your
car from the snow pile or walking to the crowded bus shelter in the blowing snow
or umbrella wherever you goes ), clothing ( wear buggy heavy coat and boots for
4~5 months ) and your well being due to unfamiliar environment ( physical and
mental states ).

7. GOING TO SCHOOL: If you graduate from foreign countries ( especially Asian &
Europe degrees are good for high school diploma level ) other than Canadian
Universities, please be prepare to get your degree evaluate for job application
only. Most of degree certificates outside of US & Canada aren't recognized in
Canada for further master degree program. In you have young kid(s), you must
arrange an adult or 12 years old kid to look after them before and after the
school when you're away at work. It's against the law to leave the kid(s) without
adult supervision.

8. WORKING IN CANADA: If you are professional such as doctor, engineer, executive in
your old countries, please consider to take whatever job that you can find. Due
to the reason is that your degree isn't from Canada, hence you wouldn't get
license to practice in any province in Canada. The mandated governing
professional associations responsibilities are to their members not to you.
Please read Toronto Sun front page article( August 11, 2002 ) where professionals
from other countries are employed in other fields than their own.

9. INCOME TAXES IN CANADA: If you're employed, please be prepare to let the
provincial and federal governments take 30%~40% out of pay check every week.
That's the law in Canada. Even though there are some loop holes ( RRSP ) not much
to reduce the tax burden.

10. VISITING TO USA: Landed immigrant from commonwealth countries even Canadian
citizen could be turned away from the US border or airport check point.

These are the realities that you should be prepared for before you step off your
plane to Canada.

Have a good day.

Regards,

David

Old Aug 13th 2002, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Boston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Canada!!!

I guess depends where you are coming from. Still sounds better than my home country...
Old Aug 13th 2002, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

PatC is an unknown quantity at this point

David, some of what you say can definitely be true in some areas, but I feel that some of what you say is a bit too general and does not equally apply to every province. For example, the weather is not the same in western canada as it is in eastern canada...in Quebec/Ontario, we don't have a 'rainy season' as such, it rains a bit in Spring but I myself rarely carry around an umbrella Snow can be a pain, but you don't have intolerable weather in winter for 4-5 months, it's more like 2 months where you need to protect yourself against the cold when outside, but our kids enjoy the snow through each month of winter, as long as they're dressed appropriately for it

As for income tax, I know it feels like a lot, but with some deductions such as RRSP contributions (as you mentioned), there is a pretty good return during income tax reporting time. Also if you have children with daycare, etc, you will get some credits on those payments, as well as deductions for the kids. Also, consider that we have one of the best medicare systems in the world. I was in the hospital for one month in a private room (due to the nature of my illness), and I did not pay one cent from my own pocket. That is what income tax is for

Having kids alone in the house under 12 years old, in my opinion is not only irresponsible, but could be dangerous for their sake and the sake of others. I am happy there is a law for this.

One other thing you did not mention for the pros of living in Canada, specifically Montreal, we have AWESOME pizza!!! lol

Regards,
PatC
Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:35 am
Gao Yao

David:

Thanks for your very balanced objective view.

-Gao

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:18 am
Aung

PatC, I'm not bad mouthing the situation or scaring the new immigrants of settling
in Canada.

You said that some of what I said is true which means a lot of them are not?

Please forgive me, if I overstated the obvious such as taxation, weather, social
welfare and professional situation in Canada.

Sure, the hospital and doctor that attended you wouldn't charge you 1 cent.

Yeah, they would get that from when you buy goods, service and 40% income tax.

How many new immigrant actually know what is life in Canada? 100%? or 50%? or 25%?

What they know and learn from is glossy brochure from either Canadian Embassy or High
Commissioner's office.

Let me ask you, have you see any picture of a 5 years old kid, pregnant wife and
husband struggling in the blow snow at -20C to get to a bus stop without any shelter
on weekday at 0530 am in a dark morning? Being there,done that.

So, think hard, plan ahead and live long.

David

"PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > David, some of what you say can definitely be true in some areas, but I feel that
    > some of what you say is a bit too general and does not equally apply to every
    > province. For example, the weather is not the same in western canada as it is in
    > eastern canada...in Quebec/Ontario, we don't have a 'rainy season' as such, it
    > rains a bit in Spring but I myself rarely carry around an umbrella Snow can be
    > a pain, but you don't have intolerable weather in winter for 4-5 months, it's more
    > like 2 months where you need to protect yourself against the cold when outside, but
    > our kids enjoy the snow through each month of winter, as long as they're dressed
    > appropriately for it
    > As for income tax, I know it feels like a lot, but with some deductions such as
    > RRSP contributions (as you mentioned), there is a pretty good return during income
    > tax reporting time. Also if you have children with daycare, etc, you will get some
    > credits on those payments, as well as deductions for the kids. Also, consider that
    > we have one of the best medicare systems in the world. I was in the hospital for
    > one month in a private room (due to the nature of my illness), and I did not pay
    > one cent from my own pocket. That is what income tax is for
    > Having kids alone in the house under 12 years old, in my opinion is not only
    > irresponsible, but could be dangerous for their sake and the sake of others. I am
    > happy there is a law for this.
    > One other thing you did not mention for the pros of living in Canada, specifically
    > Montreal, we have AWESOME pizza!!! lol
    > Regards, PatC
    > --
    > PatC
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:32 am
Stuart Brook

Aung wrote: It's against the law
    > to leave the kid(s) without adult supervision.

This blanket statement is incorrect in many jurisdictions in Canada. Were that true,
there would be no teenage babysitters.

The law in most jurisdictions is that to leave a child or a child in charge, the
parent must be confident that the child is competent to be in that situation for the
period they are alone. So it may be fine to leave an 11 yo alone for 15 minutes, but
not for two hours. Basically if something happens in your absence, then the
situation will be carefully looked at.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:43 am
Aung

Please read the whole paragraph which I posted earlier.

In you have young kid(s), you must arrange an adult or 12 years old kid to look after
them before and after the school when you're away at work. It's against the law to
leave the kid(s) without adult supervision.

"Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message [u-
rl="news:[email protected] anada.ca"]news:3D59893E.D148897B@n-
ot.here.for.spam.att.canada.ca[/url]...
    > Aung wrote: It's against the law
    > > to leave the kid(s) without adult supervision.
    > This blanket statement is incorrect in many jurisdictions in Canada. Were that
    > true, there would be no teenage babysitters.
    > The law in most jurisdictions is that to leave a child or a child in charge, the
    > parent must be confident that the child is competent to be in that situation for
    > the period they are alone. So it may be fine to leave an 11 yo alone for 15
    > minutes, but not for two hours. Basically if something happens in your absence,
    > then the situation will be carefully looked at.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 11:11 am
Stuart Brook

Aung wrote:
    > Please read the whole paragraph which I posted earlier.
    > In you have young kid(s), you must arrange an adult or 12 years old kid to look
    > after them before and after the school when you're away at work. It's against the
    > law to leave the kid(s) without adult supervision.

Read what I wrote again ... it is NOT against the law (as a blanket statement) to
leave children alone in most jurisdictions of Canada. There are no specific laws, nor
specified ages for children to be left alone. Most jurisdictions use a guideline of
12 years old as a general guideline to assist parents ... not because of any law.

Even if you leave a 15 year old alone and they get in trouble in the home (set fire
to the place, etc.) then you may or may not be charged under any number of more
general laws, depending on the specific circumstances. Conversely, you can leave a
mature 10 year old home alone and not break any laws. If your child shows signs of
neglect by being home alone, you can be sure that you will receive a visit from the
Childrens Aid Society, but it may not be a legal matter.

Stuart

Old Aug 13th 2002, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

PatC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Living in Canada!!!

David, what I actually said was:

"David, some of what you say can definitely be true in some areas, but I feel that some of what you say is a bit too general and does not equally apply to every province."

This just means that different provinces have different pros/cons. I had a different perspective/opinion which I thought I'd share. Of course, no country will be perfect, but I think Canada's positive qualities far outweigh its negative ones.

I've also been 'the pregnant wife' sitting at a curb in the scorching sun waiting for the bus, it's as equally uncomfortable in the middle of July, trust me lol

I think you summed it up best with your closing remark:

"So, think hard, plan ahead and live long."

If you know what to expect in advance by doing your homework, you won't be as irritated by the 'minor' inconveniences. I've lived here all my life, maybe I've just become immune to them

Cheers,
PatC
Old Aug 13th 2002, 11:47 am
Aftonokla

The best place to live in Canada is Vancouver. It is truly one of the world's
treasures.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:54 pm
buddy

Default Re: Re: Living in Canada!!!

Originally posted by Aftonokla:
The best place to live in Canada is Vancouver. It is truly one of the world's
treasures.
Why

[i]Originally posted by Aung:

Please read Toronto Sun front page article( August 11, 2002 ) where professionals
from other countries are employed in other fields than their own.
Could you provide the link to this article and/or other links on lives of immigrants in Canada?

Old Aug 25th 2002, 7:49 pm
Gordon Turner

"Aung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] k.net>...
    > Please read the whole paragraph which I posted earlier.
    > In you have young kid(s), you must arrange an adult or 12 years old kid to look
    > after them before and after the school when you're away at work. It's against the
    > law to leave the kid(s) without adult supervision.
    > "Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
    > news:3D59893E.D14889-
    > [email protected]
    > > Aung wrote: It's against the law
    > > > to leave the kid(s) without adult supervision.
    > >
    > > This blanket statement is incorrect in many jurisdictions in Canada. Were that
    > > true, there would be no teenage babysitters.
    > >
    > > The law in most jurisdictions is that to leave a child or a child in charge, the
    > > parent must be confident that the child is competent to be in that situation for
    > > the period they are alone. So it may be fine to leave an 11 yo alone for 15
    > > minutes, but not for two hours. Basically if something happens in your absence,
    > > then the situation will be carefully looked at.
    > >

Also, let's not be coy about 3rd world immigrants coming to Canada where there exists
the 'unspoken' animosities or 'racism' directed to different races and cultures. If
you don't have 'Canadian experience', you may not get the job or even the apartment
you wish to rent.

Despite all the propaganda from government sources, many Canadians are dis-enchanted
with enforced 'multi-culturalism' that is changing the country. So, as in most
'western countries', all is not right in the "best" country in the world. Thirty
years ago I would have agreed with that description, but no longer support that view.
Multi-culturalism (read: multi-racial) is whole new industry in itself, having
spawned off dozens of government subsidized agencies who have a vested interest in
the promotion of this failed program. To keep the dissidents in line, we have Human
Rights Tribunals, Employment-Equity programs, Anti-Hate laws etc. etc. If you want to
know more, check out some 'immigration reform' websites.
www.vdare.com
www.canadafirst.net
www.right-now.org