Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

live-in nanny - any restrictions for non-residents?

live-in nanny - any restrictions for non-residents?

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Natsanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default live-in nanny - any restrictions for non-residents?

I am here on a 3 year work permit. I have a 3 year old daughter and need childcare. Are there any restrictions on me hiring a nanny under the live-in caregiver programme as long as the contract is no longer than my work permit duration? I will have to do the occasional travel which is why I am looking for a live-in Nanny.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:40 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: live-in nanny - any restrictions for non-residents?

Have a read of this.
I does not mention if you would need to have PR, so I'd certainly check that point.

Is there a reason you cannot hire a citizen or someone with PR to be a live-in-caregiver, rather than having to recruit one from elsewhere? I ask as unless there is a complete lack of people available, or you can prove this, you won't be given an LMO (Labor Market Opinion - basically says that there were no citizens or PR found who could do the job)

Oh, and looking at the CIC timelines, it seems that it takes 11 - 12 months for the initial assessment and a further 15 months for the final decision on an application, so it would take at least a year to get the person over, and I'm guessing you'd need them now.

Last edited by sharkus; Mar 22nd 2011 at 7:47 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:45 am
Just Joined

thanks for your reply. I was advised to look for a foreign nanny looking for residency. the reason is partly cost but partly commitment - those who are sponsored are likely to want to stay with the family for the long term. However, Id be happy to consider a PR if they were right and at the right cost. My main concern is finding someone I can trust if I have to go away with work for a few days. It wont happen often but i will have to travel and it's a big worry for me.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sharkus
Oh, and looking at the CIC timelines, it seems that it takes 11 - 12 months for the initial assessment and a further 15 months for the final decision on an application, so it would take at least a year to get the person over, and I'm guessing you'd need them now.
These time scales are wrong. They are for somebody who has been working on the LCP program in Canada for at least two years and who is now applying for PR.

Assuming you have identified the person you want to hire under the LCP, the process for us looked like (ignoring the time we wasted in between):
  • Get Revenue Canada Employer Number (2 weeks)
  • Advertise the job on the JobCanada web site (4+ weeks)
  • Apply for LMO (6 weeks)
  • Caregiver applies for visa (visa could be simple and fast, but embassy IOs seem to require the (recommended but optional) police certificates, which in our case added 3 month wait until decision) (Should ideally take one month, but ours took 6 months)

I am not sure it is difficult to get a LMO. And I am not sure if it depends on where exactly you are living. Many people who can already work in Canada do not want to live in with the family they are working for. So the LMO may be easier than it seems. We certainly did not have any problems in getting our LMO.

Finally I can not remember if we provided any particular proof about our citizenship. To get the CRA employer number they want your SIN number, but I don't think they care about immigration status. To get the LMO, you have to get a lawyer (or similar person) to certify your IDENTITY, but not immigration status. And the visa application form does not talk about your immigration status.

I would in general recommend applying for a 4 year LCP visa in the expectation that you will renew your TWP. That way you do not need to ALSO renew your caregiver's visa if you stay longer.

Last edited by bewillow; Mar 25th 2011 at 6:33 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:52 am
Just Joined

thanks for the response, it was helpful. In addition to finding someone overseas that I want to sponsor, are there situations when Nannies are being sponsored by a family but that family don't require them any more? That was what I was told could happen, in which case they're already in Canada, working, with a visa but the new employer (ie me) takes on the sponsorship. This would mean no delay in getting them over. Is this possible?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

The nanny and the family have an employment contract. In Ontario the worker can be fired or quit with two weeks notice. Either party can break the contract if they are not happy, though I am not sure exactly what grounds are allowed or excluded.

The work permit for somebody in the LCP is specific to the one employer. So if they part ways from the original employer (or employer dies), the worker can not work in Canada until they find a new employer who then (1) gets a new LMO and (2) applies for a new work permit.

So if somebody is already here, then (a) they know Canada, (b) they will be very eager to get a new employer, (c) they already have done their police and medical certificates and (c) they already meet all the training/experience requirements for the LCP program.

Last edited by bewillow; Mar 26th 2011 at 1:02 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few on kijiji looking for live-in nanny positions and already in Canada...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-live-in-n...earchFormZtrue

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 26th 2011 at 1:31 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you can find somebody who you like who is already in Canada, then that is the faster and probably better way of doing it. That way you can more easily meet the caregiver and see if he/she will make a good fit into your family and with your children.

On the other hand if you have somebody specific in mind as a caregiver, then it might be worth investing the time in bringing them through the whole process. They may bring something very specific with them (like specific language skills), or you may have worked with them previously abroad and feel super comfortable with them.