Live in caregiver

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:26 am
Just Joined

edenw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live in caregiver

Hi
I'm currently in BC working as a nanny and have been for 6 months. I'm apply to do the live in caregiver program sponsored by my current employers.
Does anyone have experience with this.
Time lines for processing LMO's and the actual application.
Or any problems they've encountered would be great to hear other peoples stories.
I'm currently working through IEC and it runs out July 19th. i know i lft it late but both my employers are doctors and trying to get them to sort stuff is hard (i gave them the forms in November!).
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live in caregiver

Originally Posted by edenw
Hi
I'm currently in BC working as a nanny and have been for 6 months. I'm apply to do the live in caregiver program sponsored by my current employers.
Or any problems they've encountered would be great to hear other peoples stories.
I'm currently working through IEC and it runs out July 19th. i know i lft it late but both my employers are doctors and trying to get them to sort stuff is hard (i gave them the forms in November!).
Do you mean apply under the live-in caregiver program for a work permit?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ca.../apply-who.asp

You can't apply from inside Canada for the live in caregiver TWP, as far as I am aware.
To participate in the Live-in Caregiver Program, you must make an application for an initial live-in caregiver work permit at a visa office outside Canada.

If your application is successful, you will receive a letter of introduction from the Canadian visa office responsible for your area. You will need to present this letter to the Border Services Officer upon arrival in Canada in order to obtain your work permit.
You would also need to have experience and training to qualify:
At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years

To claim work experience, you need to have worked for one year, including at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer. This work experience must be in a field or occupation specific to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. This experience must have been acquired within the three years immediately before the day on which you make an application for a work permit as a caregiver.

To claim training, it must have been full-time training in a classroom setting. Areas of study could be early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid.
I presume you had to undergo a medical before you got your IEC work permit, as otherwise the conditions attached to it would not allow you to work with children.

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by edenw
Hi

1. I think your employers have "missed the bus" Advertising the position 4 weeks, then 6-16 weeks for an approved LMO, before you can apply for a work permit.
2. Note you have to apply to an overseas office for the work permit, also you need a medical, I assume you haven't had a medical for the work that you are doing now. (Although you need one, working with children)
3. Do you have the qualifications?

"At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years

To claim work experience, you need to have worked for one year, including at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer. This work experience must be in a field or occupation specific to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. This experience must have been acquired within the three years immediately before the day on which you make an application for a work permit as a caregiver.

To claim training, it must have been full-time training in a classroom setting. Areas of study could be early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid."

You should read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ca.../apply-who.asp
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

edenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i do have a medical. thanks for the info that you have to apply to an office outside Canada London would be my local. however my employers hired a lawyer to sort it all and he has failed to mention i need to apply outside Canada. does this just mean the application has to be sent there or does it mean i physically have to be outside Canada?
I have the work experience it worked in a nursery from may 2009 to may 2012 so that last year just falls in time.