A little help needed with visas

Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

bluumax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A little help needed with visas

Hi guys, ive just signed up to the forum and had a read through the wiki page as im planning to immigrate to Canada (specifically the Yukon) in the near future.

here is my situation; I am a final year mechanical engineering student (graduate mid 2015), im 23 and have an aunt who is a resident and business owner in the Yukon, she has lived in Canada for over 20 years and hold both a uk and British passport but is not a Canadian citizen.
Ive been out and stayed long enough over the years to know this is where i want to spend my life, so i am looking for permanent residence status as soon as possible.
The trouble im having is knowing exactly which visas i can apply for/ which visa is the most relevent for my situation.

Any advice or recomendations on who to contact would be greatly apreciated.

thanks in advance
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A little help needed with visas

Originally Posted by bluumax
Hi guys, ive just signed up to the forum and had a read through the wiki page as im planning to immigrate to Canada (specifically the Yukon) in the near future.

here is my situation; I am a final year mechanical engineering student (graduate mid 2015), im 23 and have an aunt who is a resident and business owner in the Yukon, she has lived in Canada for over 20 years and hold both a uk and British passport but is not a Canadian citizen.
Ive been out and stayed long enough over the years to know this is where i want to spend my life, so i am looking for permanent residence status as soon as possible.
The trouble im having is knowing exactly which visas i can apply for/ which visa is the most relevent for my situation.

Any advice or recomendations on who to contact would be greatly apreciated.

thanks in advance
Do you have relevant work experience in a skilled profession? Without that I don't think you're eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker stream and without Canadian work experience you're not eligible for CEC either.

PNP might be an option? If The Yukon participate in that?
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Well hello there .

If you have read the WIKI, you will now know that:

Your aunt is unfortunately irrelevant to your immigration prospects, unless her business is in dire straits of needing a position filled & there are no Canadians/PR holders qualified/applying for the position. See LMIA process.

As you are under 30, look at IEC visas (but you'll need to get your act in gear as it's about to open soon & places typically go in minutes).

Otherwise, EE/PNP...

Good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:50 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for IEC being your best bet, and it's set to open any day now. If you get your ducks in a row you can apply for it, it's a one-year visa, and you can apply for a second year. That's easily your best bet.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by doubleym
Do you have relevant work experience in a skilled profession? Without that I don't think you're eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker stream and without Canadian work experience you're not eligible for CEC either.

PNP might be an option? If The Yukon participate in that?
thank you for the reply, it appears the Yukon do participate in the PNP and i believe i would fall into one of the required categories but would require a job offer.
I do have around 18 months experience in the engineering industry but i believe this wont be enough.

thanks fgor the info guys, ill take a look at the IEC
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
+1 for IEC being your best bet, and it's set to open any day now. If you get your ducks in a row you can apply for it, it's a one-year visa, and you can apply for a second year. That's easily your best bet.
(Apparently now about to become 2 years from the get-go for Brits.... - good news for those who need to use it as a stepping-stone to PR )
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

looks like it will be opening anytime after mid feb, thanks for the advice guys, i really apreciate it
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

I totally forgot about the IEC, I just immediately started thinking "They're interested in PR"

As the others say IEC is your best best to get out there in the short term, then you can immediately assess your options after you arrive, it'd be a lot easier to secure employment for LMIA/PNP or whatever once you're here, you can also begin to accrue Canadian work experience which is also a good thing.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 12:14 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluumax
... she has lived in Canada for over 20 years and hold both a uk and British passport but is not a Canadian citizen...
As a completely unhelpful and irrelevant aside, what is the difference between a UK and British passport?