Wikiposts

a little help with BC PNP

Old May 6th 2009, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Marko Polo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a little help with BC PNP

I've visited vancouver several times and really want to immigrate there. I did apply for a visa under the skilled worker program 7 years ago but had to withdraw my application. On visiting the CIC site i see that they are now limiting the occupations for skilled workers to a small number of professions none of which i have any experience in as i have worked in marketing for 10 years, so i'm figuring this avenue is now closed to me?

I've looked at the provincial nominee program but dont really understand how i go about getting nominated by BC . Does anyone have any advice of how i can still get to BC?
Old May 6th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice
Default Re: a little help with BC PNP

Originally Posted by Marko Polo
I've visited vancouver several times and really want to immigrate there. I did apply for a visa under the skilled worker program 7 years ago but had to withdraw my application. On visiting the CIC site i see that they are now limiting the occupations for skilled workers to a small number of professions none of which i have any experience in as i have worked in marketing for 10 years, so i'm figuring this avenue is now closed to me?

I've looked at the provincial nominee program but dont really understand how i go about getting nominated by BC . Does anyone have any advice of how i can still get to BC?
Hi.
Yes, you can come over under BC PNP. Link here:
However, for the Strategic Occupation stream there you need to have a job offer and have your employer prepare some paperwork for you. This means that it is quite similar to the Arranged Employment Opinion stream for Federal Skilled Worker. There is debate on here as to which one might be faster now.

Certainly, for me, I got BC PNP within 3 weeks of applying. Once you have PNP you then can get a letter of support to get a work permit so you can get going early.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:48 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESarge
Hi.
Yes, you can come over under BC PNP. Link here:
However, for the Strategic Occupation stream there you need to have a job offer and have your employer prepare some paperwork for you. This means that it is quite similar to the Arranged Employment Opinion stream for Federal Skilled Worker. There is debate on here as to which one might be faster now.

Certainly, for me, I got BC PNP within 3 weeks of applying. Once you have PNP you then can get a letter of support to get a work permit so you can get going early.
ditto...
Old May 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You can still apply as a Skilled Worker, but you'd need a job offer first. It's a job on the list of 38 'occupations in demand' OR a job offer, not both.

So get job hunting (read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki - on blue bar at top of page - which will tell you how to go about finding a job in Canada as it's a very different hiring culture from here) and best of luck!

Old May 10th 2009, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Hi,
thanks for the useful links and info, where do you go to sign up?
Old May 10th 2009, 5:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
thanks for the useful links and info, where do you go to sign up?
Eh?!? Sign up for what?

If you mean the Wiki, it's on the blue bar at the top of the page, no need to sign up for anything to use it.

Old May 12th 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

haha, nah was wanting to know where you go to apply for the BC PNP program?
Old May 12th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincialnominee/welcome.htm
Old May 19th 2009, 9:47 am
Just Joined

could you explain how the process works? and how you go about making an application?

i couldnt see anywhere to apply for the program on that site
Old May 19th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincial...ions/forms.htm

The links are on the right hand side. The UI is a bit strange and hard to use.
Old May 31st 2009, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Great thanks, so do you need a guaranteed job offer from a canadian employer to apply? or can you apply without a job offer?
Old May 31st 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes - you need a job offer. You also need the employer to do some paperwork for you. i.e. fill in some forms, write a letter about why they wanted you.

Note that this is for the Strategic Occupation stream. If you want to start a business then there's a way to do that.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks

I've got 10 years experience in marketing so i dont think that a canadian employer is going to offer me a job in a field where Canada has an abundant supply of labour. Is there another avenue i can try?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Not really - at least for BC.
Job offer allows AEO or BC PNP.
Being on the list of 38 occupations allows FSW.

You're probably a little too old for BUNAC.

You could try getting over here on a visitor's permit and taking a look around for yourself. If immigrating to Canada matters enough to you then don't assume no-one will hire you until you've actually tested that assumption. If you are needed enough and no Canadian can be found then getting either BC PNP or a temporary work permit are easy enough and get you started.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 3:19 am
Just Joined

thanks for all your help and info.

i've been applying for jobs, i work in gaming and have had interest from an employer in Montreal. if i were to get the job in montreal how long would you have to stay with that employer before you could get a visa or permit which would allow you to stay in canada and move to a different employer in Vancouver? ie to have freedom of movement between jobs and stay in canada... or if i were to get the job in montreal, if i left it would have to return to the UK as the work permit i'd have would end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.