Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A little advice please, if you’ll indulge me...

A little advice please, if you’ll indulge me...

Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:40 am
Just Joined

ben.eos20d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A little advice please, if you’ll indulge me...

Hello there,

I’m a 19 year old male looking to eventually study in Canada, although initially enter with BUNAC’s “working-holiday” work permit, as advised by York University in Ontario (I hold no British or Canadian qualifications, they have advised me to enter Canada under a work permit and approach community college, as they will be able to “sponsor” me for a study permit... apparently). I will most likely wish to immigrate to Canada eventually.

I have been to Canada twice before, the first time being over Christmas, however I was issued a restricted visa (having arrived direct from Sudan) and was advised by the immigration officer to mention this to anybody that might issue me a work permit in the future as it could have “complications”... the second time around though was in March and quite uneventful, instead of being held up in immigration for hours I was sent straight through customs and out of the airport in a matter of minutes. I have lived in Ontario for a combined total of two months.

I have travelled extensively and have a lot of experience with borders and visas (some of it unwanted..!), but I am completely green to the prospect of emigration and work permits, as is my partner.

I’m wondering if you might advise me how best to proceed regarding emigration to Canada for myself and emigration to the UK for my partner (a Canadian citizen), including our two children, as we have yet to decide where we want to “end up”, so to speak.

I also have a question regarding citizenship; my uncle on my father’s side is a dual citizen and, for most of the year, resides in Edmonton, Alberta. On both my mother and father’s sides I have an incredible amount of ancestors that ended up in Canada (some I believe as close as three generations back), is this any benefit to claiming citizenship? Is it possible for my uncle, or my (hopefully future) spouse to sponsor my citizenship application? What would be the advantage of this?

For the kids’ sake as well, I understand that both full NHS and educational services would be free for them, and my partner would be eligible for free NHS treatment if she is granted a stay of over 12 months. Is this information correct? The children are eight and three years old respectively.

This brings me to another pressing matter in my mind; what about my health insurance? Do I have to get travel insurance for this 12-month working trip? Will it be provided by my employer? Will I automatically be covered by Ontario Provincial Health as they would be by the NHS?

And regarding the BUNAC visa/permit, I assume it’s a multiple entry arrangement? My partner wishes to come to England over Christmas so she can meet my family, am I correct in the assumption that if we took a couple of weeks over the holidays to come back to Blighty my permit would still be valid?

Any advice at all regarding the finer details of all of this... Brits going to Canada, Canucks coming to Blighty, the children, etc, would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:04 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A little advice please, if you’ll indulge me...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522462
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the prompt reply bazzz, however I have already read that thread and didn't get much from it... for a start, it lists citizenship requirements - I don't know if I'm eligible - does an uncle count?

I'm afraid I just don't have the head for this!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ben.eos20d
Thank you for the prompt reply bazzz, however I have already read that thread and didn't get much from it... for a start, it lists citizenship requirements - I don't know if I'm eligible - does an uncle count?
For citizenship? No chance.

For immigration - maybe a marginal benefit, depending on circumstances.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:15 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion it is beyond the scope of this forum to advise you. If you really are in the situation you describe, I recommend you get professional help. Many immigration consultants will do a free initial assessment. You could read the articles in the Wiki section of this website to get up to speed, to some extent, on topics like immigration, medical insurance, and such. You should read the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. But, in your circumstances, I don't think that'll be enough.

There are three immigration experts who post on this forum and whose advice I would trust:
x
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:16 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid I just don't have the head for this!
If the thread bazzz pointed out to you and Wiki didn't provide you with enough information then keep learning here:

www.cic.gc.ca

With your very young age it is hard to imagine that you can have high enough education level and years of skilled work experience to qualify on your own for immigration to Canada in any economic class.

Your uncle, if it is conclusively documented that he resides permanently in Canada (not just lives here part of the year), can provide you with extra 5 points, but it won't be enough anyway.

Your only options are:

- BUNAC - 1 year temporary work permit (not extendable)

- study permit - if you can afford paying international tuition and have enough money for living expenses, providing that school accepts you

- be sponsored for PR visa by your common-law partner - if you are living together and have already lived together in conjugal relationship for at least 12 months and can conclusively document it; or after getting married.

Nobody can "sponsor" you for citizenship - first you must become a Canadian PR and then after at least 3 years of living in Canada as PR you may qualify to apply for citizenship.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:37 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a 19 year old
including our two children
The children are eight and three years old respectively.
Sounds like you have a complicated life! You may or may not be eligible for BUNAC depending just how partner your partner actually is: http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/eligibility.aspx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

JTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura about

I’m a 19 year old male

The children are eight and three years old respectively.
You were eleven when you had your first child? Gosh.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
For citizenship? No chance.
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
In my opinion it is beyond the scope of this forum to advise you. If you really are in the situation you describe, I recommend you get professional help.
Yes, I thought as much... however as I've said I'm completely green to all of this and feel I can benefit from the (vast) experience of the users here, if only in the form of suggestions rather than advice.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Your only options are:
- BUNAC - 1 year temporary work permit (not extendable)
BUNAC told me quite directly that it is possible to "change" their working-holiday visa to a standard work permit at the end of the first year, and that it has been done before... are you suggesting this is not the case?

...study permit - if you can afford paying international tuition and have enough money for living expenses, providing that school accepts you...
It was the head of international student admissions at York University in Toronto that advised me to enter Canada on a work permit and register myself at the local community college who would then provide me with the necessaries to obtain a study permit... I plan to study and work part time in order to fund this, and then hopefully get a student loan to continue on to York in a couple of years time, the gentleman on the end of the phone at York didn't seem to think there was any problem with this and supported the plan infact.

...be sponsored for PR visa by your common-law partner - if you are living together and have already lived together in conjugal relationship for at least 12 months and can conclusively document it; or after getting married.
If that's the case, then if all else failed, after living with my partner on the working holiday visa for 12 months would I then be eligible (with her sponsorship) for a permanent residency visa?

Nobody can "sponsor" you for citizenship - first you must become a Canadian PR and then after at least 3 years of living in Canada as PR you may qualify to apply for citizenship.
Thank you for clearing that up about the sponsorship, but I was already aware of the "3 year" prerequisite - I assume this would be negated in the scenario I've suggested above?

Originally Posted by acer rose
Sounds like you have a complicated life! You may or may not be eligible for BUNAC depending just how partner your partner actually is: http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/eligibility.aspx
Well, I will certainly say it's been an interesting one, if not always simple..! I've already seen that BUNAC rule and luckily we're still "eligible".

Originally Posted by JTM73
You were eleven when you had your first child? Gosh.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I'm not their biological father! But for clarification, no, I'm not. And should we decide to move back to Blighty, custody shouldn't be an issue either, but we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Thank you all though for taking an interest though and helping me, I understand this is a rather odd situation but any further support is and will be appreciated!

Last edited by ben.eos20d; Jun 5th 2008 at 5:09 am. Reason: Minor alterations and a thank you!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Yes, I thought as much... however as I've said I'm completely green to all of this and feel I can benefit from the (vast) experience of the users here, if only in the form of suggestions rather than advice.

BUNAC told me quite directly that it is possible to "change" their working-holiday visa to a standard work permit at the end of the first year, and that it has been done before... are you suggesting this is not the case?

It was the head of international student admissions at York University in Toronto that advised me to enter Canada on a work permit and register myself at the local community college who would then provide me with the necessaries to obtain a study permit... I plan to study and work part time in order to fund this, and then hopefully get a student loan to continue on to York in a couple of years time, the gentleman on the end of the phone at York didn't seem to think there was any problem with this and supported the plan infact.

If that's the case, then if all else failed, after living with my partner on the working holiday visa for 12 months would I then be eligible (with her sponsorship) for a permanent residency visa?

Thank you for clearing that up about the sponsorship, but I was already aware of the "3 year" prerequisite - I assume this would be negated in the scenario I've suggested above?

Well, I will certainly say it's been an interesting one, if not always simple..! I've already seen that BUNAC rule and luckily we're still "eligible".

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I'm not their biological father! But for clarification, no, I'm not. And should we decide to move back to Blighty, custody shouldn't be an issue either, but we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Thank you all though for taking an interest though and helping me, I understand this is a rather odd situation but any further support is and will be appreciated!
You should note that with a C/law Canadian partner, you are not eligible for a BUNAC work visa.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
You should note that with a C/law Canadian partner, you are not eligible for a BUNAC work visa.
Hi PMM.

According to the BUNAC requirements here, and I quote...
Originally Posted by BUNAC
If you have a Canadian partner*, you may not be eligible to apply to the Work or Gap Canada programme.
* Partner means engaged, married, or have lived together for more than twelve months.
We are eligible, as we are not engaged, married, nor have we lived together for twelve months -- Sorry if there was any misunderstanding, however the question I'm asking regarding this is after having lived and worked in Canada on the BUNAC visa for 12 months, would I then be considered a "common-law partner" and thus eligible to be sponsored by my partner for a permanent residency visa?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Jhulley is an unknown quantity at this point

That is something that I was wondering about. Im in a funny situation where my boyfriend and I will only have lived together for 12 months come the end of February. We were wondering if he could still apply for the BUNAC in Nov/Dec and be eligible, ;eaving ASAP whenever its finished - but most likely at the start of Febraur, then file for common law later on, after we had settled and passed the 12 months by a few months.
We called BUNAC regarding the visa and our situation and their response was that on the application it asks to you make a statement of common law married, single etc status and it is relative to WHEN the application is made, not when you enter Canada. Im still not convinced on this, thinking it sounds too easy! Lol.
I would assume though that for you, after the 12 months of living together through the BUNAC you could then apply for the common law visa.