British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Listing countries visited on FSW app ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/listing-countries-visited-fsw-app-735836/)

Oilman J Oct 16th 2011 3:26 pm

Listing countries visited on FSW app ??

Hi there,

Just starting the application process for FSW to move to Ontario.

I see in one section it asks to list all the countries I have visited in the past years.
Well, I work for an offshore construction company and I fly all round the world to various jobs. NZ, OZ, Norway, South Africa, West Africa, USA.....etc.
I cant keep count of where I have been. So what should I do ?

I dont want to try and list them all, miss some out by mistake and then get pulled up for it.

Just for info, Im applying for FSW using my trade as an Agricultural engineer/Heavy mechanic even though I do not intend to work in Canada as I will remain offshore with my current company.
Hope it all goes smooth!!!!

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Dave n Ailsa Oct 16th 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Listing countries visited on FSW app ??

My wife is in the same boat.

She's in a global role within her company and has visited many countries over the last 10 years.

My suggestion would be, anything stamped on your passport would constitute a visit to another country.

To be on the safe side I'd try and remember all your visits.

In today's world everyone is suspicious.

Oilman J Oct 16th 2011 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa (Post 9677983)
My wife is in the same boat.

She's in a global role within her company and has visited many countries over the last 10 years.

My suggestion would be, anything stamped on your passport would constitute a visit to another country.

To be on the safe side I'd try and remember all your visits.

In today's world everyone is suspicious.

Thanks Dave,

Sent you a mail , hope you dont mind

Regards

AmyDavid Oct 16th 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Oilman J (Post 9677893)
Hi there,

Just starting the application process for FSW to move to Ontario.

I see in one section it asks to list all the countries I have visited in the past years.
Well, I work for an offshore construction company and I fly all round the world to various jobs. NZ, OZ, Norway, South Africa, West Africa, USA.....etc.
I cant keep count of where I have been. So what should I do ?

I dont want to try and list them all, miss some out by mistake and then get pulled up for it.

Just for info, Im applying for FSW using my trade as an Agricultural engineer/Heavy mechanic even though I do not intend to work in Canada as I will remain offshore with my current company.
Hope it all goes smooth!!!!

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Does your employer not have a list of all the places that you have been?

mandymoochops Oct 16th 2011 9:55 pm

I would second both the above approaches - list all the stamps in your passport on a piece of paper, try and match from memory why you were there - any gaps then ask your employer :)

didnotbother Oct 16th 2011 11:46 pm

Just use the stamps in your passport, don't list countries that aren't stamped in there. I visited Canada recently and crossed the border from the US and they didn't stamp my passport. So according to fact there is no record of me entering Canada, except the money I spent on my card and visiting the dentist. I have re-entered some countries myself on the same stamp, as it was still valid from the last time I entered that country, as I work abroad quite often aswell.

christmasoompa Oct 17th 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by didnotbother (Post 9678517)
Just use the stamps in your passport, don't list countries that aren't stamped in there. I visited Canada recently and crossed the border from the US and they didn't stamp my passport. So according to fact there is no record of me entering Canada, except the money I spent on my card and visiting the dentist. I have re-entered some countries myself on the same stamp, as it was still valid from the last time I entered that country, as I work abroad quite often aswell.

Except that most people these days have machine readable passports that are just swiped on entry/exit. That's why stamps are rarely used anymore, but it doesn't mean there's no record of somebody being in the country - it's just electronic now instead.

expatdoris Oct 17th 2011 1:48 pm

I know you have to list all short term visits in the last 10 years, but the main issue will be all the places you have lived for over 6 months since you were 18 years old, these you have to get police checks done. That will be an issue if you lived in middle east countries, they take forever to come through, if they can be bothered. Estimated at 18 weeks in Kuwait alone! You have to get the paperwork in order before that and deliver it to the embassy in London, nightmare!

Immigration will know every country you have visited, forget to mention them and they will become suspicous and they will delay or reject your application. Best to play safe.

RKS_in_Calgary Oct 17th 2011 2:04 pm

We had the same problem so we started with the passport stamps, then used things like credit card bills / bank statements, old diaries, employment contracts (secondments overseas) etc. I worked in Ireland and came home some weekends and stayed there for others - In the end we just put the start and end dates and then noted that I had travelled regularly back and forth but didnt have actual dates. We added a note to the bottom of the list saying we had done the best we could but couldnt be certain we hadn't missed anything.

We recently had our PPR so it seems to have worked for us. I think as long as the whole package ties toegther and they can see you have made an effort,then its probably ok. Good luck:fingerscrossed:

didnotbother Oct 17th 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9679168)
Except that most people these days have machine readable passports that are just swiped on entry/exit. That's why stamps are rarely used anymore, but it doesn't mean there's no record of somebody being in the country - it's just electronic now instead.

The US immigration have stamped my passport every year for the pas 5 years, as did Toronto last year and earlier this year, even though my passport is m/c readable. But this year when I entered Canada across the border, they didn't bother? infact she just looked in the boot of my car, and looked at my passport and asked how long I was staying for, and said enjoy your stay in Canada.

If for some reason the RCMP had have stopped me and wanted to use my passport as ID, I would have been stuffed and probably arrested until I could proove that I didn't enter illegally. That would have been quite a difficult task to do to, since that my passport didn't even enter the office where she was sat. So apart from filling up and paying with my card, and a visit to my old dentisit, that's one visit to Canada not officially recorded by there immigration system.

Infact I once visited Chigago some years ago on the old black British passport, and there was some problem at the passport office. I had a work visa in my passport that had expired on the same day along with many other ones from previous visits. And they wanted to know if I was intending to do any work, I informed them that I was visiting the City for the weekend to see the Indians play the White Sox. Then flying back down to Texas to pick up my flight back home as my work down there was complete. They ask me what kind of work I had been doing, I told them and then they also said enjoy your visit and the game. But again no stamp in the passport?