Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Likelihood of obtaining a visitor visa?

Wikiposts

Likelihood of obtaining a visitor visa?

Old Jun 14th 2002, 12:20 am
Thomas

Default Likelihood of obtaining a visitor visa?

I am engaged to be married to an Indonesian girl next year. I don't meet the
financial criteria to sponsor her as a fiancee, and marrying now is not an option.
So, we've decided that she should come as a visitor and we will marry in Canada, and
then apply for PR from within.

As far as I can tell, our main obstacle will be getting her a visitor visa. Can
anyone give me advice on how to maximize her chances of successfully getting into
the country?

I have heard that to increase the chances, she can show ties to Indonesia. What kind
of ties should we show?

She has already come to visit Canada once, will that increase her chance of being
issued a visa?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Old Jun 14th 2002, 12:21 pm
Webimmigration.

Default Re: Likelihood of obtaining a visitor visa?

Hi:

It will be very difficult for your fiancee from Indonesia to obtain a visitor visa to
Canada unless she is strong ties to her home country.

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

"Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am engaged to be married to an Indonesian girl next year. I don't meet the
    > financial criteria to sponsor her as a fiancee, and marrying now is not an option.
    > So, we've decided that she should come as a visitor and we will marry in Canada,
    > and then apply for PR from within.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, our main obstacle will be getting her a visitor visa. Can
    > anyone give me advice on how to maximize her chances of successfully getting into
    > the country?
    >
    > I have heard that to increase the chances, she can show ties to Indonesia. What
    > kind of ties should we show?
    >
    > She has already come to visit Canada once, will that increase her chance of being
    > issued a visa?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Thomas

Old Jun 14th 2002, 8:20 pm
Thomas

I forgot to mention in the post: I'm a Canadian citizen.

Old Jun 15th 2002, 3:20 am
Thomas

Hmm, this is not good news.

How can we demonstrate strong ties to her home country? Would it help if she could
get something to show them, like enrollment in university, with studies to commence a
month or so after her trip is supposed to be taking place? What about a rent
contract? This will be tricky because, in reality, the only tie she will have to
Indonesia is her family (parents) living there.

Can anyone with experience in this area give me a ballpark idea of what our chance of
successfully getting a visitor visa is?

If it's rejected, could we still get married in Indonesia, and I would sponsor her as
a spouse living abroad?

Thomas

"WebImmigration.Com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Hi:
    >
    > It will be very difficult for your fiancee from Indonesia to obtain a visitor visa
    > to Canada unless she is strong ties to her home country.
    >
    > Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.
    > _____________________
    > Webimmigration.com 225-141 Bannatyne Ave. E. Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada R3B 0R3 Tel:
    > 1-204-943-3303 Fax: 1-204-943-2625 Email: [email protected] Visit our website
    > at: www.webimmigration.com
    >
    > "Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am engaged to be married to an Indonesian girl next year. I don't meet the
    > > financial criteria to sponsor her as a fiancee, and marrying now is not an
    > > option. So, we've decided that she should come as a visitor and we will marry in
    > > Canada, and then apply for PR from within.
    > >
    > > As far as I can tell, our main obstacle will be getting her a visitor visa. Can
    > > anyone give me advice on how to maximize her chances of successfully getting into
    > > the country?
    > >
    > > I have heard that to increase the chances, she can show ties to Indonesia. What
    > > kind of ties should we show?
    > >
    > > She has already come to visit Canada once, will that increase her chance of being
    > > issued a visa?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Thomas

Old Jun 15th 2002, 10:20 am
None Noner

> How can we demonstrate strong ties to her home country? Would it help if she could
    > get something to show them, like enrollment in university, with studies to commence
    > a month or so after her trip is supposed to be taking place? What about a rent
    > contract? This will be tricky because, in reality, the only tie she will have to
    > Indonesia is her family (parents) living there.

Generally speaking, ties to the home country may take different forms, depending on
the situation. Usually though, the fact that the parents are still there in the home
country is a moot point, and is usually not considered to be grounds for sufficient
belief that the applicant will return on the completion of her stay. This is even
more applicable in you case, as your fiance has no intention of returning, but of
getting married and applying for permanent residence.

Also, the other factors you mention (rent lease, university enrollment etc) do not
demonstrate ties. Applicants for visitor's visa's are looked at as being potential
immigrants, and the burden of satisfying a visa officer that they will return after
their visit rests on the applicant. As a matter of procedure, a person who applies
for a visit visa and is unable to satisfy a visa officer that they will return to
their home country will be refused.

Again for your fiance to apply for a visa with the things you mention, or for any
other applicant for that matter, there is no sure way of saying they will be granted
a visa. It is a very discreatonary process. Usually, it is a combination of various
factors, such as having title to property, strong family ties that will not be easily
severed (like having children who are not going to accompany you for example), being
in the middle of an educational program where it is clear the applicant has no
intention to abandon (say in the third year of a four year engineering or medical
program) etc.

The fact that she has visited Canada once before (if it is within the last 5 years,
and if she did not stay longer then the duration she was granted) may be a factor in
your favour.

Again, when it comes to visitor's visa, there is no proven "recepie" and no way to
gurantee an approval.

> If it's rejected, could we still get married in Indonesia, and I would sponsor her
    > as a spouse living abroad?

Your best bet would be, get married in Indonesia if you are able to go there, and
sponsor her as a spouse.

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG