Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Lifting work restrictions on open TWP

Lifting work restrictions on open TWP

Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lifting work restrictions on open TWP

Tried to phone CIC but got lost in the maze that is their automated system and can't actually get to an option to speak to someone.

I'm currently holding a open TWP which has the restriction 'not authorised to work in childcare, primary/secondary school..( etc etc) and wondering if there is any way to get this restriction lifted? (husband here on a intra-company transfer and also has this restriction on his)
A friend has the exact same type of permit (accompanying her spouse too) but does not have this restriction on it.

No idea why we would have this restriction in the first place as we are not on the list of countries that automatically need a medical to get in the country - we used our Australian passports to enter the country.
Any suggestions?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lifting work restrictions on open TWP

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Tried to phone CIC but got lost in the maze that is their automated system and can't actually get to an option to speak to someone.

I'm currently holding a open TWP which has the restriction 'not authorised to work in childcare, primary/secondary school..( etc etc) and wondering if there is any way to get this restriction lifted? (husband here on a intra-company transfer and also has this restriction on his)
A friend has the exact same type of permit (accompanying her spouse too) but does not have this restriction on it.

No idea why we would have this restriction in the first place as we are not on the list of countries that automatically need a medical to get in the country - we used our Australian passports to enter the country.
Any suggestions?
You have that restriction because anybody working in close proximity with people (healthcare etc) needs to have a medical, regardless of their country of origin.

But in any event, what you need to do is have a medical done at a DMP, and then apply to change the conditions on your TWP - you can do that via the CIC website.

HTH.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You have that restriction because anybody working in close proximity with people (healthcare etc) needs to have a medical, regardless of their country of origin.

But in any event, what you need to do is have a medical done at a DMP, and then apply to change the conditions on your TWP - you can do that via the CIC website.

HTH.
Thanks. I'll do that.
I'm confused as to why my friend doesn't have the same condition on hers in that case though
ETA I asked and she hasn't had a medical done
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'll do that.
I'm confused as to why my friend doesn't have the same condition on hers in that case though
ETA I asked and she hasn't had a medical done
I've no idea, and have never heard of somebody not having it on their TWP before, I can only assume it was a mistake on the immi officers part when he issued it.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I've no idea, and have never heard of somebody not having it on their TWP before, I can only assume it was a mistake on the immi officers part when he issued it.
ok. Guess she got lucky at the border then.
She is working in daycare here, and says she even stated that as her previous profession.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

ok. Guess she got lucky at the border then.
She is working in daycare here, and says she even stated that as her previous profession.
And she's definitely not done a medical as part of a PR app or similar? Very odd!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

And she's definitely not done a medical as part of a PR app or similar? Very odd!
Nope they are just about to start their application for MPNP very soon.
Must be a mistake.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Well my friend called the immigration help line this morning and was apparently told that the not working with children restriction was not an automatic one after all (and in any case would not apply to her as it was a home childcare environment she has).
Still a mystery as to why it would be on my permit and not hers.
Just one of those mysteries of the internal workings of the CIC lol
Old Oct 1st 2014, 7:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Well my friend called the immigration help line this morning and was apparently told that the not working with children restriction was not an automatic one after all (and in any case would not apply to her as it was a home childcare environment she has).
Still a mystery as to why it would be on my permit and not hers.
Just one of those mysteries of the internal workings of the CIC lol
She is incorrect. The restriction is automatically put on all TWP's regardless unless an up-front medical has been undergone. Even if she is in a home childcare environment, she would be required to have one.
You may have to get a medical exam because of the type of job you want to do in Canada. Examples of such jobs are:

Jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as:
workers in the health sciences field
clinical laboratory workers
patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children
domestics
workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery employees and other similar jobs
Medical exam requirements for temporary residents (visitors, students and workers)
Old Oct 1st 2014, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
She is incorrect. The restriction is automatically put on all TWP's regardless unless an up-front medical has been undergone. Even if she is in a home childcare environment, she would be required to have one.
You may have to get a medical exam because of the type of job you want to do in Canada. Examples of such jobs are:

Jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as:
workers in the health sciences field
clinical laboratory workers
patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children
domestics
workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery employees and other similar jobs
Medical exam requirements for temporary residents (visitors, students and workers)
Thanks Siouxie.
I gave her the link to the guide on CIC and told her it would be a good idea to clear it with them (especially given they are going to apply for PR via PNP soon).
Between the restriction not actually being written on her visa (apparently there is only the one about the sex industry on there) and the CIC saying it was fine, she is confident she is right.

Last edited by AlliF; Oct 1st 2014 at 8:15 am. Reason: typo