Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Life decisions and staying in Canada. Help requested!

Wikiposts

Life decisions and staying in Canada. Help requested!

Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

andre_freedom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life decisions and staying in Canada. Help requested!

Hi gang!

This is my first post on the forum and I've just registered, though I have been frequenting the forums, snooping around for the past few months. I've been slowly gathering information on how I can stay in Canada after my BUNAC visa expires. Now I think all I need is honest advice!

My girlfriend and I have been together for about 2 years. I was on an exchange program from UEA in Norwich and studied at Carleton University in Ottawa for a year where I met my girlfriend. She came home with me for a year, and now we're back in Ottawa on my BUNAC visa.

Needless to say, we want to stay together and continue our lives in Canada. Now, we looked at the Common-Law Marriage option... but the approximate 9 months of waiting without work isn't possible financially. We went to see a free Catholic immigration lawyer, who, after hearing us mull over the details of common-law status over and over again, held up a hand and said, "Hey, why don't you make it easy for yourselves and get married" (Yes, a CATHOLIC immigration lawyer said this ). He also said that we'd be able to apply immediately after the marriage for spousal sponsorship, and during the shorter processing time (I think he said it takes around 6 months) I'd be able to go back to England and work if I felt I had to once my visa runs out before returning once my application was processed.

It's quite a scary decision to make, between getting hitched to stay here (both of us agree that getting married wouldn't be on the agenda had it not become beneficial to my immigration) and going home when my visa's up... cutting all the ties... etc.

Are there any other options available to me? My employment record doesn't lend itself to immigration... I'm about to be employed casually at Scotiabank as a teller, and worked 6 months at a coffeeshop prior to that... no LMO chances there really...

Is marriage and sponsorship my best option? What are your own experiences/opinions on this? If I've missed out any important information please let me know and I'll amend whatever's missing.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Andre.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life decisions and staying in Canada. Help requested!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Seems that there is a reason the immigration lawyer is free - his advice is shocking!

Being married won't make any difference at all to your processing time - it's still spousal sponsorship whether you are married or common-law, so all processed at the same rate. Just being married won't speed it up at all, not sure why he thinks it'll be 6 months versus 9 months.

And the best advice he could have given you would be to apply outland (approx 2-4 months) rather than inland, which takes a year or more.

Also, he hasn't told you that you can get another Bunac/IEC visa now (they've changed the rules). So, if I were you, I'd get another WHV for when yours expires, and apply for common-law spousal sponsorship asap so hopefully you'll have PR by the fall.

HTH, good luck.

Edit: this Wiki link may be useful reading............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 15th 2011 at 8:39 am.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:28 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

OH and I got married to resolve a visa issue. That was 31 years ago. I am not saying it is necessarily right for you, but it isn't necessarily wrong either.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:39 am
Just Joined

andre_freedom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Seems that there is a reason the immigration lawyer is free - his advice is shocking!

Being married won't make any difference at all to your processing time - it's still spousal sponsorship whether you are married or common-law, so all processed at the same rate. Just being married won't speed it up at all, not sure why he thinks it'll be 6 months versus 9 months.

And the best advice he could have given you would be to apply outland (approx 2-4 months) rather than inland, which takes a year or more.

Also, he hasn't told you that you can get another Bunac/IEC visa now (they've changed the rules). So, if I were you, I'd get another WHV for when yours expires, and apply for common-law spousal sponsorship asap so hopefully you'll have PR by the fall.

HTH, good luck.

Edit: this Wiki link may be useful reading............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Another option I looked at was leaving when my visa's up, re-applying through BUNAC and coming back once that all came through... is that what you mean? I wasn't aware I could get one "for when mine expires".

I was under the impression the BUNAC visas are non-extendable and that you're not allowed to get them back-to-back (though I applied for mine in 2009, skipped the 2010 application, and would apply in 2011) I'm sure I read on here that they are non-extendable. Would it be a case of going to the relevant office and applying to be granted another one after mine's finished?

I guess what I'm really asking is, what rules have they changed and when?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andre_freedom
I was under the impression the BUNAC visas are non-extendable and that you're not allowed to get them back-to-back
That's now changed. You can now have two non-student visas back to back, giving two years in one go - hence my suggestion.

Various other things changed for this year's program, including the fact that those with children can now apply, and that you can get them directly from CIC as well as Bunac (it's called IEC). Have a read up here, and you can apply for another one if you are quick (before they run out for 2011). http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...=eng&menu_id=7

Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:58 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to resureect an old thread but have been trawling the IEC threads for the answer to this

does anyone know if someone (within the age boundries) was in Canada on a visitor visa could then apply for the IEC visa from within or does it specifically have to be applied from in the UK?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for the IEC whilst on a visitors visa in Canada.

Poppit
Old Aug 28th 2011, 4:15 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha thanks Poppit - the reason I am laughing is that since posting the question (as on many numerous occasions ) I went and did some more research and had literally just come back to say "don't worry i've found the answer" (funnily enough on the IEC site - who'd have thought )

Thanks for taking the time out to reply though
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:19 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
OH and I got married to resolve a visa issue. That was 31 years ago. I am not saying it is necessarily right for you, but it isn't necessarily wrong either.
You old romantic, you.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:12 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
You old romantic, you.
"Oh well, if nothing else will work I suppose we'd better get married then."

I didn't even have to buy a ring.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:29 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
"Oh well, if nothing else will work I suppose we'd better get married then."

I didn't even have to buy a ring.
Wow! Canadian women must be very tolerant.
Having said that, I did get a ring but it was from a pawn shop in Liverpool!

Originally Posted by andre_freedom
Hi gang!

We went to see a free Catholic immigration lawyer, who, after hearing us mull over the details of common-law status over and over again, held up a hand and said, "Hey, why don't you make it easy for yourselves and get married" (Yes, a CATHOLIC immigration lawyer said this ).

Andre.
I am not sure why you are surprised that a Catholic Immigration lawyer told you this.
Marriage is the "Holy Estate" that you should be living in if are Catholic you want a relationship with a woman that involves sex rather than living in Sin as you are now and any good Catholic would say the same.
It's in the rules, isn't it?

BTW, if he had a black dress on with a white bit at the front, then he wasn't a real Immigration lawyer.
I am only surprised that in addition he didn't tell you that if you stopped using birth control your sponsorship would be processed faster.