A Levels Advice Please

Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

DerbyRam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Levels Advice Please

We are hoping to obtain our PR by next April. My son is currently in education in the UK. Would it be advisable for my son to complete his A levels here before we leave in approximately 4 years, or would it be possible to complete his A levels in a British Educational Establishment in Toronto.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice
Default Re: A Levels Advice Please

Originally Posted by DerbyRam
We are hoping to obtain our PR by next April. My son is currently in education in the UK. Would it be advisable for my son to complete his A levels here before we leave in approximately 4 years, or would it be possible to complete his A levels in a British Educational Establishment in Toronto.

Try posting this query in the Canadian lifestyle section of this forum, and you may get more replies.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving permanently to Canada why do you want him to gain GCSEs? If he did finish them in Canada (if there is such a provision) and does so at 16 years of age. He will still have 2 years of schooling left to do. Or maybe he will be able to do English A levels too.
Surely Canadian qualifications will be more relevant to him in Canada.Or is he coming back to the UK for uni.
Just curious as to your reasons.

Pennyhp
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
If you are moving permanently to Canada why do you want him to gain GCSEs? If he did finish them in Canada (if there is such a provision) and does so at 16 years of age. He will still have 2 years of schooling left to do. Or maybe he will be able to do English A levels too.
Surely Canadian qualifications will be more relevant to him in Canada.Or is he coming back to the UK for uni.
Just curious as to your reasons.

Pennyhp
Sorry forget the bit about GCSE exams didn't read the post properly.

Pennyhp
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:31 am
Just Joined

DerbyRam is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your posts very much appreciated.

The reason why i would like him to have his A levels is that for any reason our emigration to Canada does not work out. I do not want to have jeapordised his future options/education. Obviously I hope every thing works out, but we can never predict the future.

Sorry forget the bit about GCSE exams didn't read the post properly.

Pennyhp
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

The reason why i would like him to have his A levels is that for any reason our emigration to Canada does not work out. I do not want to have jeapordised his future options/education. Obviously I hope every thing works out, but we can never predict the future.

I can understand that.
Do you know how well regarded his english results would be?
Guess I am curious as I have a son at uni here in the UK.
He is coming to the end of his first year. We may leave england by the end of the year and I was wondering how Canadian universities would regard his first year of studues. Whether he could go straight into year 2 of a similar degree there, or if he would have to start again from scratch.

If anyone knows I too would be grateful for info.

Pennyhp
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:17 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I just got an updated assessment of BC Canadian Grade 12 against A levels. I am considering sending my soon-to-be graduating daughter back to the UK so that she can get a decent higher education. According to NARIC, a student in British Columbia who has gained Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma is considered comparable to overall GCE Advanced standard in three subjects if they have at least five Bs awarded in acceptable grade 12 courses. Some UK universities may demand a standard higher than this for entry to a degree programme, especially those in high demand subjects and medicine, where straight A's in all subjects taken is generally required. The reality is that the BC student wanting to do Arts A levels in the UK can forget it, as the Grade 12 standard is too low. Science on the other hand - Chemistry, Maths, Physics etc. are OK. Acceptable Grade 12 courses does not include "socials" as taught here - which is English (in their dreams, you should see the syllabus:scared: ) and History (ha ha) combined, nor does it include some of the less..ahem..academic rubbish the kids do.

The only problem you have got is that while the UK recognises the deficiencies in the average Grade 12 education here, the average academic institution (in BC anyway) remains delusional in its belief that UK A levels are somehow inferior to Grade 12. This means in practice getting the all important credits for A levels can be an uphill battle if your child is intending to go to University here. The Lifestyle forum has archived threads ad nauseam about this issue.

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 31st 2006 at 8:58 pm. Reason: Typo's
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:16 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

He is coming to the end of his first year. We may leave england by the end of the year and I was wondering how Canadian universities would regard his first year of studues. Whether he could go straight into year 2 of a similar degree there, or if he would have to start again from scratch.
It varies from one university to another and from one faculty to another. For example, a given university may recognise first year courses from another university's arts program but not from that other university's engineering program, just to quote a hypothetical example.

When you search a specific university's website, look for "transfer students." Those are the key words.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
It varies from one university to another and from one faculty to another. For example, a given university may recognise first year courses from another university's arts program but not from that other university's engineering program, just to quote a hypothetical example.

When you search a specific university's website, look for "transfer students." Those are the key words.
Thanks Judy and dingbat.
I think that my son will probably finish his degree in the UK, but we will look at the options so hat we have all angles covered.

I will do a search and look up some of those threads.

Pennyhp
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand that.
Do you know how well regarded his english results would be?
You need to talk to the Canadian university in question, to see how much credit they give for overseas study. These things are often done on a case by case basis. However there are two general principles to bear in mind:

- Canada is not very receptive to overseas qualifications (including UK), although it depends on the exact profession
- That said, it's easier to get credit for a *complete* qualification rather than an incomplete one.

Depending on circumstances, it might make sense for your son to finish his degree in the UK, however he would then need to be prepared to "top up" with a Canadian degree, either a masters or a second bachelors degree (for which he would likely get credits).

Or alternatively, switch to a Canadian university but be prepared to lose a year or maybe two.

If he does stay in the UK for a while, he needs to be very aware of the rules for keeping permanent resident status once "landed":
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pr-card/index.html

If he were to lose his PR then he would not necessarily be able to get it back, even if the rest of the family was in Canada by then. Studying outside Canada does not count as an exemption to the 2/5 rule for keeping permanent residence.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to talk to the Canadian university in question, to see how much credit they give for overseas study. These things are often done on a case by case basis. However there are two general principles to bear in mind:

- Canada is not very receptive to overseas qualifications (including UK), although it depends on the exact profession
- That said, it's easier to get credit for a *complete* qualification rather than an incomplete one.

Depending on circumstances, it might make sense for your son to finish his degree in the UK, however he would then need to be prepared to "top up" with a Canadian degree, either a masters or a second bachelors degree (for which he would likely get credits).

Or alternatively, switch to a Canadian university but be prepared to lose a year or maybe two.

If he does stay in the UK for a while, he needs to be very aware of the rules for keeping permanent resident status once "landed":
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pr-card/index.html

If he were to lose his PR then he would not necessarily be able to get it back, even if the rest of the family was in Canada by then. Studying outside Canada does not count as an exemption to the 2/5 rule for keeping permanent residence.
Thanks
it is a bit of a puzzle as to which is best. Finish degree in UK - baring in mind the rules for keeping pr status - or bring credits to Canada and risk being put back a year. Or worse still have to take another degree in Canada to have qualifications recognised.
I think our best course is to contact universities in canada to find out what their particular rules are.
Oh why is nothing staightforward with this immigration lark.

Pennyhp
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
it is a bit of a puzzle as to which is best. Finish degree in UK - baring in mind the rules for keeping pr status - or bring credits to Canada and risk being put back a year. Or worse still have to take another degree in Canada to have qualifications recognised.
I think our best course is to contact universities in canada to find out what their particular rules are.
Oh why is nothing staightforward with this immigration lark.

Pennyhp
As a general rule, if the UK degree is close to completion, it's usually best to finish it and then convert/upgrade/extend in Canada.

If it's the very early stage of a UK degree then transfer might be the best option. But it really depends on circumstances. For example, if it's a UK engineering degree that's recognised by the Engineering Council UK, then it should be acceptable in Canada under the Washington Accord. So you and he should do your research.

Also bear in mind that if he is only "dependent" on the basis of being a full time student, then he may need to keep this status until "landing" so as not to end up being refused inclusion on the family's visa (this is an issue for Australia bound migrants).