British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Level 2 Diploma(NVQ)? Worth points? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/level-2-diploma-nvq-worth-points-906720/)

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 12:42 pm

Level 2 Diploma(NVQ)? Worth points?

Hi all

I have a Level 2 Diploma in Fencing (NVQ)(fence installer) can I get this checked by the Educational Credential Assessment? To see if I can gain extra points, it is a work based qualification where an assessor came out to see me on site?

Thank you in advance

christmasoompa Dec 10th 2017 2:23 pm

Re: Level 2 Diploma(NVQ)? Worth points?

Unlikely, vocational qualifications don't normally count, particularly if it wasn't a full-time course of study.

But you can certainly include it in the ECA app, might as well, you never know!

Aviator Dec 10th 2017 2:23 pm

NVQ are not assessed for equivalency, only academic qualifications.

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 2:25 pm

Ok thanks guys, I have another post on here unanswered, any chance one of you could give it a quick look?

Thanks

christmasoompa Dec 10th 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397230)
Ok thanks guys, I have another post on here unanswered, any chance one of you could give it a quick look?

Thanks

I saw it, but couldn't make head nor tail of the question tbh, as it didn't make sense! Can you rephrase it? Sorry, but I didn't understand what you were asking.

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 2:37 pm

Basically I know I need a positive LMIA before applying for FST but isn’t the LMIA only valid for 6 months? What if I don’t get selected within that time?

christmasoompa Dec 10th 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397245)
Basically I know I need a positive LMIA before applying for FST but isn’t the LMIA only valid for 6 months? What if I don’t get selected within that time?

The LMIA validity is only relevant to a TWP, you'd have 6 months to get your TWP and go out to Canada, which is a separate thing from your PR app.

P.S. It's a job offer OR provincial certification for FST btw, so a LMIA isn't necessarily needed for an EE app - you might want to do provincial certification instead (particularly as you may need it to get a job offer anyway)

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 3:27 pm

Ok Thank you Christmas,what is TWP? And I don’t think I’m eligible for the provincial certification, is it the same as a certificate of qualification?

Former Lancastrian Dec 10th 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397282)
Ok Thank you Christmas,what is TWP? And I don’t think I’m eligible for the provincial certification, is it the same as a certificate of qualification?

Temporary Work Permit. ECAS or WES decide if NVQ's are acceptable. Some are some aren't. A Provincial Certificate is a qualification issued by the Provinces which is essentially a qualification earned within that Province and usually transferrable between other Provinces.
Think of it this way an electrician in the UK isn't automatically qualified to work in Canada as each country has different standards hence some challenge that requirement by showing they usually have over 9000 hours in that trade.

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12397302)
Temporary Work Permit. ECAS or WES decide if NVQ's are acceptable. Some are some aren't. A Provincial Certificate is a qualification issued by the Provinces which is essentially a qualification earned within that Province and usually transferrable between other Provinces.
Think of it this way an electrician in the UK isn't automatically qualified to work in Canada as each country has different standards hence some challenge that requirement by showing they usually have over 9000 hours in that trade.

Thanks lancastrain,

Would I need a Provincial Certificate as a fence installer or could I get one/do I need one?

As it stands I’m hoping to have a positive LMIA with around 275 points, should this be enough for FST? Also do I apply directly for a FST or do I have to go through express Entry?

I appreciate your help

Former Lancastrian Dec 10th 2017 5:22 pm

Fence installers have NOC code 7441 and are not part of the FST
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

So I don't know where you got the info from.

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 5:31 pm

I was using 7205, fence contractor? As I’m a supervisor?

Former Lancastrian Dec 10th 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397325)
I was using 7205, fence contractor? As I’m a supervisor?

They qualify but you must read the link about how to qualify under EE as in this link

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12397329)
They qualify but you must read the link about how to qualify under EE as in this link

I think I fit into that category, I have emailed the people who work at NOC but they said they do not give advice, you have to apply and see what happens,

I has worried me that I won’t qualify, but I don’t know how to tell 100%

Aviator Dec 10th 2017 6:34 pm

Fencing is not part of the provincial or inter-provincial certification. 7205 seems a bit of a catch all, don't know where else to put it category. These seem to be trades that don't require certification.

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 6:49 pm

So do you think I might be eligible under that category? Iv told the employer I will pay for the LMIA, so don’t want to waste my money unnecessarily

Thanks

christmasoompa Dec 10th 2017 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397333)
I think I fit into that category, I have emailed the people who work at NOC but they said they do not give advice, you have to apply and see what happens,

I has worried me that I won’t qualify, but I don’t know how to tell 100%

Do you do at least 50% of the duties listed under that NOC code as part of your daily job? And the criteria in the opening paragraph under the NOC code? That's what you'll have to prove to qualify under that particular NOC code. If you do, then you should be fine to claim that NOC code.

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 6:58 pm

Yes more than 50%, I wasn’t sure if you had to own your own fencing company as it say ‘fence contractor?
Some of the others trades have for example brick laying contractor and brick laying supervisor.?
Fencing only has the one?

christmasoompa Dec 10th 2017 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397361)
So do you think I might be eligible under that category? Iv told the employer I will pay for the LMIA, so don’t want to waste my money unnecessarily

Thanks

You can't pay for the LMIA, the employer has to (as well as the associated costs, i.e. advertising and your return airfare if needed).

christmasoompa Dec 10th 2017 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397365)
Yes more than 50%, I wasn’t sure if you had to own your own fencing company as it say ‘fence contractor?
Some of the others trades have for example brick laying contractor and brick laying supervisor.?
Fencing only has the one?

It doesn't, there are two options - NOC 7205 and NOC 7441, depending on if you're a supervisor or not.

So do look at both to see which fits best.

HTH.

TerryLambe Dec 10th 2017 9:41 pm

I have been a supervisor for the last 3 years, been fencing for 13 years, do most of the listed activity’s in 7205, I’m sure I fit this noc unless I have to own my own company?

christmasoompa Dec 12th 2017 9:35 am

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12397417)
I have been a supervisor for the last 3 years, been fencing for 13 years, do most of the listed activity’s in 7205, I’m sure I fit this noc unless I have to own my own company?

No, you don't - as per the NOC description.

TerryLambe Dec 12th 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12398285)
No, you don't - as per the NOC description.

Ok thank you Christmas, I will apply then and see what happens 👍🏻👍🏻

christmasoompa Dec 12th 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12398298)
Ok thank you Christmas, I will apply then and see what happens 👍🏻👍🏻

Apply for?? You can't apply for PR yet - as stated above, you need either a job offer/LMIA, or provincial certification first. So one step at a time!

HTH.

TerryLambe Dec 12th 2017 2:24 pm

Yes, the employer is starting the LMIA so if I get that I will apply for express Entry under 7205 👍🏻👍🏻

christmasoompa Dec 12th 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12398431)
Yes, the employer is starting the LMIA so if I get that I will apply for express Entry under 7205 � ����� ����� ����� ����

Perfect! Don't forget to get your IELTS and ECA sorted too if you haven't already, you can get those done whilst you're waiting for the LMIA so you're ready to apply as soon as you have it.

And I'm assuming you've told the employer they have to pay for the LMIA after all, but do make sure they do - it's illegal for them to try and get the money from you, so you don't want to risk it being rejected for that reason.

Best of luck.

TerryLambe Dec 12th 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12398482)
Perfect! Don't forget to get your IELTS and ECA sorted too if you haven't already, you can get those done whilst you're waiting for the LMIA so you're ready to apply as soon as you have it.

And I'm assuming you've told the employer they have to pay for the LMIA after all, but do make sure they do - it's illegal for them to try and get the money from you, so you don't want to risk it being rejected for that reason.

Best of luck.

I done the CELPIP language test whist I was in Toronto in June, what is a ECA?
I’m speaking to the employer tonight, I offered to pay for the LMIA as I originally approached him about the job but I’m sure it won’t be a problem him paying

I really appreciate your help and I’m sure there will be more questions I need answering as some point.
Thank you

christmasoompa Dec 12th 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12398503)
I done the CELPIP language test whist I was in Toronto in June, what is a ECA?

ECA - Education Credential Assessment. It's not mandatory for FST apps, but you won't get any points for education without it, and as your points are fairly low you should definitely get it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-assessed.html

HTH.

TerryLambe Dec 12th 2017 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12398506)
ECA - Education Credential Assessment. It's not mandatory for FST apps, but you won't get any points for education without it, and as your points are fairly low you should definitely get it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-assessed.html

HTH.

I have looked into the ECA but have found it very confusing, I don’t think my education would be worth anything? I would like extra point,
Someone told me on here 277 points will be fine??

christmasoompa Dec 12th 2017 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12398513)
I have looked into the ECA but have found it very confusing, I don’t think my education would be worth anything? I would like extra point,
Someone told me on here 277 points will be fine??

277 points should be ok (have you checked the CIC website to see the points levels of all previous FST draws?), but why not maximise your points to give yourself the best chance? Remember that your points will drop with age, so if you don't get selected before your next birthday you'll lose more points, might be worth getting the ECA so that you have more points as a buffer?

Even just secondary education for both you and your wife would be worth about 30 points iirc, so worth doing IMO.

TerryLambe Dec 13th 2017 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12398545)
277 points should be ok (have you checked the CIC website to see the points levels of all previous FST draws?), but why not maximise your points to give yourself the best chance? Remember that your points will drop with age, so if you don't get selected before your next birthday you'll lose more points, might be worth getting the ECA so that you have more points as a buffer?

Even just secondary education for both you and your wife would be worth about 30 points iirc, so worth doing IMO.

I didn’t sit all of my exams, so will it still be worth it, will I definitely get 30 points?

TerryLambe Dec 13th 2017 4:30 pm

Also when I search for the LMIA application all I find is one for temporary workers. Is that the corrrect one for me??

Thank you

Aviator Dec 13th 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12399161)
Also when I search for the LMIA application all I find is one for temporary workers. Is that the corrrect one for me??

Thank you

There is only one LMIA application. The purpose of the application is not the entry permit the individual is seeking, CIC have nothing to do with it. It processed by ESDC to determine whether the employer has a justifiable reason to hire a foreign worker. They will then either approve it or deny it if the correct procedures have not been followed, they determine there are sufficient Canadians able to do the job.

christmasoompa Dec 13th 2017 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12399140)
I didn’t sit all of my exams, so will it still be worth it, will I definitely get 30 points?

I've no idea, if you completed secondary education, and your wife did, then yes, it'll be 30 points. More if she has post-secondary education. The cost of the ECA's are a drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of emigration, so personally I'd apply to have those extra points, but your call.

Originally Posted by TerryLambe (Post 12399161)

Thank you

Yes, you will be a temp worker, moving over on a Temporary Work Permit. PR will come later down the line.