Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Letters of Reference as Temp/Contractor

Letters of Reference as Temp/Contractor

Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

jaymistrymba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Letters of Reference as Temp/Contractor

Hello all,

Some of my work experience has been through agencies on a contract / temporary basis. I have contacted my past employers for Letters of Reference for my application who emailed me back saying that as I was not a permanent employee of the company they cannot provide me with a written reference and that I should contact my agency. I have been having problems in obtaining references from agencies as they are always busy and I guess it is not how they make their money. I read in the Application Guidelines that I can as a substitute submit tax receipts or Employment Contracts - would this be sufficient as proof of me working at the company on the Work Experience part of application?? I could also put in a printout of the emailed responses from my previous Managers informing me to contact my agencies as they have stated I was a temp. in the email. Would this all be sufficient?

Any answers to this would be greatly appreciated along with anyone who has also worked on a temporary/contract basis prior to submitting their application.

Jay
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

ABL25 will become famous soon enoughABL25 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Letters of Reference as Temp/Contractor

Originally Posted by jaymistrymba
Hello all,

Some of my work experience has been through agencies on a contract / temporary basis. I have contacted my past employers for Letters of Reference for my application who emailed me back saying that as I was not a permanent employee of the company they cannot provide me with a written reference and that I should contact my agency. I have been having problems in obtaining references from agencies as they are always busy and I guess it is not how they make their money. I read in the Application Guidelines that I can as a substitute submit tax receipts or Employment Contracts - would this be sufficient as proof of me working at the company on the Work Experience part of application?? I could also put in a printout of the emailed responses from my previous Managers informing me to contact my agencies as they have stated I was a temp. in the email. Would this all be sufficient?

Any answers to this would be greatly appreciated along with anyone who has also worked on a temporary/contract basis prior to submitting their application.

Jay
Hi Jay,
I have had a similar problem. I suggest that anything that you can send with your application to prove employment is a good idea.

Payslips with copies of bank statements highlighting the payment into you account.
Copies of employment contracts.
I drafted a letter to the manager who hired me (through the agency) asking him to countersign it to confirm that he hired me for this position. (no need to get the HR department in the hiring company involved)

I asked this question to the visa officers at the Emigrate show at Sandown back in Feb/March this year. They said that they understand that it is difficult to get ALL the required documentation and are human too, so can make allowances. Just do your best to get as much documentation to help them make the right decision.

Hope this helps
Alex
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

jaymistrymba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Letters of Reference as Temp/Contractor

Thanks for your reply and suggestions Alex -some good ideas there. I think the best thing to do is to send as much relevant info/documentation you have about your employment to beef up the application so that way the immigration officer assessing your application can see that you have worked where you say you have and eliminate any doubt or questions they may have. I would say it is a good idea to put yourself in their shoes and determine what you send is sufficient.

Best regards,

Jay

Originally Posted by ABL25
Hi Jay,
I have had a similar problem. I suggest that anything that you can send with your application to prove employment is a good idea.

Payslips with copies of bank statements highlighting the payment into you account.
Copies of employment contracts.
I drafted a letter to the manager who hired me (through the agency) asking him to countersign it to confirm that he hired me for this position. (no need to get the HR department in the hiring company involved)

I asked this question to the visa officers at the Emigrate show at Sandown back in Feb/March this year. They said that they understand that it is difficult to get ALL the required documentation and are human too, so can make allowances. Just do your best to get as much documentation to help them make the right decision.

Hope this helps
Alex