Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Letter of permission from absent parent

Wikiposts

Letter of permission from absent parent

Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letter of permission from absent parent

Originally Posted by Madwife
Just to add to the mix. I was delayed at Vancouver airport, for an hour or so, in 2005 with my children as I did not have a letter of consent. They were not worried about my then 16 yr old girl as she had the same surname as me. My 2 sons aged 11 and 5 did not have my surname and were questioned by immigration officers with me present but not allowed to speak to them.

I did have permission and was on good terms with their father and he was coming out to join us for 5 days in the middle of our trip. He also wanted to see Canada before giving permission for his sons to go there and live! The fact that I gave them the flight number etc of when he was arriving etc seemed to satisfy them. They tried ringing him also, but he did not answer. I could have given them any number though!!!

Last April I travelled again with my youngest son and a letter signed by his Dad and a notary (costing me £25) and they didn't even ask for it!!!

Interestingly enough my elder daughter has no contact with her father and we wouldn't know how to contact him!!! But they were not worried because she had the same surname as me. Work that one out!!

Sarah x
The fact she was age 16 may have had something to do with it as well.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melsa
I've found some really useful information with regards a letter of consent from the absent parent. The requirements of the Canadian Government for children travelling with alone or with one parent/guardian can be found on: www.voyage.gc.ca/publications/pdf and http://www.voyage.gc.ca/faq/children...yage-eng.asp#1.

It even includes a sample consent letter which can be downloaded. I would get a solicitor to draft and notarize the letter which can be signed by both parents. Hope this helps all applicants in this situation like myself.
This is well meaning but does not necessarily help those in a situation where the other parent, generally unmarried fathers, does not have any parental rights to begin with (and may even have disappeared).
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is well meaning but does not necessarily help those in a situation where the other parent, generally unmarried fathers, does not have any parental rights to begin with (and may even have disappeared).

This is very true, I would have been in a right pickle in YVR if they had been suspicious about my elder daughter. May be take a print out of the guidance of who legaly gets Parental Responsibility and the Birth Certificate if there is no father on there. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/...ch&CRE=Parents

Sarah x

Last edited by Madwife; Feb 6th 2010 at 4:26 am. Reason: added link
Old Jul 5th 2010, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Larazim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All.

I am looking at moving to canada to be with my new husband. I have three children with my ex-husband and he is currently living in New Zealand.
He has told me to compose a letter for him to sign allowing me to take the children with me.

I don't know what I need to put in this letter.

Please Help

Thanks

Lara
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Larazim
Hi All.

I am looking at moving to canada to be with my new husband. I have three children with my ex-husband and he is currently living in New Zealand.
He has told me to compose a letter for him to sign allowing me to take the children with me.

I don't know what I need to put in this letter.

Please Help

Thanks

Lara

This is what I used that is a rehash of another one on here somewhere.

Date: ??? 2010

To whom it may concern

I, the undersigned (name of father and dob).

Authorize my sons (names of children and dob's),
to immigrate to Canada with their mother (name of mother).

I understand and accept that this does not oblige the Government of Canada to grant me admission to Canada in the future, unless I satisfy all the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and regulations in effect at that time.

If you require any further information please contact me at the above address or email me at : ???????????

Declared at

On:

Signature: Name:

Witness signature: Name and Position:

It should be notarized by an appropriate person. Just for info, I didnt need it for PR but they asked for it for TWP. Funny that eh?!!

Good luck
Sarah x
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Letter of permission from absent parent

Hi Sarah

Thank you so much that looks really good. does he need to get it stamp by a commissioner of oaths ????

thanks
Lara

This is what I used that is a rehash of another one on here somewhere.

Date: ??? 2010

To whom it may concern

I, the undersigned (name of father and dob).

Authorize my sons (names of children and dob's),
to immigrate to Canada with their mother (name of mother).

I understand and accept that this does not oblige the Government of Canada to grant me admission to Canada in the future, unless I satisfy all the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and regulations in effect at that time.

If you require any further information please contact me at the above address or email me at : ???????????

Declared at

On:

Signature: Name:

Witness signature: Name and Position:

It should be notarized by an appropriate person. Just for info, I didnt need it for PR but they asked for it for TWP. Funny that eh?!!

Good luck
Sarah x
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Larazim
Hi Sarah

Thank you so much that looks really good. does he need to get it stamp by a commissioner of oaths ????

thanks
Lara
Yes that is what I meant, best look up and see what is acceptable from NZ, by the CIC.

Sarah x
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Letter of permission from absent parent

Hi Sarah

Thank you so much

Lara

Yes that is what I meant, best look up and see what is acceptable from NZ, by the CIC.

Sarah x
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

My story

I arrived in Vancouver with my 15 year old son. We did not have permission from his father, neither did I have official sole custody of my son. My ex was a drug addict and would either show up at court completely out of his mind or not show at all, so no legal papers were ever issued.

At YVR, we were asked if my son had permission to enter Canada. Before I could reply my son said, " nope.....but my father is a speed head and wouldn't understand the question if you asked him"

Immigration smiled and let us through. Whilst we were in Canada I had to re new my sons passport. Again, a request from the British Embassy at Ottawa for my sons fathers permission. Again, I sent a letter stated the above reasons and we received the passport in 5 days.

Both my son and I have traveled to Canada from the UK over the past 4 years a total of 7 times. Each time we were asked about his father, each time we responded with the truth and we have never been not admitted.

We also knew though, that to gain PR status in Canada, the rules would be harder and we would need official documents. His father overdosed and died in March 2009, so we were able to start our PR application with a death certificate which smoothed the PR process a lot.

Conclusion, traveling is not so much a problem, PR is a big problem, if you intend to come to Canada and apply for PR, get the official documents.

Hope this post makes sense
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:59 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

There doesnt seem to be any consistencey with immigration and children coming into Canada without their father.

Last year my daughter bought my grandson over while his dad stayed home, she was asked for a letter, which she didnt have, the IO told her in future she should bring one with her. He spoke to my grandson who was 5 at the time, asked him a couple of questions and declared that the child seemed happy so he let them in.

I have just come back from the UK with my other daughter and 2 granddaughters, my SIL got a letter certified by a solicitor to say that he gave permission for the children to come to Canada for a holiday ect, ect. The IO asked where their father was but didnt ask for a letter.

Seems to me it all depends on the mood of the IO but I would always have a letter just in case.