Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Letter of permission from absent parent

Wikiposts

Letter of permission from absent parent

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letter of permission from absent parent

Originally Posted by ann m
Mmmm - our whole family are off to the UK next week - but I am travelling home a day earlier with the girls and hubby will follow 24 hours later.

Now wondering if I ought to carry a letter with me - even though we are returning to our home in Canada

Better to draft one out now methinks.
If you want it notarized you know where I am
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you want it notarized you know where I am
Thank you sir!

(Seriously though, do you think that would be sensible?)

Edit: I would pay you with wine, but you make it better than I can buy - hee hee
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Melsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Letter of permission from absent parent

Originally Posted by DottyP
Hi all

Have been reading past posts about absent parents and their consent needed for immigration. My query is that I am going to BC next year for a quick visit (week only), and will be taking all 3 of my children, the older two pose no problem (20 & 22), the younger one will be 15, Do you think that I will need a letter of consent from his dad for this holiday. My children have no contact with him (their dads decision), but he does pay support through CSA. Another issue is that I co-habited and never married and that they have their dads surname not mine.

Would that raise even more questions?

Any help or guidance would be be gratefully received

thanks

Dotty
Hi i've visited Canada twice as a single parent taking my daughters with me. The first time I went I was grilled by the immigration officer as to why I was travelling alone without the children's father. I explained it was for a holiday and that I had his permission although I didn't have a letter of consent. I showed him my return tickets and I gave their fathers's name and address so they could contact him if they wished and they were satifisfied with this.

The 2nd time I went to Canada I travelled with my new partner and my children and the immigration officer never even questioned anything. My advice would be to get a letter of consent off the father as it is better to be safe than sorry. My ex has now signed a letter of consent to allow the children to emigrate to Canada with me and my partner. Good luck.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Thank you sir!

(Seriously though, do you think that would be sensible?)

Edit: I would pay you with wine, but you make it better than I can buy - hee hee
Thanks

I would obtain one - better to be safe than sorry and, as others have stated, it is a requirement that can be legally enforced if you come up against a snarky official.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This is wrong. If the OP lives in England or Wales she already has the legal authority required to remove her children from the jurisdiction. Judges do not write letters they issue Court Orders. As no Court Order is required the judge will do nothing.

To the OP, at the time your children were born unmarried mothers were the only biological parent to be granted parental resonsibility automatically. As you never married the father, the only way he could achieve parental responsibility was by the Court granting him it. He would not have been able to do so without you knowing about it so, if he did not make such an application to the Court, you can rest assured that he doesn't have it. This being the case, you don't need his permission to remove the children from England or Wales according to the law of England and Wales. However, Canada officials appear to be anal with their requests for such letters (as the law over here requires one to take a child out of a Province let alone the country. So expect to be grilled when you arrive here. I would explain to them that such a letter is not required in England (explaining that the officials in England obviously allowed you to leave the country) and that you are totally surprised by the request but will note it for future reference.

Failing that, you will little alternative but to obtain such a letter from your ex - I would not recommend that you attempt this though.

Best of luck
I meant an order.

david hodson international lawyers

Unmarried parents and father without parental responsibility

If the mother alone has parental responsibility and there are no residence orders concerning the child,
permission is not strictly needed by her to take a child abroad on holiday or other temporary period.

However yet again it is responsible parenting to consult and reach agreement with the other parent and
to keep the other parent informed of the child’s whereabouts whilst abroad. A father without parental
responsibility can apply for parental responsibility and so may then object to the temporary removal as a s8 prohibited steps order

Good Practice aspects

It may be good practice to include in a temporary removal order (i.e. permission for a holiday abroad) a
declaration that the child’s habitual residence is in England. Alternatively, where previously no residence
order had been needed on the basis of the no order principle, it may now be good practice to obtain
one.

If the other (non primary residence) parent unreasonably refuses permission for a holiday abroad and
a court application is needed and then successfully obtained, it would be then wise also to seek a
residence order to avoid these difficulties occurring in the future.
~~~~

Additionally, since December 2003 if both parents were present at the birth registration the father gains automatic parental responsibility.

http://www.officialsolicitor.gov.uk/os/icacu_law.htm

When the father is not married to the mother, he does not have parental responsibility simply by being the father, but he may acquire it either by court order or by formal agreement with the mother (parental responsibility agreement). Since 1 December 2003 if both parents are present when the birth of the child is registered, an unmarried father will automatically acquire parental responsibility for his child. See the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953 and Statutory Instrument 2003 No.3079(C.117) Children and Young Persons in England and Wales which, under paragraph 2(2) brings into force section 141 of the Adoption of Children Act 2002

Under the Child Abduction Act of 1984, it is a criminal offence in England and Wales for any person connected with a child, to take or send the child out of the United Kingdom without the consent of any other person who has parental responsibility for the child. A parent who has the right to have contact with or access to a child will usually also have parental responsibility. The term 'connected with a child' is defined in Section 2 of the Child Abduction Act 1984 and includes the parents or guardians of a child and anyone who has parental responsibility for the child.

No offence is committed, however, where a child is the subject of a custody/residence order, if the court which made the order has consented to the child being removed from the country
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really nice

Originally Posted by DottyP
Again many thanks for all your posts and your replies.

I do have sole parental responsibility and he has not applied to court for it.

I think you hit the nail on the head Almost Canadian, but it does seem that I will need his permission when we immigrate. Will talk to solicitor to see if I can apply to the court and get consent that way. As I will be making more than one trip to Canada, might as well get it done so it is in place for when we apply for our visa's, which is a while away yet. (seems logical?)

Thanks again

Dotty

You may or may not need his consent for immigration purposes.

I was not married to my children's father and had been apart for several years when I went through the immigration process last year. I had my solicitor draw up an affidavit stating that according to Family Law in Ireland I had sole parental responsibility for the children and despite financial arrangements being in place for the children, their father did not intend to pursue an application for parental responsibility then or in the future, and that there was no such application before the Courts at that time.

I brought that document with me when we arrived at Halifax Airport - wasn't asked to show it or explain anything about the children. I then submitted it for our PR application along with a letter the solicitor drew up explaining Irish family law and how it applied to my situation - that was accepted by CIC.

Now I know that Family Law is slightly different in Ireland than in the UK but the principle should still be the same. If you are the parent with sole legal and parental responsibility for your children, their father does not have parental responsibility and is not proceeding with an application for same, then I think a sworn affidavit and perhaps a letter explaining your situation and how the law relates to that from your solicitor would suffice.

Best of luck
Lisa
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by siouxie
I meant an order.

david hodson international lawyers

Unmarried parents and father without parental responsibility

If the mother alone has parental responsibility and there are no residence orders concerning the child,
permission is not strictly needed by her to take a child abroad on holiday or other temporary period.

However yet again it is responsible parenting to consult and reach agreement with the other parent and
to keep the other parent informed of the child’s whereabouts whilst abroad. A father without parental
responsibility can apply for parental responsibility and so may then object to the temporary removal as a s8 prohibited steps order

Good Practice aspects

It may be good practice to include in a temporary removal order (i.e. permission for a holiday abroad) a
declaration that the child’s habitual residence is in England. Alternatively, where previously no residence
order had been needed on the basis of the no order principle, it may now be good practice to obtain
one.

If the other (non primary residence) parent unreasonably refuses permission for a holiday abroad and
a court application is needed and then successfully obtained, it would be then wise also to seek a
residence order to avoid these difficulties occurring in the future.
~~~~

Additionally, since December 2003 if both parents were present at the birth registration the father gains automatic parental responsibility.

http://www.officialsolicitor.gov.uk/os/icacu_law.htm

When the father is not married to the mother, he does not have parental responsibility simply by being the father, but he may acquire it either by court order or by formal agreement with the mother (parental responsibility agreement). Since 1 December 2003 if both parents are present when the birth of the child is registered, an unmarried father will automatically acquire parental responsibility for his child. See the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953 and Statutory Instrument 2003 No.3079(C.117) Children and Young Persons in England and Wales which, under paragraph 2(2) brings into force section 141 of the Adoption of Children Act 2002

Under the Child Abduction Act of 1984, it is a criminal offence in England and Wales for any person connected with a child, to take or send the child out of the United Kingdom without the consent of any other person who has parental responsibility for the child. A parent who has the right to have contact with or access to a child will usually also have parental responsibility. The term 'connected with a child' is defined in Section 2 of the Child Abduction Act 1984 and includes the parents or guardians of a child and anyone who has parental responsibility for the child.

No offence is committed, however, where a child is the subject of a custody/residence order, if the court which made the order has consented to the child being removed from the country
I didn't know what you meant, I replied to what you wrote.

Thank you for that, I note none of it contradicts what I stated above. As an ex-English solicitor I am aware of the law of England and Wales, although I appreciate that it may have changed since I left in January 2007
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

DottyP is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Lisa

There may be hope for me yet!

I really don't want to be contacting their dad, knowing full well he will try to make it as difficult as possible. Off to see sol on Monday, to try and sort it. Feel much calmer about it now

Thanks again

dotty
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really niceLisa and Steve is just really nice

Sent you a PM Dotty
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

They maybe anal about it, but it is the law of the land.

I think many of us would be curious to know which particular statute section gives "the law of the land", especially as regards immigration and travel.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think many of us would be curious to know which particular statute section gives "the law of the land", especially as regards immigration and travel.
Not in the least bit interested. Either way, whether it is or is not legally enforceable, who wants to stand and argue with an immigration official when all they need is a letter of permission.

We've been asked and it is certainly a lot easier to just show a letter. What did cause confusion is when the family went through one immigration channel and I went through another.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not in the least bit interested. Either way, whether it is or is not legally enforceable, who wants to stand and argue with an immigration official when all they need is a letter of permission.

It is actually pointed out in the CIC operating manual that under the IRPA they have to admit anyone (child or adult) who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. The most they can do, where the family are Canadian citizens/PR, is contact provincial law enforcement if they feel that something is amiss.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Lorna999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa
We went through a similar thing.... My ex husband has been absent for 10 years with no contact or maintenance payments etc. We tried everything to avoid contacting him, but unfortunately there was no way round it. Good advice from almost canadian as he has experience of these things.... hope it all works out for you and good luck
Lorna
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is actually pointed out in the CIC operating manual that under the IRPA they have to admit anyone (child or adult) who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. The most they can do, where the family are Canadian citizens/PR, is contact provincial law enforcement if they feel that something is amiss.
Why go to all the bother when a letter will save you the hassle Who wants to wait around for law enforcement, answer questions, possibly get hauled off if they are suspicious to answer some more questions. All this after a 9/10 hour flight (it would have been 14 hours for me) to try and make a point that a simple letter will solve. I have never met or heard about anyone who has a problem with measures that try and reduce child abduction, other than you that is.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I have never met or heard about anyone who has a problem with measures that try and reduce child abduction, other than you that is.
And a letter prevents that how? Faking such a letter is not difficult at all. Such a letter is not a requirement throughout much of Europe. I don't see child abduction being a bigger issue in Europe than it is in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.