Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Letter of Consent OR Court Papers????

Wikiposts

Letter of Consent OR Court Papers????

Old May 15th 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough
Default Letter of Consent OR Court Papers????

I was lead to believe a signed letter of consent from the absent parent was enough for CIC to process the PR, or am I wrong??

We have a letter of consent from my ex, which we used for our SNIP with no issues, submitted to Ottawa, seemingly with no issues but now, 6 months after submitting it they are asking for Court Papers.

This comes after we received an email from Ottawa in February stating that our file had been processed and sent on to Buffalo for "Issuance" which it stated would be in 4-8 weeks.

12 weeks later and now Ottawa are saying that they havent forward it to Buffalo after all and they are waiting for court papers.

I dont understand why I need court papers when I have a letter of consent from the absent parent.

Please can anyone shed any light on what exactly it is they are asking for???

Thank you
Old May 15th 2012, 3:43 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Letter of Consent OR Court Papers????

We had a letter of Consent from my ex for my eldest daughter, but she has turned 18 (2 months after meds) and before file went back to Buffalo from Ottawa. Obviously not applicable now as she has turned 18. However our lawyer said that the letter of Consent was sufficient, plus Decree Absolute etc when our application went in. There were never any "court papers" re custody as it was never an issue.

I am sure someone will come along soon who is in a better position to advise you. But just wanted to say really sorry they have mucked you about
Old May 16th 2012, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

Thanks Snowcandy

SNIP excepted the letter without issues and so did Ottawa initially back in November, they didn't say anything - its just weird that now all of a sudden 6 months later they need more??

I really don't get it.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:15 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
Thanks Snowcandy

SNIP excepted the letter without issues and so did Ottawa initially back in November, they didn't say anything - its just weird that now all of a sudden 6 months later they need more??

I really don't get it.
Have they said exactly what they need and more to the point do you have or can hold of it easily? They just seem to be a law unto themselves and no consistency whatsoever
Old May 16th 2012, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

I spoke to them on the phone and I need another letter this time with more information on it, like the ex's DOB, relationship to the kids and me, once again stating he is happy for them to live in Canada and confirming that there was never any court custody agreements.

They would prefer it to be on Lawyer's headed paper and of course notarized.

I wish I knew that they wanted exact wording previously, I could of got this before I left the country - will be a pain to get it from here.

One good thing though is that she said, once I have that we will be approved for PR!
Old May 16th 2012, 7:12 am
Don't call me MOM!!

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
I spoke to them on the phone and I need another letter this time with more information on it, like the ex's DOB, relationship to the kids and me, once again stating he is happy for them to live in Canada and confirming that there was never any court custody agreements.

They would prefer it to be on Lawyer's headed paper and of course notarized.

I wish I knew that they wanted exact wording previously, I could of got this before I left the country - will be a pain to get it from here.

One good thing though is that she said, once I have that we will be approved for PR!
Hope it goes smoothly from now...good news
Old May 16th 2012, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Requiring it to be notarized will, likely, be spendy.

Most solicitors in England and Wales are not notary publics so you will have to seek one of those out. They, usually, inflate their fees accordingly as there are so few of them about.

Best of luck
Old May 16th 2012, 9:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK: http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/find-a-notary

There is a standard letter template that can be used - you can find it (courtesy of Almost Canadian) here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=consent