Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

?length of stay whilst waiting for sponsorship

?length of stay whilst waiting for sponsorship

Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

janham is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ?length of stay whilst waiting for sponsorship

Hi

My husband has dual citizenship and we plan to go over to Canada asap. I would be sponsored but am worried about how long I (who have a UK passport only) would be able to stay, we think it is 6 month's? but can we come out for a couple of weeks and then go back for another 6 month's whilst the sponsorship is being sorted out

Thanks Jan & Jeff
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:54 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ?length of stay whilst waiting for sponsorship

Originally Posted by janham
Hi

My husband has dual citizenship and we plan to go over to Canada asap. I would be sponsored but am worried about how long I (who have a UK passport only) would be able to stay, we think it is 6 month's? but can we come out for a couple of weeks and then go back for another 6 month's whilst the sponsorship is being sorted out

Thanks Jan & Jeff
Put the application in as soon as possible, before you leave. Make sure to do it outland via London and you should be fine in that it'll be done before your 6 months is up (depending how soon you apply before departing).

Not sure you can simply leave and return as you mention above though.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:59 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by el_richo
Put the application in as soon as possible, before you leave. Make sure to do it outland via London and you should be fine in that it'll be done before your 6 months is up (depending how soon you apply before departing).

The OP just applies for an extension to Vegreville of his/her visitor status at the end of the 6 months.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Post Re: ?length of stay whilst waiting for sponsorship

Originally Posted by el_richo

Thanks for that, we were under the impression that my husand had to have a job in Canada for the sponsorship, is that not right then do you know

Janette
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The OP just applies for an extension to Vegreville of his/her visitor status at the end of the 6 months.
Thanks for this advice, is Vegreville a main office or something then?

Janette
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

According to that link recently posted, you can stay without status so long as there's a valid sponship application being considered.

Unless it's changed, "marrieds" don't need specific income considerations for sponsorship. So the job isn't essential.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:25 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BristolUK
According to that link recently posted, you can stay without status so long as there's a valid sponship application being considered.

Unless it's changed, "marrieds" don't need specific income considerations for sponsorship. So the job isn't essential.
No that is not correct. The OP is applying as an out of Canada spousal application s/he has to keep his/her status valid.

Note (probably won't happen in this case) but spousal applications have been refused where the sponsor has limited income and the applicant has no marketable skills or language ability.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
No that is not correct. The OP is applying as an out of Canada spousal application s/he has to keep his/her status valid.
The OP was asking how long she could stay.

If the rules allow her to stay so long as there is a valid sponsorship application then an out of Canada application need not be the only option.

Out of Canada is quicker, but then some couples prefer to be together in Canada while waiting, even if it takes longer.

Been there, seen it, done it.

Note (probably won't happen in this case) but spousal applications have been refused where the sponsor has limited income and the applicant has no marketable skills or language ability.
Perhaps. But unless it's changed recently I believe they don't actually look at income for "marrieds" do they?

My wife (sponsor) had no job nor income when sponsoring me and I had no skills nor income either.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 7th 2011 at 6:47 am.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, I think we will start the ball rolling before we come over and hope for the best

Jan & Jeff
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The OP was asking how long she could stay.

If the rules allow her to stay so long as there is a valid sponsorship application then an out of Canada application need not be the only option.

Out of Canada is quicker, but then some couples prefer to be together in Canada while waiting, even if it takes longer.

Been there, seen it, done it.

Perhaps. But unless it's changed recently I believe they don't actually look at income for "marrieds" do they?

My wife (sponsor) had no job nor income when sponsoring me and I had no skills nor income either.
the initial stay granted when they enter canada will almost certainly be 6 months. You can apply to extend this for another 6 months without leaving. You just send an application for an extension to vegreville.

Outland sponsorship (which you can use even if living in canada) is fast and should be done within 6 months.

No job or minimum level of income is required for sponsorship
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:14 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by chanceUK
the initial stay granted when they enter canada will almost certainly be 6 months. You can apply to extend this for another 6 months without leaving. You just send an application for an extension to vegreville.
Yep. Did that.

Outland sponsorship (which you can use even if living in canada) is fast and should be done within 6 months.
Emphasis on the should be.

Unfortunately, in our case, CIC messed up and eventually apologised for the error, telling us what they should have done. Bizarrely, they didn't take the necessary corrective action and a new application was eventually made, without renewing visa. This was quicker (and less stressful) than fighting it for a few years.

Our complaint to the immigration minister, with the proof of error & apology, was simply passed on to CIC and they "cleared" the matter with a form letter advising their normal procedure. Sometimes you have to take it on the chin.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:53 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by chanceUK

No job or minimum level of income is required for sponsorship
To back up my statement about ability to support for spousal, you may wish to read the following: http://tinyurl.com/4rmqjew
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:16 am
Just Joined

mrs fearon has a spectacular aura aboutmrs fearon has a spectacular aura aboutmrs fearon has a spectacular aura about

Silly question, can my husband apply for an outland sponsorship from Canada for me, whilst I am in the UK or does he have to apply to London before he goes back to Canada.

He is going back in two weeks and I am staying in the UK to finalise and close everything off here.

Also, does he need any documents like marriage certificate etc. I cant find anything on the site to say what supporting documents he needs or what I need to do. Very confusing.

All help gratefully received.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs fearon
Silly question, can my husband apply for an outland sponsorship from Canada for me, whilst I am in the UK or does he have to apply to London before he goes back to Canada.

He is going back in two weeks and I am staying in the UK to finalise and close everything off here.

Also, does he need any documents like marriage certificate etc. I cant find anything on the site to say what supporting documents he needs or what I need to do. Very confusing.

All help gratefully received.
Assuming he is a Canadian citizen, he can do an outland application either from Canada or from the UK.

And yes, he needs lots of documents - there is a downloadable guide on the CIC website which includes a document checklist, do you not have that? First thing you need to do is get your medical booked and your police check ordered asap, then you can start form filling and document collecting whilst awaiting those.

Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:31 am
Just Joined

mrs fearon has a spectacular aura aboutmrs fearon has a spectacular aura aboutmrs fearon has a spectacular aura about

I found the CIC document checklist. Thank you so much for your help. All a little clearer now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.