Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Legally entitled to work in Canada?

Legally entitled to work in Canada?

Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Willows Fairydogmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legally entitled to work in Canada?

This may be a daft question, but when employers put as a requirement 'legally entitled to work in Canada', do they mean it theoretically, as in 'with a work permit once we've offered you the job', or literally, as in 'you must have PR or citizenship already'.

Thanks!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Legally entitled to work in Canada?

I'm not sure, but if i had to take a guess it would be that it means you need to be legally able to take the job on applying for it.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:15 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian citizens, permanent residents and work permit holders (including open work permit) can legally work in Canada.

Seems employer doesn't want or cannot go through LMO process and will only accept candidates who are legally entitled to work in Canada, as listed above.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:18 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willows Fairydogmum
This may be a daft question, but when employers put as a requirement 'legally entitled to work in Canada', do they mean it theoretically, as in 'with a work permit once we've offered you the job', or literally, as in 'you must have PR or citizenship already'.

Thanks!
When we put that in our ads we mean must be ready to start work immediately. I feel sure other employers do the same. When an ad goes online applications come in from all over, even when we put that.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:21 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Canadian citizens, permanent residents and work permit holders (including open work permit) can legally work in Canada.

Seems employer doesn't want or cannot go through LMO process and will only accept candidates who are legally entitled to work in Canada, as listed above.
And given the amount of time it's taking to process most LMOs in BC and Alberta, who can blame them?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as the others have said, you will need to be able to start work immediately with either citizenship, PR or open WP.

Some government jobs that I have looked say that they will give preference to Canadian citizens, over PRs or those with WPs.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
Yes, as the others have said, you will need to be able to start work immediately with either citizenship, PR or open WP.
Employer really mean "citizen or permanent resident" usually - not those with open WP. The reason for this is that many employers will not want to give permanent employment to those who only have temporary status in Canada.

Some government jobs that I have looked say that they will give preference to Canadian citizens, over PRs or those with WPs.
Only federal government, normally.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:43 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Employer really mean "citizen or permanent resident" usually - not those with open WP. The reason for this is that many employers will not want to give permanent employment to those who only have temporary status in Canada.
Not necessarily, we and others I know would hire anyone legally entitled to work providing they have the right qualifications. Many employers however do not want to go through the paperwork to bring someone in.

In Canada right now there is an extreme labour shortage and its not getting better anytime soon. We also have a migrant worker program, brining in seasonal ag workers from Mexico & the Caribbean to try and fill the void.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Not necessarily, we and others I know would hire anyone legally entitled to work providing they have the right qualifications. Many employers however do not want to go through the paperwork to bring someone in.

In Canada right now there is an extreme labour shortage and its not getting better anytime soon. We also have a migrant worker program, brining in seasonal ag workers from Mexico & the Caribbean to try and fill the void.
Depends on the job really.

Not an issue for casual/temporary work but for any kind of long term job, an employer would have to consider the risk of needing to "go through paperwork" further down the line.

Again - not an issue if it's really the right person for the job, provided there isn't an able and willing Canadian next in line.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not really Jeremy,

When employer limits offer to citizens and PR's it is always stated in the job posting.

"Legally entitled to work in Canada" phrase goes beyond "citizen and PR" and most employers who nowadays need to do quick hiring and/or can't/don't want to go through months of LMO post adds with "legally entitled" phrase and they will hire temporary workers as well.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Willows Fairydogmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all. Pretty much what I suspected. Presumably, for an open WP, you have to have had a job offer and be doing a job in Canada already (which may or may not be coming to an end). I've looked on the immigration site, and can't see an option for just applying for an open WP.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:26 am

Open work permit is for dependent spouses/common-law partners of regular work permit (for job in skilled occupation) and study permit holders as well as for post-graduate work (after graduating from eligible post-secondary program in Canada). BUNAC and other working holiday work permits are also open.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:56 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willows Fairydogmum
Thanks all. Pretty much what I suspected. Presumably, for an open WP, you have to have had a job offer and be doing a job in Canada already (which may or may not be coming to an end). I've looked on the immigration site, and can't see an option for just applying for an open WP.
I wouldn't let this stop you from applying for the position. Just be upfront about your situation. No harm in giving it a shot...

I applied for jobs in three different divisions of the company I'm working for. The first two told me it was company policy not go through the whole LMO process. Didn't let that stop me... third time it all worked out.....
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
"Legally entitled to work in Canada" phrase goes beyond "citizen and PR" and most employers who nowadays need to do quick hiring and/or can't/don't want to go through months of LMO post adds with "legally entitled" phrase and they will hire temporary workers as well.
I've seen employers use terms like that without understanding precisely what they mean.

I don't know about Canada, but people with the equivalent permit in Australia do often have difficulty getting permanent jobs because the employer doesn't want to have to think about the risk of them leaving when their spouse's work permit ends.