Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Legal Names vs Canadian Legal Names (Experts Please)

Legal Names vs Canadian Legal Names (Experts Please)

Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

tsananez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legal Names vs Canadian Legal Names (Experts Please)

My question is in regards my give names / Last names and their difference vs Canadian names standards.

My original name is divided as follows:
Ana Maria Lopez Perez (this is not my real name, it is only an example)
This is the name shown in my passport, and when I applied for residency I stated my name Ana Maria Lopez Perez. Ana is my first Name, Maria is my middle name, Lopez is my father's last name and Perez is my mother's last name.

Converting my name into Canadian standards I would be Ana Maria Lopez. However, my SIN says Ana Maria Lopez Perez, and as a consequence people think that my last name is Perez instead of Lopez.

I have had to explain the whole thing over and over again at the banks and general service providers who need my name and address. Some people assume my name as Ana Maria Lopez, other say that I am Ana Maria Perez, other say your last name should be Lopez Perez (both)...other people say that I should have it like Lopez-Perez.

As you can see there could be many combinations, and I am concerned that this can bring me a problem in the future (fraud). A person at the bank told me that I should have my name legally changed to Ana Maria Lopez, and get my Canadian ID documents re-issued again. I asked a lawyer and this could be a very expensive procedure. He told me to simply adopt one of the two last names (Lopez or Perez)...however, this does not solve the problem because my SIN shows both Lopez and Perez.

Experts, what do you advice in this case?...I think every single immigrant have a similar problem...do you know how they have done with this potential problem???...I will really appreciate if you could help me here.

Thank you very much
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all
Default Re: Legal Names vs Canadian Legal Names (Experts Please)

Originally Posted by tsananez
My question is in regards my give names / Last names and their difference vs Canadian names standards.

This is the name shown in my passport, and when I applied for residency I stated my name Ana Maria Lopez Perez. Ana is my first Name, Maria is my middle name, Lopez is my father's last name and Perez is my mother's last name.

Converting my name into Canadian standards I would be Ana Maria Lopez. However, my SIN says Ana Maria Lopez Perez, and as a consequence people think that my last name is Perez instead of Lopez.

I have had to explain the whole thing over and over again at the banks and general service providers who need my name and address. Some people assume my name as Ana Maria Lopez, other say that I am Ana Maria Perez, other say your last name should be Lopez Perez (both)...other people say that I should have it like Lopez-Perez.

As you can see there could be many combinations, and I am concerned that this can bring me a problem in the future (fraud). A person at the bank told me that I should have my name legally changed to Ana Maria Lopez, and get my Canadian ID documents re-issued again. I asked a lawyer and this could be a very expensive procedure. He told me to simply adopt one of the two last names (Lopez or Perez)...however, this does not solve the problem because my SIN shows both Lopez and Perez.

Experts, what do you advice in this case?...I think every single immigrant have a similar problem...do you know how they have done with this potential problem???...I will really appreciate if you could help me here.

Thank you very much

Could you double barrel your surnames so it'd be Lopez-Perez?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by proo
Could you double barrel your surnames so it'd be Lopez-Perez?
I do not know...they are not shown in that way in my passport or any other legal documents...I do not know if I can just "-" them, wouldn't that imply to make a legal change???
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:57 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Legal name change is not expensive at all - in most Provinces it is well under $100, including the cost of notice you must put in local paper. Looks like your lawyer is not a very honest person.

Thank you very much
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Don't worry so much about that. My fiance has identical problem and she is listed in a different way on the passport, PR, SIN and what not. Never been an issue.

Thank you very much
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Legal name change is not expensive at all - in most Provinces it is well under $100, including the cost of notice you must put in local paper. Looks like your lawyer is not a very honest person.
Very interesting!!!...I will tell you this, I do not think I would recommend my lawyer to anyone, but for different reasons...anyways, I assume you are suggesting me to do a legal change, I am interpreting your message in the right way???
Thank you very much, as usual you have been so helful…
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:08 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, exactly this is what I suggest. Simple, straightforward process and cheap. Pain in the butt later when replacing all ID's, SIN, health card and credit cards, but you have to do it once and then no problems.

Very interesting!!!...I will tell you this, I do not think I would recommend my lawyer to anyone, but for different reasons...anyways, I assume you are suggesting me to do a legal change, I am interpreting your message in the right way???
Thank you very much, as usual you have been so helful…