Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Leaving and re-entering during inland PR process

Leaving and re-entering during inland PR process

Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:28 am
Just Joined

spattullo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving and re-entering during inland PR process

Looking for experiences?

My husband is currently in Canada on a non-student open work permit through BUNAC. We applied inland for permanent residency in October 2008 so do not expect first stage approval until May or June 2009. His work permit expires in March 2009 so we need to either apply for a visitor extension or have his employer obtain a positive LMO so he can apply to extend his work permit. Either way, the extension application will still be in process when his permit expires in March but he will continue to have "implied" legal status so I believe were are OK.

We do however want to make a trip back to the UK as his father's health is deteriorating and he is having surgery in March. CIC recommends that you do not leave the country during inland PR processing as you are not guaranteed re-entry.

We were planning to come back before his current work permit expires (he has left and re-entered before without problems but re-entry is not guaranteed) but I'm still worried he will have problems at immigration, especially since we will return a few days before his permit expires (will also have a PR in-process and either a work or visitor extension in process - don't know if this will help or hinder?). I guess it really depends on the immigration officer he had when trying to re-enter.

Anyone have any recommendations or similar experiences? Please help, I am so stressed about it!

Thanks!
Shannon
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:46 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving and re-entering during inland PR process

We were going to have a similar problem late last year. Our work permits expired on the 31st December, we were due back into country on 22nd! We were in situation of waiting for our PR to be processed, and were in Canada on TWP.

After speaking to the immigration office here in Newfoundland, we were told that if we could provide proof of posting of our application to extend work permit, and a copy of that paperwork then we should have no problems getting back in. However, as luck would have it, our PR came through just a few weeks beforehand, so we didn't try it out. It certainly didn't seem to be a problem though, as long as you could prove you had taken steps to extend work permit.

Just for information as well, my husband travels abroad with work, and was in and out of the country frequently whilst on his work permit and never had any problems at all. I also was out of the country a couple of times and had no issue getting back in.