Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Leaving/re-entering Canada with an expired PR card

Wikiposts

Leaving/re-entering Canada with an expired PR card

Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

dogboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving/re-entering Canada with an expired PR card

My common-law wife an I applied for a PR card renewal 3 months ago, but still haven't received the cards. The wait times have now increased to over 100 days. Problem is, we're going on holiday to Japan in 2 weeks time. We're flying with Air Canada and have read conflicting information regarding flying with an expired PR card. We're british citizens and have been PR's for over 5 years. Citizenship application went in over a year ago.

Essentially I want to know if I need to worry if we'll be let back on the plane (or even on the one going out) without a valid PR card? I have the old one, plus print outs of the 'in process' renewal, wait times, etc and was hoping that would suffice.

I've emailed the CIC folks (as per the link for urgent processing on their webite), but had no reply.

Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for any help or words of wisdom...
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:29 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving/re-entering Canada with an expired PR card

I had the same problem back in April this year. My renewed PR card just didn't turn up in time (it finally arrived about a couple of weeks after I arrived back from the US).

I just took both my expired PR card and COPR, explained the issue at the flight desk when checking luggage in for the flight home and to CBSA and got back no problems at all.

CBSA has the ability to check your application on their computers. For the flight back, I wouldn't worry too much but if they decide to hold you up, you could also log into ECAS and show them it's in process, or show them a print out?

Originally Posted by dogboy
My common-law wife an I applied for a PR card renewal 3 months ago, but still haven't received the cards. The wait times have now increased to over 100 days. Problem is, we're going on holiday to Japan in 2 weeks time. We're flying with Air Canada and have read conflicting information regarding flying with an expired PR card. We're british citizens and have been PR's for over 5 years. Citizenship application went in over a year ago.

Essentially I want to know if I need to worry if we'll be let back on the plane (or even on the one going out) without a valid PR card? I have the old one, plus print outs of the 'in process' renewal, wait times, etc and was hoping that would suffice.

I've emailed the CIC folks (as per the link for urgent processing on their webite), but had no reply.

Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for any help or words of wisdom...
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

dogboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info - I'll take as much info as I can and keep my fingers crossed.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

See the sticky thread above on this very subject.............