Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Leaving a job and finding a new one

Wikiposts

Leaving a job and finding a new one

Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

LunaVC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving a job and finding a new one

I've been working in Edmonton since April. I came over on an LMO and obtained a work permit that tied me to the company I was working for but a month ago left the company.

Now I have until the end of this month to find a job and even if I do, how to start working for them straight away. Does anyone have any advice? I am told that a new working permit for a year takes 72 days to process, which I will be applying for tomorrow. Other than that is there anything I can do if someone wants to employ me? Is working under the table a real option? I have a social insurance number and want to stay in Canada as I have met some friends and am starting to enjoy it here now. The company I worked for before led me up the garden path and the job was not all it seems when they hired me.

Any advice anyone can give me is much appreciated. I have until the end of August to find some solution otherwise I will have to fly back home.

thanks

<email address removed - anybody wanting to contact you can do so via the forum>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 16th 2009 at 6:34 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving a job and finding a new one

Originally Posted by LunaVC
I've been working in Edmonton since April. I came over on an LMO and obtained a work permit that tied me to the company I was working for but a month ago left the company.

Now I have until the end of this month to find a job and even if I do, how to start working for them straight away. Does anyone have any advice? I am told that a new working permit for a year takes 72 days to process, which I will be applying for tomorrow. Other than that is there anything I can do if someone wants to employ me? Is working under the table a real option? I have a social insurance number and want to stay in Canada as I have met some friends and am starting to enjoy it here now. The company I worked for before led me up the garden path and the job was not all it seems when they hired me.

Any advice anyone can give me is much appreciated. I have until the end of August to find some solution otherwise I will have to fly back home.

thanks

<email address removed - anybody wanting to contact you can do so via the forum>
You cannot start working for somebody else straight away as they have to go through the same process again for you - and therefore you need the LMO first. The LMO can take several months so there is no way you'll be starting work before the end of August I'm afraid.

I think your only option is to job hunt on your remaining time there, but you'll have to fly home whilst your LMO/TWP is sorted out if you do find work. And if you don't, then you can continue to job hunt from the UK.

Whatever you do, don't work under the table as it could result in you being sent home and banned from Canada - if you have any plans to stay in Canada long term then it's just too risky.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:02 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

I thought that in Alberta and BC you can now get an LMO in 5 days?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:18 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

sorry forgot to add - if your job is on the list there.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greentea3
sorry forgot to add - if your job is on the list there.
You're thinking of E-LMO's - only a few occupations are eligible for that. It's possible that the OP's occupations is one of them, but as she mentioned a normal LMO in her first post, I doubt it.

Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:49 am
Just Joined

LunaVC is an unknown quantity at this point

my LMO is for an architectural technician

where can I find out if that is legible for a 5 day LMO?

PS I am a guy
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by LunaVC
my LMO is for an architectural technician

where can I find out if that is legible for a 5 day LMO?

PS I am a guy
Ooops, sorry! Just saw the Luna bit and assumed you were female, my bad.

Here is the list of occupations eligible for E-LMO's, architectural technician is not on there I'm afraid, sorry.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...lmoppone.shtml