Leaving Canada without PR Card

Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future
Default Leaving Canada without PR Card

Guys,

does anyone know if you can leave the country and come back in if you have not yet received your PR card?

Hope someone can help?

Thanks

John
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Canada without PR Card

If you have a passport from a visa waiver country like the UK, then returning to canada without the PR card is not a problem, especially if traveling on a return ticket.

You might get a slightly hard time at the immigration checkpoint on your return as they will have to check records, and you paper ROLF (which you should have in your passport) etc, but its far less of a hassle than postponing travel or getting a travel document.

Bare in mind the official website view is designed to cover everyone...including those who would otherwise need a visa or PR card to board a flight to Canada.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Ian,

Thanks a lot for your help. So basically, if I have my UK passport with the visa in it and the paper version then I should be fine to go to the us for a day? More importantly come home for xmas?

Thanks again

John
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You should have got your PR card by Xmas anyway...they only take a month or so.

Driving to the US doesnt require the PR card anyway, it only applies to commercial carriers. Should be no problem either way, but you know how jobsworth some US immigration types can be....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Iain,

I know. i dont get why they are like that.

I arrived here on the 7th of September and it still has not arrived. I have booked a xmas shopping trip to New York by bus on the 14th december, so getting a bit stressed. its by bus, so should be ok if i just take my passport

Thanks again

John
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by budda
Iain,

I arrived here on the 7th of September and it still has not arrived. I have booked a xmas shopping trip to New York by bus on the 14th december, so getting a bit stressed. its by bus, so should be ok if i just take my passport

Thanks again

John
Legally..should be OK....practically, given what you can expect of a bus company official looking at a british passport...who knows.

I'd be chasing up that PR card myself. Good Luck.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:21 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budda
Iain,

Thanks again

John
did you check with cpc sidney?

i landed september 19th, was then told that the pr card should take about four weeks to arrive and therefore made a slightly concerned phone call last wednesday (after 6 weeks). i was told that they sent it october 22nd - and sure enough my pr card finally arrived thursday, november 1st.

i called the hotline: 1-888-242-2100, option 1 is for pr cards, and after that take the option to talk to an agent.