Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Leaving Canada during PR application

Leaving Canada during PR application

Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Moose Mug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Canada during PR application

My family and I submitted our PR application last month. We are currently living in Canada on a work permit. Yesterday, a friend told me that you are not allowed to leave the country whilst your application is being processed. I took this with a large pinch of salt as it sounded ridiculous but does anyone out there know whether this is true or not?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

blank00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Leaving Canada during PR application

It sounds ridiculous to me too!! I don't think there is any issue here, that is unless I am missing something big!

Btw, I am in Canada on a study permit and my PR is in-process now (since last year). I left the country and returned back just last month.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:40 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

It's nonsense.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your quick answers - I'm glad you agree with me!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:26 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Moose Mug
Thank you for your quick answers - I'm glad you agree with me!
It is not nonsense if it is an in-canada spousal application where the applicant requires a TRV to re-enter Canada. They will have difficulty in returning.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It is not nonsense if it is an in-canada spousal application where the applicant requires a TRV to re-enter Canada. They will have difficulty in returning.
I agree, my dad was staying on a visa extension until his PR (In-Canada spousal) came through earlier this month, he was told by CIC not to leave the country after his stay was extended as he probably wouldn't be able to get back in....
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

What is a TRV? We all have work permits until March and my husband is the person who is applying as a skilled worker, with me and our 2 children. It is likely that he will need to go to America on a business trip. Do you think he might not get back into Canada? We applied for PR to the London office as he has (in fact we both have) permanent employment here but we haven't had any acknowledgement of our application yet. It was only sent about 3 weeks ago.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

My family and I submitted our PR application last month. We are currently living in Canada on a work permit. Yesterday, a friend told me that you are not allowed to leave the country whilst your application is being processed. I took this with a large pinch of salt as it sounded ridiculous but does anyone out there know whether this is true or not?
Hi Moose Mug,

I find this hard to believe. Since August 1st. we are here in Canada on WP. Our PR application is speeding it's way through the system (seriously) and my husband (works for an American company) has done two trips to Europe and three to Chicago since we have been here. So not sure why you friend would think that you cannot leave the country and then return

Alro
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you both have valid work permits you'll be fine. That is why they issue you with WP while your PR is processing otherwise you would be working here on implied status and returning back to Canada would be a bg issues. You work permits allow for this.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

My mind is set at rest now. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What is a TRV?
TRV = Temporary Resident Visa. You may need one, + work permit, depending on your nationality.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

If they are Brits they should be fine with their WPs. If not then I have not got a clue.