Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Leaving Canada before oath ceremony

Leaving Canada before oath ceremony

Old Jul 17th 2019, 5:43 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving Canada before oath ceremony

I’m just wondering if it’s ok to leave the country before my oath ceremony?

It it would just be for a weekend across the border to the cabin. I don’t have any big trips plans until the ceremony is done and I have the passport

My ceremony could take another 3 months (as it’s Vancouver) and it feels like a long time to not be able to go there. I also know after the ceremony, my PR card will be taken away and I won’t be able to leave without having my Canadian Passport.

Do I still need to keep a record of when I’ve been out of the country?

Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2019, 5:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Canada before oath ceremony

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

It it would just be for a weekend across the border to the cabin. I don’t have any big trips plans until the ceremony is done and I have the passport

My ceremony could take another 3 months (as it’s Vancouver) and it feels like a long time to not be able to go there. I also know after the ceremony, my PR card will be taken away and I won’t be able to leave without having my Canadian Passport.

Thanks
You are fine as long as you have your PR card to get back in.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 5:59 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You are fine as long as you have your PR card to get back in.
Thanks!

Do I still need to keep my dates of when I’m out of the country. Not sure if they ask you at the ceremony?
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

They didn’t ask us for any info at the ceremony - we had to hand in our PR cards on way in and walked out with our citizenship certificates. It then took 48 hours before we were in the system to apply for passports - bit tight for me as I was leaving the country 2 days after that 😏
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
You can leave before you obtain your Canadian passport (assuming you are not flying), so long as you have another valid passport. When returning to Canada, your citizenship will prove that you are a citizen and this is what you may need to present to anyone that questions your entitlement to enter Canada.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jul 22nd 2019 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 12:50 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You can leave before you obtain your Canadian passport (assuming you are not flying), so long as you have another valid passport. When returning to Canada, your citizenship will prove that you are a citizen and this is what you may need to present to anyone that questions your entitlement to enter Canada.
But in order to prove my Canadian Citizenship, do I not need a Canadian passport to get back into Canada - from what i understand the Citizenship Certificate is not a travel document
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But in order to prove my Canadian Citizenship, do I not need a Canadian passport to get back into Canada - from what i understand the Citizenship Certificate is not a travel document
If you haven't taken the oath at the ceremony then you are not officially a Canadian citizen and from my recollection it is at the ceremony where you hand over your PR card. You are correct the Citizenship Certificate is not a travel document. As you are only going to the USA by car no eTA is required so you could travel on your UK passport and you still have your PR card.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a travel document, that is why you would need your other passport. In theory, you could simply travel on your other passport but, if you get someone at the border that wishes to question your entitlement to be in Canada, the citizenship card proves that you are a Canadian citizen.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 4:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It's not a travel document, that is why you would need your other passport. In theory, you could simply travel on your other passport but, if you get someone at the border that wishes to question your entitlement to be in Canada, the citizenship card proves that you are a Canadian citizen.
1, Canada no longer issues citizenship cards, only the commemorative certificate