Leaving CA By Road

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:31 am
Just Joined

UK_Curious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving CA By Road

Hi All

The following question may sound stupid but i have yet to find the answer. Here is the scenario..... in steps:

1) Person goes to CA to become a landed immigrant.
2) Enters CA and stays for a few weeks.
3) Hires a car and drives down to the US and leaves the car there. (Assuming they have the visa to enter US). Seondly no-one stamps the passport on exit from CA.
4) Boards a plane to the their original country from the US. This being a round trip.

Here is the dumb question - how does CA immigration know if you are in the country or not?

I personally believe in honesty but the question was put to me by a mate while we were talking about the PR.

Thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving CA By Road

Originally Posted by UK_Curious
Hi All

3) Hires a car and drives down to the US and leaves the car there. (Assuming they have the visa to enter US). Seondly no-one stamps the passport on exit from CA.

Thanks
When you get to the border you tell the examining agent that you require an I-94 and you will be directed to secondary where you will pay $6 to have an I-94 placed in your passport.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK_Curious
Hi All

The following question may sound stupid but i have yet to find the answer. Here is the scenario..... in steps:

1) Person goes to CA to become a landed immigrant.
2) Enters CA and stays for a few weeks.
4) Boards a plane to the their original country from the US. This being a round trip.

Here is the dumb question - how does CA immigration know if you are in the country or not?

I personally believe in honesty but the question was put to me by a mate while we were talking about the PR.

Thanks
Immigration doesn't care whether the person is in the country or not. If the person is concerned about losing PR (due to failure to be in Canada for required time) it will be for the person to prove it if immigration raise it at a later date.

With no Canadian income details, or other documents to evidence that the person was living in Canada, person is likely to be unable to prove they were in Canada at the time.

Best of luck with that
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:34 am
Just Joined

UK_Curious is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses.

It is logical that the individual needs to prove their residency in CA.

Current system is quite flexible and allows you to stay out for quite a long period.

Cheers