Wikiposts

Learning French...

Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:00 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning French...

Is there anything to stop me from applying for PR now, under skilled worked category, claiming I have a moderate level of proficiency in French, and then while the application is being processed, brush up my French skills to a "moderate" standard????
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Learning French...

Hiya

You are right - there is nothing to stop you applying now and claiming a certain level of French. The onus is on you however to ensure that you provide the evidence for your claim before your application is assessed. By this you will have to take the TEF test.

This is what I did. I applied and claimed moderate French based on my studies at school and university. I wote a written statement claiming these points and backed it up with exam certificates. I also mentioned that I was taking the TEF test and would forward the results. I studied for a while (definitely get hold of the TEF book and tapes) and then took the test. When the results came through I sent them straight on to CHC.

Best of luck and if you have any questions abotu the TEF feel free to PM me.

Kaz x
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:20 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Is there anything to stop me from applying for PR now, under skilled worked category, claiming I have a moderate level of proficiency in French, and then while the application is being processed, brush up my French skills to a "moderate" standard????
Do you realise that "moderate" in TEF terms...as used by CIC to assess skills, is not at all "moderate" in real world terms. I suspect that graduates in french struggle to get a "moderate" TEF score.

Its a dangerous game to play, but under the streamlined aplication process it looks like you are free to play it...just be sure that you dont claim more than you are likely to be able to back up with the TEF results, and that you will be able to take a TEF test in the limited time CIC will give you to provide proof of language skills.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:24 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
Hiya

You are right - there is nothing to stop you applying now and claiming a certain level of French. The onus is on you however to ensure that you provide the evidence for your claim before your application is assessed. By this you will have to take the TEF test.

This is what I did. I applied and claimed moderate French based on my studies at school and university. I wote a written statement claiming these points and backed it up with exam certificates. I also mentioned that I was taking the TEF test and would forward the results. I studied for a while (definitely get hold of the TEF book and tapes) and then took the test. When the results came through I sent them straight on to CHC.

Best of luck and if you have any questions abotu the TEF feel free to PM me.

Kaz x
Thanks for that.
I got an A at GCSE level, and was intending on taking up some refresher courses. Will also get hold of the TEF book.

Cheers!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

toaster is on a distinguished road

I took the TEF about a year ago. I'm reasonable in French, and yes, it isn't all that easy. But absolutely go for it -- you've got nothing to lose. At the exam, there were people who didn't speak a word of French, but who were nevertheless still having a bash (for the conversation part, one person came up to me with the "conversation starter" para and asked me did he think it was okay to try to read out the para, because he didn't speak any French...).

Sample TEF: http://fiaf.org/frenchclasses/documents/tefsamples.pdf

And a bit of French might always do you good in Canada too Good luck and keep us posted!!

Last edited by toaster; Jan 24th 2007 at 10:11 am.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Learning French...

I did something similar - I had GCSE grade A from 9 years previously, took the AS French evening class and then sat the TEF last April. I was amazed to get the equivalent of 6 extra points from it - 2 of the 4 skill areas at moderate level and the other 2 at basic level, much better than I expected.

You'll need to work hard, and as Kaz said DEFINITELY familiarise yourself with the book and tapes as you need to know the structure/style of the test or else you will suffer!

Bonne chance!

Adele x