Language testing?

Old May 8th 2009, 11:13 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Language testing?

I was looking through the skilled worker application form guide and it says you need to prove proficiency of your language through language testing. Here's me thinking my GCSE certificates in English and French would be enough Anyway, I was wondering if you have to take the tests for both French and English? Also, how much do they cost to sit, roughly?

Any input is welcome and thanks in advance
Old May 9th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Language testing?

If you are claiming points for French you have to take the TEF - basic level is apparently A level standard - and submit results. There has been talk in past about degree level French being acceptable, but immo officer recently said they prefer the TEF results.

If you are not born in a country where English is native language you have to take the English equivalent (IELTS). If you were born in UK you will not need to take any test to prove your English, although I am going to include a covering letter stating this and fact UK educated - just to make sure!
Old May 9th 2009, 1:05 am
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
If you are claiming points for French you have to take the TEF - basic level is apparently A level standard - and submit results. There has been talk in past about degree level French being acceptable, but immo officer recently said they prefer the TEF results.

If you are not born in a country where English is native language you have to take the English equivalent (IELTS). If you were born in UK you will not need to take any test to prove your English, although I am going to include a covering letter stating this and fact UK educated - just to make sure!
Oh, ok, thanks! So I wouldn't have to take an English test as I am born and bred in the UK but a French test is a must. Any ideas how much it costs?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:44 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

my dh was born in singapore ( BFPO) he is a british citizen and schooled heer, worked heer all his life ( they moved back here when he was 6) does eh need to include a letter saying how english he is? he would pee himself laughing if he had to take an english exam just cos he wasnt born here.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by engineer80
Oh, ok, thanks! So I wouldn't have to take an English test as I am born and bred in the UK but a French test is a must. Any ideas how much it costs?
Between £150 and £300 I believe, depending on whether you take just the obligatories or the optionals as well.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by __TJ__
my dh was born in singapore ( BFPO) he is a british citizen and schooled heer, worked heer all his life ( they moved back here when he was 6) does eh need to include a letter saying how english he is? he would pee himself laughing if he had to take an english exam just cos he wasnt born here.
Just a letter would be fine explaining this.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by engineer80
Also, do get it booked early on as there can sometimes be a long wait for a test place.

And, as singingringingtree said, 'basic' level is anything but! So unless you can converse quite happily in French and are beyond A level standard, you'll need to brush up.

Good luck.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

TEF test cost 120 pounds at the Alliance Francaise in Manchester and they only do them 1 few times a year. (We did our in March)

See my reply on the other post about levels and preparation.

Hope this helps

Lucy