Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice
Default Re: Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Yes, my bad.... the April 2010 op06 is the only one messing up with applicants, and it is the only one I didn't looked at... every other op06 I found accepts only General test.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

kat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura about

OK so I can't make a General test so am going to do the Academic one and send a written submission since i applied before June 26 - Surely that will suffice!!! What a Stress!!! :-))
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't see why it should matter which one you do. It just seems incredibly unfair to people who have to take academic one for employment reasons, to make them take the general one as well is just stupid.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kat-b
OK so I can't make a General test so am going to do the Academic one and send a written submission since i applied before June 26 - Surely that will suffice!!! What a Stress!!! :-))
Why are you even taking one? Sorry but you've asked this question again and again, and each time been told that you don't need to submit an IELTS result as you applied before the rules changed on 26th June.

So why are you taking an IELTS, especially an Academic one which CIC don't even accept! As our resident experts have previously told you, a written submission stating you are a native English speaker etc, will suffice.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:44 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Save your money, kat-b! If you applied before the new rules, this is an unnecessary expense and delay. Are you a native English speaker or have you been educated in England? If so, your written submission will be enough anyway.
Perhaps you are adding to your stress with things that don't apply to you?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:07 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I think Katb needs to take the test for some career reason.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:57 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I think Katb needs to take the test for some career reason.
It is true that they seem to run the Academic one a lot more often than the General one in this country and the area of Canada OH is going to, but I'm not sure it is wise to do any test other than the one they ask for in your particular circumstances. I take it from Kat-b's post that if any, she should be doing the General one.
The wait is only about two weeks between General tests at UK institutions, so it is not a huge delay and if you are prepared to travel out of your area to take the test, as we are doing, then there is quite a lot of choice. You do need to move fast to get places, though - no hanging around!
It is also worth contacting institutions to see if they have places, even if it says they are full on the website. We found somewhere that said it was full on the automated check, but when we enquired in person they had 3 places left, so it is worth chasing up in person.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:18 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

And she does not need the test for he PR appl. She applied before the new reg.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:02 pm
Island life at last

Yes, it seems so.
OH is doing his writing 'mock' as we speak. Guess who's doing marking duty tomorrow?
School's supposed to be out!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

kat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Wow I just arrived home to this discussion :-) I really appreciate you all replying!

I don't need to take the test for career reasons. I am a native English speaker. I have a law degree and LLM at Distinction level and don't speak any other languages. I'm a cop and have to communicate a lot!!

Oops I know my repeated posts are a bit annoying, i'm getting sick of it myself but I keep getting different answers on other forums. What some people are saying is that the visa offices are getting very strict and perhaps not giving people full points for each language category (speaking listening, etc) I need the full 16 points here so my fear is that the VO looks at the evidence and decides I haven't actually evidenced my listening ability to the standard required and gives me 3 instead of 4 points......maybe i'm being ridiculous but I am getting this impression from others (maybe non native speakers though). Imagine I lost out by i language point!

My logic was that I use the Academic test result to back up my written submission, just some extra evidence for them to take into account.

I didn't even consider doing any of this before i started gathering my docs and reading too many forums! The new rules have confused everything as now the only visa office specific instructions (1.e the link from the 120 day email) are the new ones which require General IELTS so the doubt starts to creep in!

Yes I can travel but I work three weekends out of five and staffing levels suck so its difficult to get them off and am going to canada in Sept for a few weeks so my next General date would be 9 Oct which will hold up my application and i'll need a new police cert, not the end of the world but a pain!

As I keep saying I really want to move to Canada so want to make sure I do this right!!

AND YES PROBABLY ADDING TO MY STRESS FOR NO REASON :-( THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT AND ALL THE ADVICE ESP THE ADVICE GIVEN MORE THAN ONCE! xx

Last edited by kat-b; Aug 3rd 2010 at 7:25 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:53 am
Island life at last

Hi

Wow I just arrived home to this discussion :-) I really appreciate you all replying!

I don't need to take the test for career reasons. I am a native English speaker. I have a law degree and LLM at Distinction level and don't speak any other languages. I'm a cop and have to communicate a lot!!

Oops I know my repeated posts are a bit annoying, i'm getting sick of it myself but I keep getting different answers on other forums. What some people are saying is that the visa offices are getting very strict and perhaps not giving people full points for each language category (speaking listening, etc) I need the full 16 points here so my fear is that the VO looks at the evidence and decides I haven't actually evidenced my listening ability to the standard required and gives me 3 instead of 4 points......maybe i'm being ridiculous but I am getting this impression from others (maybe non native speakers though). Imagine I lost out by i language point!

My logic was that I use the Academic test result to back up my written submission, just some extra evidence for them to take into account.

I didn't even consider doing any of this before i started gathering my docs and reading too many forums! The new rules have confused everything as now the only visa office specific instructions (1.e the link from the 120 day email) are the new ones which require General IELTS so the doubt starts to creep in!

Yes I can travel but I work three weekends out of five and staffing levels suck so its difficult to get them off and am going to canada in Sept for a few weeks so my next General date would be 9 Oct which will hold up my application and i'll need a new police cert, not the end of the world but a pain!

As I keep saying I really want to move to Canada so want to make sure I do this right!!

AND YES PROBABLY ADDING TO MY STRESS FOR NO REASON :-( THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT AND ALL THE ADVICE ESP THE ADVICE GIVEN MORE THAN ONCE! xx
Reading forums can be confusing and worrying at times - I have found it so myself. Some places do the IELTS on a Thursday, if that's better for you. Or you could book to take it in Canada if you are there for a few weeks. I know how eager you are to apply - so are we and the thought of having to do all this paperwork again does not appeal!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helcat12
Reading forums can be confusing and worrying at times - I have found it so myself. Some places do the IELTS on a Thursday, if that's better for you. Or you could book to take it in Canada if you are there for a few weeks. I know how eager you are to apply - so are we and the thought of having to do all this paperwork again does not appeal!
I know thats my fear!! But if (as everyone on this forum says) IELTS is not actually required as i applied before June 26 then I might just stick with the written submission get either a cop at work or a lawyer to write an extra page just supporting what i have written. I do think I'm probably reading too much into this. Its just annoying that the visa specific rules have also changed now. I wish they had left a link for pre June applicants to avoid any confusion as it just creates extra stress. Hope everyone else is getting somewhere with their applications :-))
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

Hi
Don't know if this helps anyone,we were really worried about this to but i emailed the visa office and this is the reply i got

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are claiming points for English language ability and English is not your first language, you are strongly advised to submit IELTS test results. If you are claiming points for French language ability and French is not your first language, you are strongly advised to submit TEF test results.

Points for language ability will be awarded based on language test results from an approved organization or a written submission. If you choose not to provide test results, your language ability will be assessed on the basis of the information on file. This may result in your application being refused for insufficient points.

Please note that if you provide IELTS or TEF results that were more than 12 months old at the time you submitted your application, you may have to provide updated ones.

If you have submitted an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker category, on or after June 26, 2010, please see the following website for more information regarding language testing: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ge-testing.asp

Yours sincerely,

Client Service Unit (LIB)

This put my mind at rest ,so we are just going to do a letter.
jamie
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by jamie677
Hi
Don't know if this helps anyone,we were really worried about this to but i emailed the visa office and this is the reply i got

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are claiming points for English language ability and English is not your first language, you are strongly advised to submit IELTS test results. If you are claiming points for French language ability and French is not your first language, you are strongly advised to submit TEF test results.

Points for language ability will be awarded based on language test results from an approved organization or a written submission. If you choose not to provide test results, your language ability will be assessed on the basis of the information on file. This may result in your application being refused for insufficient points.

Please note that if you provide IELTS or TEF results that were more than 12 months old at the time you submitted your application, you may have to provide updated ones.

If you have submitted an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker category, on or after June 26, 2010, please see the following website for more information regarding language testing: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ge-testing.asp

Yours sincerely,

Client Service Unit (LIB)

This put my mind at rest ,so we are just going to do a letter.
jamie
Let me guess this letter is pre 26/06/10. If you read the instructions all FSW applications to Sydney must be accompanied by the IELTs results.

page 7 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf

Proof of Language Proficiency
You must submit language test results from a designated testing agency to the CIO with your application.

Checklist

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5612E.PDF #9

If you send it without the IELTs and it is post 26/06/10 it is coming back.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

Hi
Had the email from the visa office 6/7/2010.
I applied before the 26th so its for anyone who applied before the new rules .
I sent an email to ask for myself just to be sure that i didnt have to do the test.

Last edited by jamie677; Aug 4th 2010 at 5:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.