Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Can people please stop quoting a post I bashed out days ago in an angry rage? :P
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Can people please stop quoting a post I bashed out days ago in an angry rage? :P
Just a tad touchy are we then
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

are the test results valid indefinitely or is there an imposed limit, like with police certs?
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Officially, the IELTS is valid for 2 years, however I believe you have to have a year left on the IELTS at the time of submission.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

For Canada immigration purposes, IELTS is only valid for one year. Otherwise, IELTS results are valid for 2 years.

Ray
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

kat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

Ok I received my 120 day email today and I'm still confused about this! The more I read the more confused I get! If my application was received by CIO SYdney in April PRIOR TO JUNE 26 2010 and therefore assessed under the old rules can I still send a written submission to London instead of sitting IELTS.

Thanks
Katie
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:54 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kat-b
Hi,

Ok I received my 120 day email today and I'm still confused about this! The more I read the more confused I get! If my application was received by CIO SYdney in April PRIOR TO JUNE 26 2010 and therefore assessed under the old rules can I still send a written submission to London instead of sitting IELTS.

Thanks
Katie
Yes,
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

kat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Yes,
Hi,

Thanks so much for that I have been stressing :-( as people on other threads are saying I need to follow the NEW London Visa Office instructions as this is where the link on the 120 day email takes you! My head has been melting trying to find an answer tonight!!! Sorry not being rude just so scared I screw it up - are you sure?? :-))

Thanks again!
Katie
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Yes,
Hi again,

Sorry to keep bugging you about this but you seem to know what you are talking about and I don't want to get this wrong! I understand from your post that if I sent my initial application to CIO Sydney on 13 APRIL 2010 and received my 120 day email on 30 JULY 2010 I can still send a written submission. How do you know his information?

As a native English speaker will my birth cert, secondary school and university transcripts (to Masters (Distinction) level) along with my past few years work experience be sufficient in the eyes of the VO for max points? I am currently employed as a Police Officer in the UK.

Thanks
Kat-b
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

gooodman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
The UK government would wholheartedly disagree with that statement of course!

Exam results have never been higher and of course exams aren't getting easier
This reminds me of an article that I read recently...

http://educationalissues.suite101.co...ld-stop-making

It is possible that the Canadian immigration policy makers might have seen this...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ame-right.html
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kat-b
Hi again,

Sorry to keep bugging you about this but you seem to know what you are talking about and I don't want to get this wrong! I understand from your post that if I sent my initial application to CIO Sydney on 13 APRIL 2010 and received my 120 day email on 30 JULY 2010 I can still send a written submission. How do you know his information?

As a native English speaker will my birth cert, secondary school and university transcripts (to Masters (Distinction) level) along with my past few years work experience be sufficient in the eyes of the VO for max points? I am currently employed as a Police Officer in the UK.

Thanks
Kat-b
1. Operations bulletin http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2010/ob166.asp
2. Yes , if you were born in the UK education was in English, language at the home was in English, language at work is English. I don't know how they treat the Welsh though.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, just got back from the University of Liverpool after taking the IELTS exam, phew. The test was in four parts, listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The listening part of the exam was quite tricky, the first part of it was just listening to some dialogue being spoken for a few minutes and then reading it from the test page at the same time. Then filling in some missing words on the test sheet as you listened to the dialogue. Quite straight forward really.

The second part was similar but had missing words and multi choice answers given in the form of a short sentence that has the same meaning as the dialogue being spoken. But not written the same. As you were listening to the dialogue and reading it off on the test page, you were looking at the choices A to F for the missing sentence, and at the same time missing what the speaker was saying. the third part involved listening to dialogue about research into how people pay bills, regarding mobile phones, I don't think that I have passed that part as I was totally lost. The other two parts of the listening test were on the same grounds.

The next test was reading. The first part involved reading a page with about 3 paragraphs on it that were referring to a motorbike test in New Zealand. And the answers given in the form of true, false, not given. Again quite straight forward. The second test involved reading a page with about 6 paragraphs on their, and referred to laboratory safety in a university. And just involved filling in missing words that either had to be answered as the paragraphs were written or slightly reworded with the same meaning. The third test involved the same criteria but involved a page giving instructions on how to fill in an application form at an online job agency, again with missing words on the test sheet but one question with a grammatical twist. The fourth part involved reading two pages of about 7 paragraphs labeled A to F. About the invention of the abacus, to the development of the pocket calculator. Then asked questions like which paragraph would give information about the other use of an abacus other than counting. Or what date was the first pocket calculator available for public purchase. Quite tricky as you really had to read in depth to find the answer.

The third part of the test was the writing part. Where you were asked to write two letters, the first being a letter/note to someone you were looking after their house for, and you had broken something in their house. And you had to explain how it happened and what action you had taken, and what you intended to do about it. The second letter was about your opinion on young people travelling around the world, and you could use your own experiences to comment on it. The first letter had to be at least 150 words long, and the second letter had to be at least 25 words long.

The fourth and final part was the speaking test. All this involved was having a short conversation with someone about a general topic given to you. Mine was about the general health of the British public. I just really give an opinion on why I thought that Britain was starting to be a fat country. Regarding lack of exercise and eating high energy foods and not burning it off. And that low fat foods did not keep peoples weight down as they still contained high calories. I just came out with a load of old fanny about it and we just bounced off each other with the general conversation. I think I was in there about ten minutes, then the test was over. I will find out how I have done in thirteen days time.

All I can say is that the test doesn't really prove that you are proficient in the English language. As there is no consideration for punctuation, spelling and general grammar. I remember doing my 16 plus exam for english nearly thirty years ago. And having to submit course work in the form of essays from the past two years in English, then sit an exam that involved the usual spelling, grammar, punctuation, and reading short stories then rewriting them in my own words. I expected something like this in the test itself. I purchased the IELTS practice book and it came with a CD rom, they both give examples of how the test is set out. Heres the link if your interested. http://www.cambridgeesol.org/shop.

Anyway I hope I get high enough marks to be considered for the skilled worker class. I don't feel confident about passing the second part as I got totally lost. It will be interesting to know though if I fail, will this mean that I can no longer speak English and should take lessons?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Mojovibe hope you did well, best wishes.

It appears that you took the Academic version of the test. This is not a problem, it will be accepted, but General version would suffice for Canada immigration. General version is much easier.

Just wanted to mention if any one else is going to be taking the test, General version is all that is needed for Canada immigration.

However, for preparation, if you study for the Academic version, it would be better. It will prepare you better.

Ray
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raymasa
It appears that you took the Academic version of the test. This is not a problem, it will be accepted, but General version would suffice for Canada immigration.
Are you sure about that? I know they started accepting Academic version in April, but thought they'd recently changed back to only accepting General again?

The CIC website says: "Note: IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: “General Training” and “Academic.” You must take the “General Training” option."
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually I took the general version, you need to have the academic version if your a proffessional. The thing that makes me wonder though, the questions for both the tests were the same. There was a nurse there who is hoping to get into Australia, and she needed to do the academic version, a requirement for nursing. It must be a higher score than the general version, not too sure though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.