Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Does the test have to be taken before you send off the forms to Sydney then?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Does the test have to be taken before you send off the forms to Sydney then?
Test results with all forms and all supporting documents must now be submitted all together to CIO.

Read carefully pls:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp

But if you can include test result in the package without taking the test then good for you...

Last edited by crazy72; Jun 27th 2010 at 12:11 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Forgive me but does CIO stand for Canadian Immigration Officer? If so is this the one in Sydney NS? where you send your application form off. Its just that all the abbreviations used on this site I'm not familiar with and they take some deciphering.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Forgive me but does CIO stand for Canadian Immigration Officer? If so is this the one in Sydney NS? where you send your application form off. Its just that all the abbreviations used on this site I'm not familiar with and they take some deciphering.
No, it stands for Central Intake Office. So far there is only one CIO in Sydney, NS.

Look into Wiki (link in the top bar) for abbreviations.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

OK thankyou for that.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Thats unbeleivable, has anybody looked at the actual exam for highly proficient in English? It seems to suggest that you have a degree in the English language.
Did you looked at the Academic or General IELTS? For Canada immigration you need General, which shouldn't be difficult at all for native speakers and should be able to score at least 7 in each area.

Ray
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:35 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Although I really feel for the people who have suddenly got caught up in this , it was inevitable that this was going to come in at some point.

Australia has similar requirements , although they do give you some points without sitting the test ( you need it to claim max language points)

I think the problem is there can be a world of difference in the language abilities of people who claim that their education was in the English language and it is becoming more and more difficult for CIC to make that distinction.

A word of caution for those about to sit the test, you may have the language skills but without practice in the exam technique you are not guaranteed to pass.

A brief search on the Aussie forums shows that the test format itself can be tricky , so please get some practice in first.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
A word of caution for those about to sit the test, you may have the language skills but without practice in the exam technique you are not guaranteed to pass.

A brief search on the Aussie forums shows that the test format itself can be tricky , so please get some practice in first.
That is a very good point. Official IELTS book and practice exam book should be able at your local library. Zoe is correct that exam taking technique is essential.

Ray
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:53 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by raymasa
Did you looked at the Academic or General IELTS? For Canada immigration you need General, which shouldn't be difficult at all for native speakers and should be able to score at least 7 in each area.

Ray
CIC will accept either academic or general. You need 6.5 except for Listening which is 7.5 to receive 16 points.
Amendment, according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf Sec 11.5 it says both are acceptable, although http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ge-testing.asp dated 26.06.10 says only General, so your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by PMM; Jun 27th 2010 at 5:22 pm. Reason: update
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
...@$%#!

Well, if they return my app to me, they've royally screwed up my immigration path. To apply within Canada I believe I have to have 12 months left on my work permit at the time of the application (though I can't remember where I read that). By the time I've had the test done and got the results most likely I will only have 9 or 10 months on it.

If I had known they were going to do this I would've gotten the test done months ago.
I notice from your timeline that you're applying under Cat 3 of FSW, and that's the category they've got rid of, so presumably that's more of a worry than the language requirements changing?

it was received before 26th.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 27th 2010 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Educational standards have now fallen so far that even a degree from a British (or Australian) university is no guarantee of language competence.

At least, not at a level required for professional employment.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:20 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Educational standards have now fallen so far that even a degree from a British (or Australian) university is no guarantee of language competence.

At least, not at a level required for professional employment.
The UK government would wholheartedly disagree with that statement of course!

Exam results have never been higher and of course exams aren't getting easier
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:57 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Nonetheless some mother tongue speakers do get poor scores, particularly in reading comprehension. Also, it may ease the pain to know that all licensed consultants had to pass the same IELTS test or its equivalent. I found it a challenge but passed. I am retired now so it was a bit of a waste.

Last edited by Jim Humphries; Jun 27th 2010 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

From what I've seen the main pitfall that native speakers hit in the comprehension is using their own knowledge rather than sticking to what is written down.

For instance you may be presented with a paragraph of text then asked whether a statement about it is true, false or it doesn't say

you may fall in to the trap of knowing the statement is true so putting that ad an answer where in fact the paragraph doesn't say it is true !

Funnily enough I'm not aware of many " native" speakers who have problems with the spoken part of the test.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
From what I've seen the main pitfall that native speakers hit in the comprehension is using their own knowledge rather than sticking to what is written down.

For instance you may be presented with a paragraph of text then asked whether a statement about it is true, false or it doesn't say

you may fall in to the trap of knowing the statement is true so putting that ad an answer where in fact the paragraph doesn't say it is true !

Funnily enough I'm not aware of many " native" speakers who have problems with the spoken part of the test.
This (deaf) native speaker would have had difficulty with the listening part of the test as I did in the TEF where I scored 0 compared to a 5 in the viva. I see that accommodations are allowed for the test but it would still mean that my language skills would not be assessed accurately by this method.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.